16 illegals sue Arizona rancher
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:12:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  16 illegals sue Arizona rancher
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 16 illegals sue Arizona rancher  (Read 9714 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2009, 02:08:36 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
(more at link)
What the funk?  How do these people think they have more rights than I (an American citizen) would in the same situation?  This kind of thing makes no sense to me.  What kind of judge would accept this case?
US District Judge John Roll is an asshole for wasting everybody's time.
Mr Barnett is a FF.  The Fed's, the lawyers and the illegals are douchebags.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:33:55 AM »

Yep...Mr. Barnett is clearly correct here.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »

If it was his land, there is no case. If he was doing this on state or federal property it might be a different story.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 03:04:33 PM »

He might have been slightly over the top, in my opinion, but this lawsuit clearly needs to be thrown out.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 07:32:42 PM »

This is absurd.  The case needs to be thrown out, and John Roll should personally pay Barnett's court costs.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 12:10:06 AM »

He might have been slightly over the top, in my opinion, but this lawsuit clearly needs to be thrown out.
He's been putting up with it for 10 years.  10 years of broken fences.  10 years of dirty diapers and armed drug mules.  If he shot these people I'd understand.  I wouldn't agree with it, but I'd understand.
Mesu
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 07:41:27 AM »

This is absurd.  The case needs to be thrown out, and John Roll should personally pay Barnett's court costs.

This case was not absurd and should be taken seriously.

This case was decided last year and he had pay but and only a small fraction of his victims were seeking.

http://www.maldef.org/immigration/litigation/vicente_v_barnett/

Mr. Barnett should not be able to do anything he wishes to someone just because they on his property illegally. He even kicked one of the women who was on the ground that he held at gunpoint. If a police office did that to someone they were holding at gunpoint until backup arrives then they should fired at minimum. You can't fire someone making a citizens arrest so suing him makes sense. This case was very important because Mr. Barnett lives in a county that overwhelming support his actions so he would never be able to be convicted in criminal court so civil court was the only way he could be held responsible for his actions.

He has a history of going to far when he thinks he is dealing with illegal immigrants

An earlier case involving him:

http://www.maldef.org/immigration/litigation/morales_v_barnett/
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 08:23:44 AM »

You'd think the mules (often rapists) would learn to avoid the ranch if he was that big of a headache to them as they broke the law.
Mesu
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 06:24:26 AM »

You'd think the mules (often rapists) would learn to avoid the ranch if he was that big of a headache to them as they broke the law.

What does that have to do with this case?

Mules that rape people who paid them to guide them across the border get their power from the fact their customers can't cross safely on their own and can't report the rape to anyone who will do anything to help them. Roger Barnett's actions even contribute to this problem. Border Patrol projects that divert crossings to remote areas contribute more.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 07:20:51 AM »

You realize we can't let everybody in that wants in right?
sbos_wx
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 08:00:04 AM »

Violating civil rights? What civil rights do Mexican National's have on American soil?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 08:14:07 AM »

Well a lot actually, but that doesn't give them the "right" to be on some dude's property that doesn't want them there.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 11:11:45 AM »

I think the guy should get a prize for not plugging them full of bullet holes, rather than simply turning them over to the Border Patrol.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 07:47:05 PM »

This case was not absurd and should be taken seriously.

This case was decided last year and he had pay but and only a small fraction of his victims were seeking.

http://www.maldef.org/immigration/litigation/vicente_v_barnett/

Mr. Barnett should not be able to do anything he wishes to someone just because they on his property illegally. He even kicked one of the women who was on the ground that he held at gunpoint. If a police office did that to someone they were holding at gunpoint until backup arrives then they should fired at minimum. You can't fire someone making a citizens arrest so suing him makes sense. This case was very important because Mr. Barnett lives in a county that overwhelming support his actions so he would never be able to be convicted in criminal court so civil court was the only way he could be held responsible for his actions.

He has a history of going to far when he thinks he is dealing with illegal immigrants

An earlier case involving him:

http://www.maldef.org/immigration/litigation/morales_v_barnett/

This case is clearly absurd and should have never gone to a jury in the first place.   The illegal alien trespassers have no right to go onto Mr. Barnett's property, and Mr. Barnett is right to assume that any coyote accompanying illegal immigrants is armed and dangerous.  He has a right to defend his property and the right to use a gun and a dog to do so.

MALDEF is an anti-American, pro-Mexico legal organization that aids and abets criminal behavior.  They should be brought up on RICO charges for aiding and abetting illegal immigration into this country.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 08:18:02 PM »

Wait so...they're here illegally, and they're suing someone?  What the fuck?
Mesu
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 07:04:36 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2010, 05:44:45 AM by Mesu »

You realize we can't let everybody in that wants in right?

What I realize isn't important for this lawsuit. Even though I haven't heard of a precedent of a country letting everybody in and then being unable to survive because of letting them in. And before the Chinese exclusion act of 1882 everybody was let in.

This case is clearly absurd and should have never gone to a jury in the first place.   The illegal alien trespassers have no right to go onto Mr. Barnett's property, and Mr. Barnett is right to assume that any coyote accompanying illegal immigrants is armed and dangerous.  He has a right to defend his property and the right to use a gun and a dog to do so.

The case mentions him assaulting them. It sounds like this happened after they were detained and waiting for the border patrol(it could have happen before but if he assumed they had guns why assault? wouldn't that dangerous. And if someone is lying on the ground and you have a gun why kick them? It sounded like he assaulted them because he could). Isn't the right to shoot someone on your property is based on self defense?

I mean if there are no limitations on what someone could do to a trespasser theoretically someone could kidnap or rape someone who was on their property illegally. I would be shocked if any court in country wouldn't convict someone for doing that. Mr Barnett didn't do that but his actions were still wrong.

MALDEF is an anti-American, pro-Mexico legal organization that aids and abets criminal behavior.  They should be brought up on RICO charges for aiding and abetting illegal immigration into this country.

They help a lot of Mexican Americans with scholarships and also they represent US citizens(click on the Morales v. Barnett link on my other post). It's important that they represent illegal immigrants also because it would be very difficult for them to be represented otherwise.

EDIT: I reread what was claimed on MALDEFs site a 3rd time and the young was wasn't the one kicked on the ground(The first time I read it I didn't notice that there was a young teenager then the second time I misread).

The woman kicked on the ground was an adult and the young teenagers was only in the group fearing for her life.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 11:43:08 AM »

These folks were foreign nationals who illegally crossed the border and were detained.  The girl who was "struck" might have tried to get away, we can't be sure.  These peoples became criminals the secod they crossed the border without Visas and should be treated as such only insofar as is necessary to send them back home.  I really don't see why they are suing the rancher, it is as if a guy broke into someone's house and then the homeowner hits him and ties him up until the police get there.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 09:19:25 PM »

I applaud mesu for taking a devils advocate position for an indefensible event. The rancher was 150% right o/c.
Mesu
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 11:50:51 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2010, 12:30:09 AM by Mesu »

The girl who was "struck" might have tried to get away, we can't be sure.  

I also speculated about what might have happened, but neither of us heard the case argued from the perspective of one of the jurists. It's their job to determine what most likely happened. Considering the fact that the pool of jury comes from a conservative county where Mr. Barnett has many supporters, the case must have been very compelling since they wouldn't be eager to find him liable.
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »

Illegal aliens shouldn't even be able to file a lawsuit in our court system, as far as I'm concerned. They are here illegally. This is beyond ridiculous.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 11:19:21 PM »

Illegal aliens shouldn't even be able to file a lawsuit in our court system, as far as I'm concerned. They are here illegally. This is beyond ridiculous.

So you're saying that they don't have rights?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 02:44:58 AM »

Am I the only one to think that pointing a gun at someone is a crime ? No matter how much Mr Barnett loves his property, he should find another way to "defend" it.
The suit is fully justified.
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 01:31:37 PM »

So you're saying that they don't have rights?

Show me where I said that. I didn't. If a crime is committed against anyone, it should be prosecuted. My point is that I don't think someone that has broken the law to come here should be able to file a lawsuit. That's all I'm saying.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »

Am I the only one to think that pointing a gun at someone is a crime ? No matter how much Mr Barnett loves his property, he should find another way to "defend" it.
The suit is fully justified.

See, in a free country, like the US, we have the right to defend our property with a firearm.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 12:49:01 AM »

Welcome back States.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies