When does Specter face retribution? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:06:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  When does Specter face retribution? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When does Specter face retribution?  (Read 26117 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: February 12, 2009, 08:17:28 PM »

Everytime I see this thread it reminds me of the end the of the movie, Scarface.

In all seriousness without Toomey it will be more difficult to primary Specter. What we are looking for is a Conservative from the Southeast. The obvious choice would be Bruce Castor. However he might be more interested in the Lt. Governorship and although its nothing compared to the Senate there is a much better chance of winning especially if its a Corbett-Castor matchup then having to first primary a long term incumbent, followed by a run in a much more partisan race then Gov/Lt. Gov.

A second choice would be former State House Speaker Dennis O'Brian. How conservative he is is a question I will leave for Phil to answer. Whether he would dare take on the daunting specter of a Senate race is also something he could better answer.

Thirdly back when Pat Meehan was all Phil kept talking about in terms of the Governorship he mentioned as a possible Lt. Gov candidate State Senator John Pippy. Seeing as how the west has no important elected offical save for Atty Gen Corbett and Wagner(I am forgetting his position right now), they usually would like to have some people higher up the food chain like a Governor or a Senator. Again the question must be asked. Does Pippy have what it takes to challenge Specter and would he do it? His chances would be better then Toomey's in both primary and general cause he has a larger base and Santorum's in the general  cause he is not as hated. 

I am not predicted anything I just thought I would put these three names out there. I am mostly looking to see the opinion of Phil and Flyers on these.   
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:56:31 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I usually don't quote my own posts but I would really like to see some opinions on these rising stars as to whether they might challenge Specter and what there chances would be in the primary and the general. Appearantly everyone was "distracted" they didn't see it.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:20:13 PM »

I usually don't quote my own posts but I would really like to see some opinions on these rising stars as to whether they might challenge Specter and what there chances would be in the primary and the general. Appearantly everyone was "distracted" they didn't see it.

Wow. I didn't see that post.

Well, there is one name I won't comment on for...uh...personal reasons.  Wink But it's spelled "O'Brien."  Tongue

Castor is awesome. He was interested in running for Lt. Governor but now he's having some trouble in Montco so it looks like even that's out.

Meehan is probably sticking with the Gubernatorial race and even if he dropped out, he wouldn't do the Senate race. He and Specter are close.

Pippy would be great but I think he's another Lt. Governor possibility. He'd be great in both the primary and General. He comes from the west so that would make it especially hard for his opponents. By the way, Wagner is the Auditor General.

Exactly what kind of trouble is Castor in? Nothing mojor I hope. He was my bet for the best to run for the Class 1 Senate seat(Yes I know Casey is the invincible laviathan incarnate) in 2012 or 2018. He would be best positioned being Lt Gov and having won statewide.

I really wasn;t asking about Meehan since I thought he was more likely to go for the Governorship.

Pippy would be great for three Governor candidates. Meehan, Toomey, and Gerlach. But he would be horrible for Corbett being a fellow westerner would probably give Philly a heart attack having a ticket with two candidates from the west on it. I am going to bump my 2010 PA Governorship topic in the Governor section so we can talk in more detail about the Governorship and include recent events.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 08:51:13 PM »

Haha. Good luck primarying Snowe and Collins with right-wingers.

Snowe and Collins could win as Democrats. It might not be long before Maine has two Democratic Senators with no changes of person.

Heck its Maine. They could win as Indies. It would be nice if we could find a strong candidate for the Governorship of Maine. Our last nominee was just too conservative. I am also hopeful that in a midterm we could make some moves on the House seats again. I had hoped that Michoud would won for Governor but as long as he is in the House he is safe. Pingree seems like the type of partisan Dem that could lose in a heavilly Dem district kind of in the same way Bill Sali lost ID-01.

Back on topic. Primarying the "Maine Ladies" would be a very stupid move indeed. There is no conservative base and  no history of electing conservatives in the last 40 years. The only way I would support of a primary of either would be if they a Libertarian ran agianst them and thus had a better chance of winning the general and even then it would be doubtful. 
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 09:27:52 AM »

I hope he's primaried in his next election (too lazy to look up when that is).  Sadly, I don't think he'll lose.

Wow. I didn't see that post.

Well, there is one name I won't comment on for...uh...personal reasons.  Wink But it's spelled "O'Brien."  Tongue

Castor is awesome. He was interested in running for Lt. Governor but now he's having some trouble in Montco so it looks like even that's out.

Meehan is probably sticking with the Gubernatorial race and even if he dropped out, he wouldn't do the Senate race. He and Specter are close.

Pippy would be great but I think he's another Lt. Governor possibility. He'd be great in both the primary and General. He comes from the west so that would make it especially hard for his opponents. By the way, Wagner is the Auditor General.

Exactly what kind of trouble is Castor in? Nothing mojor I hope. He was my bet for the best to run for the Class 1 Senate seat(Yes I know Casey is the invincible laviathan incarnate) in 2012 or 2018. He would be best positioned being Lt Gov and having won statewide.

Casey's isn't invincible; it's just unlikely that we'll beat the guy. That being said, Castor would be an excellent candidate to take him on especially if 2012 is a good year for us. It should be noted that Casey's approval rating is only at 54% right now. Kind of surprising considering many in this state see the name and you're almost instantly hitting close to 60% favorability.

Yes I noticed that his approvals are coming down. People starting to get to know the real Jr.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies