Just a thought...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:31:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Just a thought...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Just a thought...  (Read 2182 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2009, 08:02:18 PM »

Things have sort of been chugging along for a year now with no real developments. I've been watching it for much of that time (I even posted in a thread back in about August, I think) but only just got around to posting a bio.

You all know me - I don't want to get involved and then start throwing my weight around but if we want to get this started we need to look at why things aren't getting off the ground. My thought on this is that we're trying to make things too complicated. I'm wondering if perhaps we can adopt a route of having all participants automatically elected and dispense with the needs of determining how elections might work. I know it sounds terribly undemocratic, but I think that we just don't have enough members to risk having someone not elected and therefore out of the game for a while and trying to determine the rules for the elections themselves may just be over-complicating the game.

I guess it would be kind of like the budget in Atlasia - in real life, of course the government needs to introduce a budget but we dispense with it because it doesn't affect the game and has no practical application. Likewise, if we do this, it's not that there aren't elections in Antillia, just that we don't let them interfere with how the game's played.

Instead, we could focus on parliamentary procedure - the standing and sessional orders, etc - and the game would be more about shifting coalitions. I have a couple of other ideas of how we could incorporate all of this, but I want to hear your opinions first... and as I'm sure you realise, I don't want to take over this board - I'm not the GM, it wasn't my initial idea and I haven't spent the hours thinking about the way the country works, so if you don't like this suggestion, I won't be offended or try to force it. Mind you, if you've got any questions about my thoughts, I'm happy to discuss them further.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:43:11 PM »

I believe the plan was to have the GM determine election results, with all members getting a seat but then having NPC backbenchers to determine party strength based on interaction with the issues Smiley
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 12:01:55 AM »

I believe the plan was to have the GM determine election results, with all members getting a seat but then having NPC backbenchers to determine party strength based on interaction with the issues Smiley

Cool - that's pretty much what I was thinking would work best.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies