Pork in the 'Stimulus' Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:18:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pork in the 'Stimulus' Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pork in the 'Stimulus' Bill  (Read 5403 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:57:39 PM »

Here's a great list, courtesy of Tom Coburn's office:

* $2 billion earmark to re-start FutureGen, a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Dept. of Energy defunded last year because the project was inefficient
    * A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film
    * $650 million for the digital television (DTV) converter box coupon program
    * $88 million for the Coast Guard to design a new polar icebreaker (arctic ship)
    * $448 million for constructing the Dept. of Homeland Security headquarters
    * $248 million for furniture at the new Dept. of Homeland Security headquarters
    * $600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees
    * $400 million for the CDC to screen and prevent STD's
    * $1.4 billion for a rural waste disposal programs
    * $125 million for the Washington, D.C. sewer system
    * $150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities
    * $1 billion for the 2010 Census, which has a projected cost overrun of $3 billion
    * $75 million for "smoking cessation activities"
    * $200 million for public computer centers at community colleges
    * $75 million for salaries of employees at the FBI
    * $25 million for tribal alcohol and substance abuse reduction
    * $500 million for flood reduction projects on the Mississippi River
    * $10 million to inspect canals in urban areas
    * $6 billion to turn federal buildings into "green" buildings
    * $500 million for state and local fire stations
    * $650 million for wildland fire management on Forest Service lands
    * $150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities
    * $1.2 billion for "youth activities," including youth summer job programs
    * $88 million for renovating the headquarters of the Public Health Service
    * $412 million for CDC buildings and property
    * $500 million for building and repairing NIH facilities in Bethesda, MD
    * $160 million for "paid volunteers" at the Corporation for National and Community Service
    * $5.5 million for "energy efficiency initiatives" at the VA "National Cemetery Administration"
    * $850 million for Amtrak
    * $100 million for reducing the hazard of lead-based paint
    * $75M to construct a new "security training" facility for State Dept Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies.
    * $110 million to the Farm Service Agency to upgrade computer systems
    * $200 million in funding for the lease of alternative energy vehicles for use on military installations.
    * IDEA, Part B State Grants: Formula grants to assist the States in meeting the excess costs of providing special education and related services to children with disabilities.
    * IDEA Infants and Families: Formula grants to the States to assist them in making early intervention services available to children with disabilities aged birth through 2 and their families.
    * State Medicaid Bailout: $87.7 billion Through 3 different mechanisms, the bill would provide additional federal funds to state Medicaid programs over the next 3 years. This is nearly $70 billion more than the governors asked President Obama for in December, and should be a loan to be repaid by the states.

He also provided list of bad policy that has nothing to do with stimulus but was tacked on to the bill:
# Eliminates fees on loans from the Small Business Administration, thus pushing private capital toward unproductive businesses and away from productive businesses.
# Increases the definition of "youth" for certain summer job programs from age 21 to age 24.
# $160 million to the Job Corps program at the Dept. of Labor, but not for job programs - rather, to construct, alter or repair buildings.
# Requires a government study on the impact of minimum wage laws on the Northern Mariana Islands and American Samoa.
# $79 billion State Fiscal Stabilization (slush) Fund to bailout the States by providing billions of dollars for "education" costs of any kind.
# $47.843 billion is appropriated for a variety of energy programs that are primarily focused on renewable energy development and energy conservation/efficiency. Not one dollar is appropriated to make fossil fuels more affordable in the near future. More than $6 billion of these funds go to environmental clean ups.
# Increases eligibility for "weatherization" assistance to households 200 percent above the poverty level.
# The "Making Work Pay" credit of $500 to every individual making less than $75,000 (or $1000 to couples making $150,000 or less) would pay people whether they are productive or not - akin to welfare.
# The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP - food stamps) would temporarily suspend the 3-month limit for non-working adults to receive SNAP benefits, thus giving incentives not to find a job.
# Installs government as the creator of broadband deployment regardless of whether the specific local/regional market can sustain it.
# Funds new "green jobs" job-training program without eliminating inefficient job-training programs or consolidating duplicative job-training programs.
# $890 million to the Social Security Administration without any provisions to reduce improper payments, or any plan to increase solvency of the trust fund.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:04:53 PM »

Half of this is not pork. It's only logical there is going to be some pork involved in the bill, but such doesn't amount to a great deal of the Stimulus bill as a whole.

I shouldn't trust anyone with an econ score over +8 to give me an accurate depiction of "pork" and "bad policy" anyway.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:06:37 PM »

Half of this is not pork. It's only logical there is going to be some pork involved in the bill, but such doesn't amount to a great deal of the Stimulus bill as a whole.

I shouldn't trust anyone with an econ score over +8 to give me an accurate depiction of "pork" and "bad policy" anyway.

I was just looking over the list item by item and saying,  "Good.  Like it.  Nice.  Great!  Okay. "

I guess for some people it's pork when it goes to someone ELSE's state or district.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 06:07:25 PM »

Sounds like a lot of approriations that will create jobs, not "pork".
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 06:07:48 PM »

Not really much pork there.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:11:39 PM »

$75 million for salaries of employees at the FBI?   You have go to be kidding me?

This bill is loaded with pork that will do nothing to help people.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 06:12:42 PM »

$75 million for salaries of employees at the FBI?   You have go to be kidding me?

Do you know the percentage 75 million makes up in about 850 billion? Hint: Not alot.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 06:14:44 PM »

Do you know the percentage 75 million makes up in about 850 billion? Hint: Not alot.

And that's how we get to this point.

I'm just saying cranking up the pork alarm over a few million going to something totally worthless isn't worth the effort. There's alot here that isn't useful but alot of what Republicans claim is pork isn't actually "pork."
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »

Agreed.  This bill is kosher.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 06:16:24 PM »

I am personally appalled by those flood reduction projects. Seriously, what will they think of next, flood reductions in New Orleans?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 06:19:52 PM »

75M to construct a new "security training" facility for State Dept Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies. I like very much  as i would benefit

Summer job programs for youth ... I like this one as well

The rest of it  is porky pig.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 06:20:58 PM »

75M to construct a new "security training" facility for State Dept Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies. I like very much  as i would benefit

Summer job programs for youth ... I like this one as well

The rest of it  is porky pig.

I see. So that means it's only pork if you don't directly benefit from it?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 06:23:37 PM »

* $448 million for constructing the Dept. of Homeland Security headquarters

And what do you have against creating jobs in historically-depressed Anacostia?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »

Some of that stuff is awsome, but it's disappointing how the Democrats are cannabalizing themselves here.  They'd be best off investing in actual long-term economic growth areas (infrastructure, education, etc.) instead of passing a bill which will accomplish less than it should and make them look bad in the process.

They do want their bill to result in measured progress, right?  So they win in 2010, right?  Sigh

I don't consider see how Amtrak and Community Colleges are "pork"
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 06:51:54 PM »

I don't consider see how Amtrak and Community Colleges are "pork"

Pork = "stuff wot I don't like".
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 07:01:25 PM »

Not that this is the only problem I have with this list, but how is the following bad policy at all?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 07:04:29 PM »

Cut the excessive pork from the bill ( The aids resreach and non smoking thing has been cut) because most of it is PORK spending on projects or what I call "pay offs" to their rich democratic pals. 74 million just to pad the salaries of those at the FBI?    Its not like they are cutting FBI agents, yet you want to give them more money?     Yes, it does throw some money at infrastructure, but its not enough compared to the money thrown at pork projects.

1. that Joe Biden amtrack hasn't turned a profit in 40 + years.   1 billion for this?

2. Global-warming research  gets 400 million?  classic pork spending at its best.

3.  $600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees  LOL

And a few million is supposed fix our infrastructure when you are throwing more at silly projects?    Lets be serious here.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 07:05:39 PM »

Furniture for Homeland Security?  Sewage stuff?  How is that NOT pork?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 07:39:12 PM »

There are a few useless things on that list, but acting like "OMG LOOK AT THIS LIST IT'S ALL PORK" is just nothing short of complete idiocy.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 07:41:47 PM »

There are a few useless things on that list, but acting like "OMG LOOK AT THIS LIST IT'S ALL PORK" is just nothing short of complete idiocy.

What's complete idiocy are the Democrats sacrificing economic growth in exchange for putting up these useless things in front of the media
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 07:43:06 PM »

This is the pork/stuff that I would vote to remove.

* $2 billion earmark to re-start FutureGen, a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Dept. of Energy defunded last year because the project was inefficient
    * A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film
    * $75 million for salaries of employees at the FBI
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 07:49:41 PM »

These are the only ones I wouldn't eliminate.

Quote from: Restricted

We're in troubled times here, the goal isn't just to spend money but to try and invest in long-term beneficial projects.  The goal is to spend one dollar now to boost the economy in the short-term, but then have that dollar contribute to the reduction of the deficit in the long-term by making us more productive.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 08:23:23 PM »

It's more than a few - I just didn't list them all.  I'd agree that a lot of this stuff on the list is pork.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 08:33:52 PM »

The thing is that this bill contains some stimmulus, some good policy and spending not much related to economic stimmulus and some obvious pork.  The Democrats shot themselves in the foot by throwing everything they wanted into the bill and making it as much as spending bill as a stimmulus bill.

I must say I am disappointed in the way President Obama has handled his first, and most crucial, piece of legislation so far.  Apparently, bipartisanship for the President to this point means getting beat by both sides.  He lets the House Democrats make half of a hash out of a stimmulus bill that he is practically betting his presidency on, and he didn't even line up any validators to aggressively pitch the bill's strengths.  Then, he tries to court House Republicans over a mess of a bill and despite a lot of nice-playing, he doesn't win a vote.  Now, as the bill goes to the Senate, it looks like the minority party has emerged victorious in the spin-war about the bill and is running the table about its adjustments.  The President strode into office on a mandate for change and in his first outing, he is getting taken for a walk.  Not impressive.

Presidents need to be leaders.  It's great if they can create bipartisanship and set a better political tone.  But sometimes, when you're President, you got to knock some heads together in your own party and sometimes you have to make decisions that will just piss the opposition off.  President Obama had best sharpen his teeth, straighten out this bill, make his case and face whatever music gets played, because that's what he was elected to do.  
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 09:04:12 PM »

Helps the auto industry and saves on fuel costs, making government spending more efficient in the long run. What is wrong with this?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies