Will a Vietnam Vet Ever Become President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:21:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will a Vietnam Vet Ever Become President
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Will a Vietnam Vet Ever Become President  (Read 4983 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 09:45:46 PM »

Military service in WWII is a boost whereas military service in Vietnam is a detriment.

Example?

WWII vets: 3-0
Vietnam vets: 0-4

An oversimplification, though it makes sense given the perpetuation of the stereotype of Vietnam veterans as crazy by movies such as Full Metal Jacket.

Bob Dole and George McGovern were both major WWII heroes.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 10:19:58 PM »

Military service in WWII is a boost whereas military service in Vietnam is a detriment.

Example?

WWII vets: 3-0
Vietnam vets: 0-4

An oversimplification, though it makes sense given the perpetuation of the stereotype of Vietnam veterans as crazy by movies such as Full Metal Jacket.

That's not proof that WWII service was a benefit, or that Vietnam service is a detriment.  And I'm not sure how you came to those numbers...

WWII service:
Dwight Eisenhower
John F. Kennedy
Richard Nixon
Lyndon Johnson
Barry Goldwater
George McGovern
Gerald Ford
Ronald Reagan
George H.W. Bush
Bob Dole

Vietnam service:
Al Gore
George W. Bush
John Kerry
John McCain

Sadly, I don't think so. But who knows maybe one of the youngest draftees will make in in 2016.

The vietnam vets are the most forgotten vets. It is a shame, but it is true.

I never got that impression.  What about Korean War vets?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 12:39:56 AM »

Bush wasn't in Vietnam. He was in the National Guard.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 12:53:37 AM »

What counts as "being a veteran"?  A few of the guys on that list were in the National Guard/Reserves.  I wasn't sure whether or not PiT was counting them.  His numbers didn't seem to comport one way or the other.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 09:12:16 AM »

actually, the only reason he is even talked about is because of Iraq.
Is he actually talked about? How seriously? I've certainly never heard anyone suggest that. Seems quite a stretch.

You're right that he got himself some positive national name rec out of Iraq (not the actual invasion though, but rather the military administration of a conquered country. But that's sort of beyond the point I suppose.) and there probably isn't any other Iraq general of whom even that could be said.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 10:02:04 AM »
« Edited: January 31, 2009, 10:04:48 AM by Der Schlumpf mit dem Herpes is back »

What counts as "being a veteran"?  A few of the guys on that list were in the National Guard/Reserves.  I wasn't sure whether or not PiT was counting them.  His numbers didn't seem to comport one way or the other.

I think to count as a "Vietnam veteran" you had to set foot on Vietnamese soil (or had to be in Vietnamese airspace/waters) during the period the war occured.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 01:14:09 PM »

I think to count as a "Vietnam veteran" you had to set foot on Vietnamese soil (or had to be in Vietnamese airspace/waters) during the period the war occured.

What if you weren't in combat?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 01:31:31 PM »

Still counts. Heck, people are counting Nixon as a WWII Vet.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 04:18:28 PM »

Still counts. Heck, people are counting Nixon as a WWII Vet.

So all you have to do is set foot in that country, or be in that country's waters, during wartime to be a veteran?  I feel to see the logic in that.  Do you consider Al Gore a Vietnam veteran?  Was Joe Louis a WWII veteran?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 06:23:40 PM »

^^^

Of course you could try to narrow down the definition even further by saying that only people who participated in combat operations should be considered veterans... although this could make the line also a bit blurry in some cases.

However, George W. Bush never went to Vietnam nor did he participate in any combat operations. So it should be clear in which category he doesn't fall.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 07:18:47 PM »

^^^

Of course you could try to narrow down the definition even further by saying that only people who participated in combat operations should be considered veterans... although this could make the line also a bit blurry in some cases.

However, George W. Bush never went to Vietnam nor did he participate in any combat operations. So it should be clear in which category he doesn't fall.

Ok, but NiK didn't point out any of the other presidents I listed. I was trying to find out where PiT drew the line as to who he "counted" as being a veteran.  But it appears that this discussion has exhausted itself.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 08:25:43 PM »

^^^

Ok, but NiK didn't point out any of the other presidents I listed. I was trying to find out where PiT drew the line as to who he "counted" as being a veteran.  But it appears that this discussion has exhausted itself.

Thing is I forgot about a bunch of people. Tongue I also for some reason was thinking that Bob Dole was in Vietnam, not WWII.

Anyway, I tried to see if there was a poll or something somewhere that would give a concrete answer. I couldn't find any, though I would strongly suspect that the difference in public opinion concerning WWII & Vietnam would make a difference between being a veteran of the former & one of the latter.

Then again, I doubt that being a veteran of any war would have nearly the effect that it once did.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »

Anyway, I tried to see if there was a poll or something somewhere that would give a concrete answer. I couldn't find any, though I would strongly suspect that the difference in public opinion concerning WWII & Vietnam would make a difference between being a veteran of the former & one of the latter.

Fair enough.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I can agree with that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies