Gregg pulls out of nomination - NOT ENOUGH TAX CUTS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 09:05:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gregg pulls out of nomination - NOT ENOUGH TAX CUTS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Gregg pulls out of nomination - NOT ENOUGH TAX CUTS  (Read 14942 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2009, 03:20:13 PM »

The Politico says Snowe was asked first, but declined, citing a source close to Snowe.
LOL, Obama's the best.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2009, 04:38:32 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2009, 04:40:06 PM by unempprof »

There have been reports about Obama courting Snowe and Collins since the day after he was elected, but they both claimed they were not interested.  I guess Gregg was next in line.

BTW according to reports it's almost a certainty that Lynch will appoint a Democrat in his place.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2009, 04:55:25 PM »

There have been reports about Obama courting Snowe and Collins since the day after he was elected, but they both claimed they were not interested.  I guess Gregg was next in line.

BTW according to reports it's almost a certainty that Lynch will appoint a Democrat in his place.

I don't believe the reports that it's certain.  Lynch is no partisan
perdedor

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2009, 05:42:17 PM »

Democrats, I wouldn't be too excited about the possibility of Lynch getting to appoint a successor to Gregg. Lynch isn't the most progressive of the Democrats...
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2009, 11:13:54 PM »

Democrats, I wouldn't be too excited about the possibility of Lynch getting to appoint a successor to Gregg. Lynch isn't the most progressive of the Democrats...

Even if Lynch appoints a Rethuglican, he or she still won't be as strong as Gregg and thus much easier to knock out in 2010. Honestly, there really is no way to defeat Gregg sans Lynch but any other thug would be beatable.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2009, 11:24:58 PM »

lol

Gregg probably will take it since it is basically a patronage salary for at least the next four years.  Obama looks post-partisan and garbage like that.  Dems pick up a seat unless Lynch tries to be a real-world Moderate Hero.  works out great for everyone involved.
Nicodeme Depape
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.48

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2009, 11:26:10 PM »

By god, I'm now an all out Gregg for Sec of Commerce supporter now.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2009, 11:36:02 PM »

if Lynch appoints a Republican, the DNC should cut him off for eternity.  make sure he goes no further than Manchester.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2009, 11:37:07 PM »

if Lynch appoints a Republican, the DNC should cut him off for eternity.  make sure he goes no further than Manchester.

turns out that isn't the capitol of NH.  so much for being smart
Nicodeme Depape
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.48

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2009, 11:38:17 PM »

Or no farther than his bedroom door.

... Just a thought.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2009, 11:41:25 PM »

In case you missed it, here it is again, Ben:
Gregg would be awesome.  He's one of my favorite Republicans, and I'd support him if he ran for reelection in 2010.
What are you talking about?  Do you know any of his positions besides his support of Obama?  Not to mention he was a co-chair for Romney's campaign.

Thanks, Fezzy; I've been out of the loop today.

I don't agree with Gregg on most issues (especially supporting Romney), but I've always found him to be a good, honorable man (something Romney is not).  I would have supported Gregg if he ran in 2010, unless Lynch had run against him.  I think that he is a man who is willing to work with the other side, and we need men like that in Washington.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2009, 11:42:32 PM »

It'd be a faux-Republican that would vote with the Dems anyway.

He should appoint a liberal Independent IMO
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2009, 11:43:10 PM »

Given how vile, unworkable and just plain wrong the other side's beliefs tend to be I think instead of trying to reach out to them we should be pushing them out of any relevance in washington and shaming/intimidating their voting base into withdrawing from politics. We managed to chase evangelicals out of politics 1930-1970 so it's possible to try again.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2009, 11:45:06 PM »

why?  what's the point in placating an opposition that is deceased?  Lynch has the mansion as long as he wants it.  if he wants the Senate seat in 2010 just appoint some Ted Kaufman-type bro.  make it a black lesbian for good measure.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2009, 11:45:35 PM »

What about a black muslim lesbian?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2009, 11:46:25 PM »

I was leaning towards born-again fundamentalist Mormon
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2009, 11:47:16 PM »

why?  what's the point in placating an opposition that is deceased?  Lynch has the mansion as long as he wants it.  if he wants the Senate seat in 2010 just appoint some Ted Kaufman-type bro.  make it a black lesbian for good measure.

Because that might be a necessary part of getting Gregg to concede.  Lynch would probably appoint an elderly placeholder if he's going to go with a Republican or Independent.

Obviously it's *really* useful for the Democrats to reach the fake "60" number before 2010 so that vulnerable Republican seats (open or not) can't claim that they are the difference between a blank check and not

Getting the NH seat in 2010 > having to actually fight for it and be at a disadvantage at that
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2009, 11:47:51 PM »

That'd kind of alienate the liberal base so we're going to have to rule that out. Islam however is chic and trendy, even if most Muslims have worse beliefs than a good chunk of conservative christians.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2009, 11:50:33 PM »

Because that might be a necessary part of getting Gregg to concede.  Lynch would probably appoint an elderly placeholder if he's going to go with a Republican or Independent.

Obviously it's *really* useful for the Democrats to reach the fake "60" number before 2010 so that vulnerable Republican seats (open or not) can't claim that they are the difference between a blank check and not

Getting the NH seat in 2010 > having to actually fight for it and be at a disadvantage at that

if Gregg stipulates that it's a different story.  is there an indication that he is/would/will?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2009, 11:52:32 PM »

I doubt he'd take the job unless Lynch agrees to appoint someone that's not a Democrat.  I don't think Gregg would want to become passionately hated by his own party.  I don't know if Lynch would play ball though.

And Lynch has lots of friends among fairly prestigious has-been liberal Republicans in New Hampshire politics
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2009, 11:56:19 PM »

what's to say Gregg cares about that?  he isn't any sort of prospect for higher office and collecting a salary without having to fight for anything through early 2013 has to be appealing for anybody.  the Dems are odds-on favorites to have a supermajority come next midterms anyway with or without Gregg.  a veteran Senator like him can't enjoy being relegated to a small minority caucus, especially since he could well lose...
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2009, 12:09:44 AM »

what's to say Gregg cares about that?  he isn't any sort of prospect for higher office and collecting a salary without having to fight for anything through early 2013 has to be appealing for anybody.  the Dems are odds-on favorites to have a supermajority come next midterms anyway with or without Gregg.  a veteran Senator like him can't enjoy being relegated to a small minority caucus, especially since he could well lose...

I will have to agree.  I don't think Gregg really cares about the filibuster-proof majority thing.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2009, 02:48:47 AM »

Not to mention if Gregg becomes hesitant about accepting the nod because of who his replacement might be Lynch could just threaten to run for Senate against Gregg in 2010, leaving Gregg with the option of taking the slot & being replaced by a Democrat or getting his ass handed to him on a platter in 2010 by Lynch.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2009, 02:51:55 AM »

Lynch doesn't seem to be that kind of partisan hardball player and Gregg could almost certainly get what he wants if he requests it as part of the deal, so why wouldn't he
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2009, 03:08:05 AM »

Lynch doesn't seem to be that kind of partisan hardball player and Gregg could almost certainly get what he wants if he requests it as part of the deal, so why wouldn't he

I don't think Lynch is that type of partisan hardball player either, but the call is his not Gregg's.   I don't see what bargaining power Gregg has in this case, if he had a safe seat that might be the case, but not when he is as vulnerable as he is.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies