The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:44:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread  (Read 1213187 times)
Disarray
Rookie
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:19:17 AM »

Who would be the Republican candidate under this scenario? It's going to take someone of some caliber to win California, though I do agree it's not impossible. Republicans refuse to do that though. It goes against their values or something. I don't understand them.

Not impossible? What planet do you live on? The Republican platform in 2012 will be running on the most poisonous economic platform ever campaigned on by either party in the history of our country.

Reforming (gutting) entitlement programs
and
Tax cuts for the wealthy/corporations

Which in it by themselves are unpopular, together they're toxic.

Obama maybe end up being the weakest incumbent since Carter, but the GOP will be running Goldwater.

What happens when you do 1980 D vs 1964 R ? Certainly not a landslide in either direction.

Also keep in mind the electorate will be only 68 to 72% white in 2012, but I guess you figure Hispanics (who are overwhelmingly economic liberals ) will vote for tea party economics if you just put Rubio on the ticket.
Disarray
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:53:33 AM »

Calm down buddy. I think I made it quite clear what I thought about the Republican's chances in California, considering who they are about to nominate. JJ thinks Romney or Perry could almost win in California, or New York, but as usual he is wrong. But you put in a candidate who talks clearly and says we need to raise taxes but at the same reform entitlements, and add in a worsening economy and you have that sort of a victory. And yes I do think the economy needs to do much worse than just create 0 jobs for this scenario to occur.

And don't for a moment think a victory like this would be some great endorsement of the GOP. They could just as easily get thrown out in the next election. That's just how things are these days with the electorate.

Every single Republican candidate including the so called moderate Huntsman ruled out even a 10 to 1 ratio of spending cuts to tax increases.

The Paul Ryan plan which 95%+ of the GOP Congress voted for cuts taxes for the wealthy substantially.

I'm not saying the eventual GOP candidate isn't going to move somewhat to the right from the far right after the primaries, but to suggest that the GOP candidate may campaign on tax increases on the wealthy is just crazy.

There is a 0.0% chance of that happening, how do you not know that by now?

Now they may propose tax increases on the poor like Paul Ryan's plan does, but that would be a just another negative on their election odds.
Disarray
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:13:24 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2012, 06:15:16 PM by Disarray »

Gallup's site is undergoing maintenance, so I can't post now.

Saw it earlier

Gallup Daily:  http://www.gallup.com/poll/124922/Presidential-Job-Approval-Center.aspx

Approve:  47%, +2.

Disapprove:  46%, -1.

You can also see Gallup's numbers on RCP
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval-1044.html
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies