The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:15:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread  (Read 1214249 times)
milhouse24
« on: June 14, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »

Well Obama and his family seem content with him being a one term president as reported by Ann Curry; and perhaps a majority of Americans as well.  I think he tried to do some big historical things like Health Care but was basically in over his head in handling the economy.  He was obviously the best choice over McCain, but I think the GOP will nominate someone like Romney who has the leadership and vision for improving the economy and employment.  Some of the reasons for failure are cyclical, but I don't think Obama's ever claimed to be an expert or leader on economic matters, his calling card was international affairs and the opposition to the Iraq War which McCain favored.  Obama's never claimed to understand blue collar life or small town America, maybe he can change his image over the next 12 months, but I don't think so. 
milhouse24
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 02:49:20 PM »

It seems interesting that Obama is resigned to the fact that he might lose in 2012, I suppose that hope and optimism is gone, replaced by realism.  That can be expected from someone who never governed a large entity or served in any executive capacity.  He tried to be Reagan without the management experience.  I wonder if the "enthusiasm gap" has trickled down to his supporters, it certainly seems the enthusiasm gap is missing from his closest family members, his wife and children - if they don't want him to be president, how can the rest of the country want him to be president.  I really think unless the GOP nominates a geriatric, they will win in a Landslide, similar to the reverse of 2008.  The issues have changed from foreign policy to domestic policy. 

As for Obama's upbringing or perspective, he has to win the votes of the suburban white blue collar man and woman.  These are factory workers, truckers, middle class voters who don't want big govt, don't want high taxes, and want a president who feels their pain, sort of like Bill Clinton and ranch cowboy Dubya Bush.  That's the dichotomy between urban life and suburban life, and sometimes its along racial lines, but Obama needs to over come that to win re-election.
milhouse24
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:27:11 AM »

It seems interesting that Obama is resigned to the fact that he might lose in 2012, I suppose that hope and optimism is gone, replaced by realism. 

While the optimism might have replaced by realism, and lower poll numbers, I have not seen Obama being resigned to losing in 2012.  I think it is still wide open.

I think Obama has mentally checked out, he said his wife and children are happy with only 1 term.  Unless he starts smoking again maybe he'll exhibit more energy on the campaign trail. 
milhouse24
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:08:42 PM »

Truly the gay marriage announcement has doomed Obama's hopes of re-election. Witness his seven po--- uh, one point statistically insignificant gain on Romney in Gallup's tracker.

It's almost as if the announcement will have a negligible effect!

The homophobes were never going to vote for President Obama anyway. But that said, President Obama consolidated some support that he might never have otherwise gotten.

In a narrow election something inconvenient  but necessary can work. LGBT rights has become a positive issue in a bunch of states best described as moderate-to-liberal... Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, maybe Indiana and Florida...

GROW UP, AMERICA!

God really did make Adam and Steve and still loves them in knowledge of what they do with each other if He made them gay. 

This might not directly effect politics, but the HIV/AIDS issue used to be a big concern in the gay community, but it seems in the past decade or so, with modern medicine and examples such as Magic Johnson surviving and living long lives, the threat of HIV is no longer an issue, at least it is no longer discussed as a medical threat in mainstream news.  In addition sodomy laws are no longer criminalized.  Anyone can justify two men or two women living together and getting financial benefits.  But the act of two men having anal intercourse can be painful, not as natural as vaginal insemination, and medically dangerous to those people exposed to STD's and HIV.  I doubt the USA will have an HIV outbreak like Africa, but I think Americans fear infection and death.  Any media coverage of HIV outbreaks in the USA would decrease support for gay marriage. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies