The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:41:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 217 218 [219] 220 221 222 223 224 ... 410
Author Topic: The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread  (Read 1206212 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5450 on: July 25, 2010, 07:43:14 AM »

So if I'm looking correctly at the map posted above by JBrase, the president holds a 50% or above approval rating in only 11 states out of 49 polled, and not including D.C.  Regardless of what the future holds for November '12, supporters of Obama have to be troubled by this....

Just speaking as an independent (yes, I voted for McCain in the general, but Hillary was my first choice), I don't see how anyone can honestly think the president is doing a good job, or even a mediocre one.  It's getting down now where a huge remainder of his supporters are doing so based solely on party ID as the majority of voters have been against nearly everything he's tried to accomplish.

He's actually gotten a lot done, even if it is half assed (blame congress, not Obama). He is certainly not a good president because he doesn't lead well. But at the same time he hasn't made any big blunders. If things remain the way they are, he will end up somewhere in the middle of Presidents in terms of job performance.

Now if you think that he shouldn't have done health care reform or financial reform, then that's a different thing. If you wanted these things done, you can't deny that he did it.

Obama has indeed gotten a lot of his fascist agenda pushed through.

Whether you consider that a good thing or not depends on whether you approve of fascism or not.

I kinda approve of the health care bill. That means I kinda support fascism, right Libertas?

I think that he supports the idea that a healthy economic system succeeds by bleeding everyone else to support some "right people" whose enrichment and indulgence is understood to be the definitive good irrespective of the hardships imposed upon everyone else and whose mystical virtues (really, crude exercise of economic power) are not to be challenged. 
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5451 on: July 25, 2010, 08:06:15 AM »

So if I'm looking correctly at the map posted above by JBrase, the president holds a 50% or above approval rating in only 11 states out of 49 polled, and not including D.C.  Regardless of what the future holds for November '12, supporters of Obama have to be troubled by this....

Just speaking as an independent (yes, I voted for McCain in the general, but Hillary was my first choice), I don't see how anyone can honestly think the president is doing a good job, or even a mediocre one.  It's getting down now where a huge remainder of his supporters are doing so based solely on party ID as the majority of voters have been against nearly everything he's tried to accomplish.

He's actually gotten a lot done, even if it is half assed (blame congress, not Obama). He is certainly not a good president because he doesn't lead well. But at the same time he hasn't made any big blunders. If things remain the way they are, he will end up somewhere in the middle of Presidents in terms of job performance.

Now if you think that he shouldn't have done health care reform or financial reform, then that's a different thing. If you wanted these things done, you can't deny that he did it.

Whether you consider that a good thing or not depends on whether you approve of fascism or not.

I kinda approve of the health care bill. That means I kinda support fascism, right Libertas?

I think that he supports the idea that a healthy economic system succeeds by bleeding everyone else to support some "right people" whose enrichment and indulgence is understood to be the definitive good irrespective of the hardships imposed upon everyone else and whose mystical virtues (really, crude exercise of economic power) are not to be challenged. 

Is that you describe Obama's fascist "healthcare reform"?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5452 on: July 25, 2010, 08:18:14 AM »

President Obama's healthcare reform is anything but fascist. I refer instead to tycoons and executives who act as if everyone else is either livestock or vermin. Such an attitude is fascism in its crudest form.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #5453 on: July 25, 2010, 08:25:35 AM »

President Obama's healthcare reform is anything but fascist. I refer instead to tycoons and executives who act as if everyone else is either livestock or vermin. Such an attitude is fascism in its crudest form.

So empowering them even more helps? To fix that Obama will then have to have more government contr... regulations.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5454 on: July 25, 2010, 09:27:14 AM »

Rasmussen Obama (National)

Approve 43%, u.

Disapprove 56% u.

"Strongly Approve" is at 25%, -1.  "Strongly Disapprove" is at 45%, +1.

It is still within range, but there might be a drop in Obama's numbers.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5455 on: July 25, 2010, 03:04:40 PM »

So empowering them even more helps? To fix that Obama will then have to have more government contr... regulations.

He's talking about how no government intervention could lead to abusive business practices, which in affect would be like a corporate dictatorship. 
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #5456 on: July 25, 2010, 05:13:18 PM »

He's talking about how no government intervention could lead to abusive business practices, which in affect would be like a corporate dictatorship. 

I know what he is saying. Have you read the healthcare bill?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5457 on: July 25, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »

fas·cist   /ˈfæʃɪst/ 
–noun

1. a person who believes in or sympathizes with fascism.
2. ( often initial capital letter ) a member of a fascist movement or party.
3. a person who is dictatorial or has extreme right-wing views.
–adjective
4. Also, fa·scis·tic  /fəˈʃɪstɪk/  Show Spelled[fuh-shis-tik]  Show IPA. of or like fascism or fascists.

fas·cism   /ˈfæʃɪzəm/   
–noun

1. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.
2. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) the philosophy, principles, or methods of fascism.
3. ( initial capital letter ) a fascist movement, esp. the one established by Mussolini in Italy 1922–43
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5458 on: July 25, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »

It would appear that you understand neither the nature of fascism nor the nature of ObamaCare, which is fascism in action.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5459 on: July 25, 2010, 07:47:48 PM »

It would appear that you understand neither the nature of fascism nor the nature of ObamaCare, which is fascism in action.

Yeah, it was after the passage of MussoliniCare that most people realized what a horrible, fascistic government Italy had.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #5460 on: July 25, 2010, 08:46:45 PM »

fas·cist   /ˈfæʃɪst/ 
–noun

–adjective
4. Also, fa·scis·tic  /fəˈʃɪstɪk/  Show Spelled[fuh-shis-tik]  Show IPA. of or like fascism or fascists.

fas·cism   /ˈfæʃɪzəm/   
–noun

1. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.
2. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) the philosophy, principles, or methods of fascism.
3. ( initial capital letter ) a fascist movement, esp. the one established by Mussolini in Italy 1922–43

Controlling industry is anti-right wing...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5461 on: July 25, 2010, 09:05:50 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2010, 11:09:57 AM by pbrower2a »

fas·cist   /ˈfæʃɪst/  
–noun

–adjective
4. Also, fa·scis·tic  /fəˈʃɪstɪk/  Show Spelled[fuh-shis-tik]  Show IPA. of or like fascism or fascists.

fas·cism   /ˈfæʃɪzəm/  
–noun

Well, is President Obama a fascist?

The definitions of fascist are of course circular, largely depending upon whether someone supports fascism or uses techniques characteristic of fascism.  So let's look at it point by point:

1. Is Barack Obama a dictator, or a front for someone with dictatorial power ?

He seems no more dictatorial than any President beginning with at least FDR, and he does not delegate moral authority or Presidential powers to someone else.  So, no.

2. Does he exercise complete power, or is he part of a clique that exercises complete power?

Rove, Bush, and Cheney seemed to fit the definition better, but they took only the baby steps toward fascism that America reversed. If you can't call the Rove/Cheney/Bush clique fascist, you can't so call Obama.

3. Does he suppress all opposition?

Many Republicans believe that they can win "back" the House and Senate in November 2010. Joe Wilson got away with minor sanctions for shouting "You lie!" at a State of the Union address.  A fascist would have had someone who had the effrontery to shout that disappear into the night. The Republicans in the Senate still have the filibuster, which a fascist dictator would have stripped from them. Next!

4. Does the President quash all dissent?

If Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are still on the air, if Ann Coulter can still sell books, if Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly can get away with what they say, then the President is no fascist.

5. Has he regimented all industry?

That began with Dubya, and for all the bailouts the United States government has yet to force bailed-out businesses to fill their boards with political hacks, allow unions servile to the President to organize without resistance,and start putting portraits of Obama everywhere?

Businesses that have not been bailed out have been left completely alone.

6. Is the President an aggressive nationalist?

Much less than his predecessor!

7. Is he a racist?

I do not make this stuff up for Saturday Night Live. President Obama seems to avoid discussing race and ethnicity as if he is avoiding a minefield .
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5462 on: July 26, 2010, 08:39:54 AM »

Rasmussen Obama (National)

Approve 45%, +2.

Disapprove 55% -1.

"Strongly Approve" is at 25%, u.  "Strongly Disapprove" is at 44%, -1.

Arguably still in range.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5463 on: July 26, 2010, 08:47:26 AM »

Take it elsewhere, kiddies. This is a polling-only zone.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5464 on: July 26, 2010, 11:10:39 AM »

Take it elsewhere, kiddies. This is a polling-only zone.

I hope that I shut down the "Obama is a fascist" debate.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #5465 on: July 26, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »

Obamacare is more socialist than fascist. However, the mandate that forces you to buy the healthcare is indeed a fascist element.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5466 on: July 26, 2010, 12:59:23 PM »

so·cial·ist   /ˈsoʊʃəlɪst/   
–noun

1. an advocate or supporter of socialism.
2. a member of the U.S. Socialist party.

so·cial·ism   /ˈsoʊʃəˌlɪzəm/   
–noun

1. a theory or system of social organization that advocates the vesting of the ownership and control of the means of production and distribution, of capital, land, etc., in the community as a whole.
2. procedure or practice in accordance with this theory.
3. (in Marxist theory) the stage following capitalism in the transition of a society to communism, characterized by the imperfect implementation of collectivist principles.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5467 on: July 26, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »

Obamacare is more socialist than fascist. However, the mandate that forces you to buy the healthcare is indeed a fascist element.

Are you preparing to say that the requirement that people buy automotive liability insurance before driving a motor vehicle is "fascist"?

One issue is that people are being paid so poorly or are being worked (part time work only available) so that they cannot get medical insurance and that it is extremely expensive.
Another is that people in their fifties are being cast off because of the expense of medical insurance as a benefit.

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5468 on: July 26, 2010, 02:33:58 PM »

Are you preparing to say that the requirement that people buy automotive liability insurance before driving a motor vehicle is "fascist"?

No one is forced to buy a car.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5469 on: July 26, 2010, 03:02:31 PM »

MA (Ras): 56/43
link

30%-39%-Dark Dark Red
40%-44%- Dark Red
45-49%- Red
Under 50% approval but approval higher than disapproval- Yellow
50%-54%- Light Green
55%-59%- Green
60%+- Dark Green
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #5470 on: July 26, 2010, 04:38:47 PM »

MA (Ras): 56/43
link

30%-39%-Dark Dark Red
40%-44%- Dark Red
45-49%- Red
50%-54%- Light Green
55%-59%- Green
60%+- Dark Green

Keeping red for the Republican nominee, this map woudl be a very welcome result for 2012
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5471 on: July 27, 2010, 12:22:36 AM »

TN (Mason Dixon)Sad

34% Excellent/Good
65% Fair/Poor

http://www.wbir.com/pdf/pdfthree.pdf
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5472 on: July 27, 2010, 12:48:36 AM »

TN

30%-39%-Dark Dark Red
40%-44%- Dark Red
45-49%- Red
50%-54%- Light Green
55%-59%- Green
60%+- Dark Green
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5473 on: July 27, 2010, 06:58:14 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2010, 08:40:34 AM by pbrower2a »

Massachusetts State Survey of 500 Likely Voters
Conducted July 22, 2010
By Rasmussen Reports

1* How would you rate the job Barack Obama has been doing as President… do you strongly approve, somewhat approve, somewhat disapprove, or strongly disapprove of the job he’s been doing?

37% Strongly approve
19% Somewhat approve
10% Somewhat disapprove
35% Strongly disapprove
  0% Not sure

Tennessee (Mason/Dixon) -- wild swing from a recent Rasmussen poll. Worse than Alabama?

Alabama Survey of 500 Likely Voters
Conducted July 22, 2010
By Rasmussen Reports

1* How would you rate the job Barack Obama has been doing as President… do you strongly approve, somewhat approve, somewhat disapprove, or strongly disapprove of the job he’s been doing?

28% Strongly approve
    11% Somewhat approve
      6% Somewhat disapprove
    54% Strongly disapprove
      2% Not sure

Key:

<40% with Disapproval Higher: 40% Orange (50% if 60%-69% or higher disapproval, 90% if >70%)
40-43% with Disapproval Higher: 50% Yellow  
44% with Disapproval Higher: 40% Yellow  
45-49% with Disapproval Higher: 30% Yellow  
<50% with Approval Equal: 10% Yellow (really white)

<50%  Approval greater: 30% Green
50-55%: 40% Green
56-59%: 60% Green
60%+: 80% Green

Months (All polls are from 2010):

A -  January     G -  July
B -  February   H -  August
C -  March        I -  September
D -  April          J  -  October
E -  May           K -  November
F -   June         L -   December

C* -- March 2010, after the passage of Health Care Reform legislation in the House.

S - suspect poll (examples for such a qualification: strange crosstabs, likely inversion of the report (for inversions, only for polls above 55% or below 45%...  let's say Vermont 35% approval or Oklahoma 65% approval), or more than 10% undecided. Anyone who suggests that a poll is suspect must explain why it is suspect.

Partisan polls and polls for special interests (trade associations, labor unions, ethnic associations) are excluded.

Z- no recent poll

49 states have checked in since HCR legislation was passed in the House.  The exception is Montana among the states. DC has yet to be polled.

deep red                  Obama 10% margin or greater  154
medium red              Obama, 5-9.9% margin  49
pale red                   Obama, margin under 5% 133
white                        too close to call  6
pale blue                  Republican  under 5%  49
medium blue             Republican  5-9.9% margin  56
deep blue                 Republican over 10% 116

44% approval is roughly the break-even  point (50/50) for an incumbent's win.  I add 6% for approval between 40% and 46%, 5% at 46%, 4% between 47% and 50%, 3% for 51%, 2% for 52% or 53%, 1% for 54% and nothing above 55% or below 40% for an estimate of the vote.

This model applies only to incumbents, who have plenty of advantages unless they are demonstrable failures.

Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #5474 on: July 27, 2010, 07:00:25 AM »

TN

30%-39%-Dark Dark Red
40%-44%- Dark Red
45-49%- Red
50%-54%- Light Green
55%-59%- Green
60%+- Dark Green