The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:30:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 169 ... 410
Author Topic: The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread  (Read 1206280 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4075 on: March 07, 2010, 04:05:03 PM »

That defeats the whole purpose of the balance of power in the electoral college. It's immoral.

Republics only prosper with certain restrictions, so no one can rule over anyone.

Nothing prohibits electioneering across state lines.  That includes fundraising. Nothing prohibits travel across state lines for the purpose of organizing grass-roots politics (including canvassing and get-out-the-vote campaigns) in another state. Had I not had concern about a congressional race in my district, I might have gone from Michigan to a state in which the Presidential race was not so certain.  (Two guesses. It was not Wisconsin). 

It is perfectly legal to change one's state of residence so that one can vote in a different bailiwick. For few people is that easy, but if I had been one of President Obama's paid field organizer I might have done so. Should I be in 2012, then who knows? I might become a legal resident of Colorado, Indiana, or Ohio -- and vote in that state's election.

What is really nasty is trying to influence people who have control over the count of votes. When I consider what seemed possible in 2000 and 2004, I understand why President Obama did what he did in spreading his efforts to contest every state that might be close once consolidating the Blue Firewall. Such is a legitimate beat-the-cheat strategy. As it turns out, to win in 2008 the Republicans would have had to cheat in Colorado, Florida, Indiana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, and Virginia to win. In 2000 and 2004 they needed only one of those states. 

If one has paid staff from Illinois, then it is easy to get them from Illinois where they will make little difference to Indiana, Missouri and Ohio where they might make a difference in a close election.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4076 on: March 07, 2010, 04:17:01 PM »

Having people vote accross state lines is ridiculous and wrong, period. People should be voting in their home state. You are crazy for saying that is okay, but of course, you only will think it's okay when Democrats are doing it. Republicans can't.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4077 on: March 07, 2010, 04:33:22 PM »

Having people vote accross state lines is ridiculous and wrong, period. People should be voting in their home state. You are crazy for saying that is okay, but of course, you only will think it's okay when Democrats are doing it. Republicans can't.

Republicans didn't because they had no real opportunities for doing so. They had their own must-win races and no easy pick-offs from 2004. Obama won every state that either Gore won in 2000 or Kerry won in 2004 by at least 9%.   

I am talking about people changing their legal residence -- which implies getting a new driver's license, changing auto registration, and finding a legal residence. People do that all the time. A temporarily-transplanted New Yorker might have to abandon his right to vote in New York so that he can vote in North Carolina... but that applies whether one did so so that one becomes a store manager after being an assistant store manager, too.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #4078 on: March 07, 2010, 05:39:20 PM »

Republicans didn't because they had no real opportunities for doing so. They had their own must-win races and no easy pick-offs from 2004. Obama won every state that either Gore won in 2000 or Kerry won in 2004 by at least 9%.   

I am talking about people changing their legal residence -- which implies getting a new driver's license, changing auto registration, and finding a legal residence. People do that all the time. A temporarily-transplanted New Yorker might have to abandon his right to vote in New York so that he can vote in North Carolina... but that applies whether one did so so that one becomes a store manager after being an assistant store manager, too.

Way to not address what I was saying.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4079 on: March 08, 2010, 12:54:38 AM »

In case you intended to discuss the possibility of people voting multiple times in the same election (voter fraud) -- such is rare. That's just too inefficient. It's far  easier to register likely voters -- which I am proud to have done -- or to drive people to the polls. Other techniques that really can swing an election are done by political hacks and election administrators, one hopes rarely and with insignificant consequences.

Methods of vote fraud include improper handling of registration forms, creation of fictitious voters, intimidation of or interference with voters, tampering with voting devices or paraphernalia, dishonest dealings with absentee ballots, and deliberate misrepresentation of the vote count, and  misrepresentation of the counts of votes. 

Double-voting is possible with getting an absentee ballot in one state, registering in another, and voting in person in the second state. Political operatives who do so themselves can be in deep trouble if they do that. 

Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4080 on: March 08, 2010, 02:41:24 AM »

I have no problems with people campaigning in a state different to the one in which they reside, but to change one's legal place of residence solely for the purposes of voting is a disgusting subversion of democracy.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4081 on: March 08, 2010, 08:41:06 AM »

OK, I've finally put pbrower on ignore. Enough is enough.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4082 on: March 08, 2010, 09:26:34 AM »

Ohio (Rasmussen)Sad

47% Approve
52% Disapprove

This statewide telephone survey of 500 Likely Voters in Ohio was conducted by Rasmussen Reports March 4, 2010. The margin of sampling error for the survey is +/- 4.5 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections2/election_2010/election_2010_senate_elections/ohio/toplines/toplines_ohio_senate_march_4_2010
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4083 on: March 08, 2010, 09:55:04 AM »

Rasmussen Obama (National)

Approve 46% (-2)

Disapprove 54% (+2)

"Strongly Approve" is at 22, -2, and is tied for his lowest number.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4084 on: March 08, 2010, 10:15:57 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2010, 10:18:20 AM by pbrower2a »

Ohio update:

Key:

<40% with Disapproval Higher: 40% Orange (50% if 60% or higher disapproval)
40-44% with Disapproval Higher: 50% Yellow  
45-49% with Disapproval Higher: 30% Yellow
<50% with Approval Equal: 10% Yellow (really white)

<50%  Approval greater: 30% Green
50-55%: 40% Green
56-60%: 60% Green
>60%: 80% Green

Months:

A -  January     G -  July
B -  February   H -  August
C -  March        I -  September
D -  April          J  -  October
E -  May           K -  November
F -   June         L -   December

S - suspect poll (examples for such a qualification: strange crosstabs, likely inversion of the report (for inversions, only for polls above 55% or below 45%...  let's say Vermont 35% approval or Oklahoma 65% approval), and more than 10% undecided. Anyone who suggests that a poll is suspect must explain why it is suspect.

Z- no recent poll (maximum 180 days) before December 1, 2009 except Montana (November 2009), which rarely gets polled.

MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #4085 on: March 08, 2010, 03:43:36 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2010, 03:45:21 PM by MagneticFree »

Here's my prediction right now based on the polls and maps.

Gen REP - 290
Obama - 244

And it can change based on his performance from now until 2012 election cycle.

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4086 on: March 08, 2010, 08:49:10 PM »

That actually puts the Republican at 280 with the new Census projections. 
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #4087 on: March 09, 2010, 12:32:39 AM »

In case you intended to discuss the possibility of people voting multiple times in the same election (voter fraud) -- such is rare. That's just too inefficient. It's far  easier to register likely voters -- which I am proud to have done -- or to drive people to the polls. Other techniques that really can swing an election are done by political hacks and election administrators, one hopes rarely and with insignificant consequences.

Methods of vote fraud include improper handling of registration forms, creation of fictitious voters, intimidation of or interference with voters, tampering with voting devices or paraphernalia, dishonest dealings with absentee ballots, and deliberate misrepresentation of the vote count, and  misrepresentation of the counts of votes. 

Double-voting is possible with getting an absentee ballot in one state, registering in another, and voting in person in the second state. Political operatives who do so themselves can be in deep trouble if they do that. 

What I said is not a sombrero. Stop dancing around it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4088 on: March 09, 2010, 08:21:23 AM »

End of discussion.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4089 on: March 09, 2010, 09:46:32 AM »

Approve 44% (-2)

Disapprove 54%

"Strongly" is unchanged.

Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #4090 on: March 09, 2010, 03:18:18 PM »

End of discussion.

Try answering someone, when they question your methods.
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #4091 on: March 09, 2010, 08:06:12 PM »

No combined numbers from South Carolina, but we do have some numbers from Rasmussen.

Republican primary voters: 11% approve, 88% disapprove
Democrat primary voters: 80% approve, 19% disapprove

If you assume a 50/50 split, that gives 45.5% approve, 53.5% disapprove. And, I may be wrong, but I would assume that there will probably be more Republican primary voters than Democrats.

Though, it would be nice to see some combined results.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4092 on: March 10, 2010, 09:26:02 AM »

No combined numbers from South Carolina, but we do have some numbers from Rasmussen.

Republican primary voters: 11% approve, 88% disapprove
Democrat primary voters: 80% approve, 19% disapprove

If you assume a 50/50 split, that gives 45.5% approve, 53.5% disapprove. And, I may be wrong, but I would assume that there will probably be more Republican primary voters than Democrats.

Though, it would be nice to see some combined results.

Still, that's not far from a 50-50 split in a state that hasn't gone for the Democratic nominee for President since 1976. South Carolina has given consistent results in approval ratings - high 40's for the President -- since November. I can't use it,

How people vote in primaries depends heavily on, after partisan affiliation,  whether primaries are contested. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #4093 on: March 10, 2010, 10:00:34 AM »

Massachusetts (Rasmussen)Sad

54% Approve
46% Disapprove

(Sen. Scott Brown):

70% Approve
26% Disapprove

(National/Obama):

43% Approve
56% Disapprove

This state telephone survey of 500 Likely Voters in the state of Massachusettes was conducted by Rasmussen Reports on March 8, 2010. The margin of sampling error for the survey is +/- 4.5 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections2/election_2010/election_2010_governor_elections/massachusetts/election_2010_massachusetts_governor

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_state_surveys/massachusetts/toplines/toplines_massachusetts_scott_brown_march_8_2010
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4094 on: March 10, 2010, 10:39:34 AM »

Approve 43% (-1)

Disapprove 56% (+2)

"Strongly Approve" is at 22, unchanged.  "Strongly Disapprove" is at 43%, +1.

Right now, Obama's "Total Approve," and "Strongly Approved," are tied for their lowest numbers in his presidency.  His "Total Disapproved" number is tied for the highest.

Note that "Strongly Approved" number has remained the same for three days, which could represent a bad sample.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #4095 on: March 10, 2010, 10:54:29 AM »

Florida (PPP)Sad

46% Approve
50% Disapprove

PPP surveyed 849 Florida voters from March 5th to 8th. The survey’s margin of error is +/-3.4%. Other factors, such as refusal to be interviewed and weighting, may introduce additional error that is more difficult to quantify.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_FL_3101025.pdf
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #4096 on: March 10, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »

Washington (Rasmussen)Sad

50% Approve
49% Disapprove

This statewide telephone survey of 500 Likely Voters in Washington was conducted by Rasmussen Reports March 9, 2010. The margin of sampling error for the survey is +/- 4.5 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections2/election_2010/election_2010_senate_elections/washington/toplines/toplines_2010_washington_senate_march_9_2010
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4097 on: March 10, 2010, 12:28:28 PM »

These numbers are starting to look brutal, if they hold.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #4098 on: March 10, 2010, 12:34:17 PM »

These numbers are starting to look brutal, if they hold.

They mostly resemble Reagan`s numbers at this point, who was also at 45% in March of '82.

So nothing to worry about yet, especially considering the horrible crop of Presidential candidates the Republicans currently have.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #4099 on: March 10, 2010, 01:20:24 PM »

New Hampshire (Rasmussen)Sad

48% Approve
52% Disapprove

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections2/election_2010/election_2010_senate_elections/new_hampshire/toplines/toplines_new_hampshire_senate_march_8_2010
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 169 ... 410  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies