The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:04:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 ... 410
Author Topic: The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread  (Read 1206051 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3650 on: January 22, 2010, 03:17:41 PM »

North Carolina

30%-39%-Dark Dark Red
40%-44%- Dark Red
45-49%- Red
Under 50% approval but approval higher than disapproval- Yellow
50%-54%- Light Green
55%-59%- Green
60%+- Dark Green

Link on NC?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #3651 on: January 22, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »

It was mentioned on the last page:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_NC_122.pdf
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3652 on: January 22, 2010, 03:24:24 PM »

Pretty hilarious how poor his approvals are and yet he still crushes Republicans head-to-head. I suppose America just hates everyone right now. Understandable, really.
no. Huckabee beats (unfortunatly) him by 1 and Romney is trailing by 2.

According to the PPP poll which came out after I posted that. The Fox poll has Obama beating Romney, Palin and Gingrich by double digits. I wish they had polled Huckabee.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3653 on: January 22, 2010, 03:29:33 PM »

Fox News has always been awful at polling, so I doubt it's that far and away. He certainly is leading, though.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #3654 on: January 22, 2010, 04:14:25 PM »

When are we going to get polls from Wyoming, Vermont, Mississippi, and WV?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3655 on: January 22, 2010, 04:25:12 PM »

When are we going to get polls from Wyoming, Vermont, Mississippi, and WV?

I think that it's safe to assume that Vermont is the only one out of the four with positives for Obama.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3656 on: January 22, 2010, 06:00:34 PM »

North Carolina

30%-39%-Dark Dark Red
40%-44%- Dark Red
45-49%- Red
50%-54%- Light Green
55%-59%- Green
60%+- Dark Green

Link on NC?

Key:

<40% with Disapproval Higher: 70% Yellow (90% if 60% or higher disapproval)
40-44% with Disapproval Higher: 50% Yellow 
45-49% with Disapproval Higher: 30% Yellow
<50% with Approval Equal: 10% Yellow (really white)

<50%  Approval greater: 30% Green
50-55%: 40% Green
56-60%: 60% Green
>60%: 80% Green

Months:

A -  January     G -  July
B -  February   H -  August
C -  March        I -  September
D -  April          J  -  October
E -  May           K -  November
F -   June         L -   December

S - suspect poll (examples for such a qualification: strange crosstabs, likely inversion of the report (for inversions, only for polls above 55% or below 45%...  let's say Vermont 35% approval or Oklahoma 65% approval), and more than 10% undecided. Anyone who suggests that a poll is suspect must explain why it is suspect.

Z- no recent poll (maximum 180 days) before December 1, 2009 except Montana (November 2009), which rarely gets polled.

I still think that my map looks better  (not so much a political statement as one of esthetics). 
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #3657 on: January 22, 2010, 06:46:43 PM »

Republicans have solutions. You can disagree with but they exist: stop spend, low tax, waterboarding terrorists, moral values,... Brown has beaten coakley on issues and republicans will  do the same in november.

Since when?  I mean, the waterboarding's been done, but I don't think that's a bragging point.

cfr Brown. I am convinced that majority of the gop (and american people by the way, cfr rasmussen and pew polls) support waterboarding terrorists. And oppose the guantanamo closing. The Brown spokeman has said that it was an important issue in the election (in massach. !!)

waterboarding, don't close guantanamo,... = strong on national security and the war on terror. A great republican value.

If a majority of Germans supported persecution of the Jews (if not the Holocaust) in 1939, then would they have been right? When a majority of white people supported segregation and disenfranchisement of blacks with the terrorization of those who opposed those things long into the 1960s, would they have been right? If a majority of people in Salem, Massachusetts in 1692 thought it right to execute "witches", would they have been right?

Waterboarding is torture -- a crime. Jesse Ventura, a (I forget  -- Marine? Special Forces?) veteran said that if he were subjected to waterboarding he would confess to the Tate-LaBianca murders. Heck, I would probably confess to the murder of Bill Clinton (who is very much alive).

We should have closed Guantanamo when evidence leaked of prisoner abuse. It could now be used to house recent denizens of the jail in Port-au-Prince who were given parole by an earthquake that had no legal authority for doing so. The last people that anyone wants on the street in Port-au-Prince would be off the street so that people trying to do humane work would have something less to fear. 

Strong on national security? Sure. Fight the war on terror as resolutely as ever? Of course; al-Qaeda has shown no signs of willingness to moderate its hatred and violence against the United States. We keep our humanity or we ourselves become terrorists.

Silly Rightist -- torture is for despots.

Jesse Ventura, what a reference...

Invoke Hitler is the point Goodwin. No discussion is possible. I will just say that americans are not germans, people are educated and there are no proofs that a majority supported jews extermination or witches execution. People are less stupid than you think.

Last, "torture" is a necessity if it can save the life of innocents (you know children, women and so on. People in the real life...). I'm with Jack Bauer on this !
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3658 on: January 22, 2010, 07:14:57 PM »

Fox News has always been awful at polling, so I doubt it's that far and away. He certainly is leading, though.

Opinion Dynamics isn't too bad.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3659 on: January 22, 2010, 07:18:21 PM »

Opinion Dynamics isn't too bad.

I guess, but I don't think they are that good. I prefer Gallup.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3660 on: January 22, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »

Republicans have solutions. You can disagree with but they exist: stop spend, low tax, waterboarding terrorists, moral values,... Brown has beaten coakley on issues and republicans will  do the same in november.

Since when?  I mean, the waterboarding's been done, but I don't think that's a bragging point.

cfr Brown. I am convinced that majority of the gop (and american people by the way, cfr rasmussen and pew polls) support waterboarding terrorists. And oppose the guantanamo closing. The Brown spokeman has said that it was an important issue in the election (in massach. !!)

waterboarding, don't close guantanamo,... = strong on national security and the war on terror. A great republican value.

If a majority of Germans supported persecution of the Jews (if not the Holocaust) in 1939, then would they have been right? When a majority of white people supported segregation and disenfranchisement of blacks with the terrorization of those who opposed those things long into the 1960s, would they have been right? If a majority of people in Salem, Massachusetts in 1692 thought it right to execute "witches", would they have been right?

Waterboarding is torture -- a crime. Jesse Ventura, a (I forget  -- Marine? Special Forces?) veteran said that if he were subjected to waterboarding he would confess to the Tate-LaBianca murders. Heck, I would probably confess to the murder of Bill Clinton (who is very much alive).

We should have closed Guantanamo when evidence leaked of prisoner abuse. It could now be used to house recent denizens of the jail in Port-au-Prince who were given parole by an earthquake that had no legal authority for doing so. The last people that anyone wants on the street in Port-au-Prince would be off the street so that people trying to do humane work would have something less to fear. 

Strong on national security? Sure. Fight the war on terror as resolutely as ever? Of course; al-Qaeda has shown no signs of willingness to moderate its hatred and violence against the United States. We keep our humanity or we ourselves become terrorists.

Silly Rightist -- torture is for despots.

Jesse Ventura, what a reference...

Invoke Hitler is the point Goodwin. No discussion is possible. I will just say that americans are not germans, people are educated and there are no proofs that a majority supported jews extermination or witches execution. People are less stupid than you think.

Last, "torture" is a necessity if it can save the life of innocents (you know children, women and so on. People in the real life...). I'm with Jack Bauer on this !

You miss the point. I bring up a different fallacy -- the appeal ad populum... that popularity of a position is evidence of its rectitude or truth. At one point, most "civilized" people believed that the Earth is flat and that the sun and stars circle it every 24 hours. That of course is past, and anyone who offers either of those discredited views is now discredited. Don't get me talking about evolution versus creationism.

I didn't bring up Der Phooey; you did. I brought up bigotry -- dehumanizing, dangerous, brutal bigotry. People can fall for mass delusions even if those delusions result in horrible consequences. The idea that torture works is one of them. If you don't want to associate torture with Der Phooey, then let me remind you that some leaders seem to love it -- like Mao Zedong, Agosto Pinochet, and Saddam Hussein.

Do you remember seeing old movies in which some Nazi or Soviet villain says this immortal line:

"Ve haff vays to make you talk!"

It sounds just as menacing in a Russian or German accent. Torture is about to begin, or at the least there is an injection of pentathol.  One dreads either excruciating pain or involuntarily betraying one's buddies.

Torture gets people to talk, but it is unreliable in getting people to tell the truth. People will say whatever causes the torturer insists upon hearing. Someone who truly knows nothing might spew nonsense; a downed flyer might say that the next bomb run is against Stuttgart even if he has no reason to know where the next bomb run will be. Someone suspected of espionage can easily fabricate a name, and if that name is "Peter Schmidt" or "Maria Ivanov"... lots of people  named "Peter Schmidt" or "Maria Ivanov" are going to experience very unpleasant near-death experiences.  

What's wrong with Jesse Ventura? I thought it a good quip. Putting someone in fear of immediate death or even severe injury is good for getting people to do anything. This is a tough fellow, an elite soldier and in turn a pro wrestler, someone well aware of the effects of pain. I am a wimp by comparison; I might confess to a non-existent crime just to avoid a third-degree burn or a compound fracture.  

When we do torture we do evil. Torture is a crime. When someone does unspeakable evil, what one did before that matters little. A murderer, robber, or rapist is above all else the crimes that he does. Yes, I know -- you think that if torture prevents some terrorist act it has justification. Do you believe in preventive retribution -- doing horrible things to people so that they can be prevented from doing something not an immediate threat?

Maybe we have alternatives. We can trick someone intent on committing a crime into believing that the crime has occurred, monitor the response. That's a common FBI trick -- and it does no harm to an innocent person.  

Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3661 on: January 23, 2010, 01:00:08 PM »

Rasmussen 44/55

Gallup 47/47

Both record lows.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3662 on: January 23, 2010, 01:55:49 PM »

The SOTU speech should be interesting. We will get to see President Obama at what he does best .

Does he have more? Can he address the economic morass?

The stock market has had three bad days. Maybe the bankers have more ability to mess with politics than politics has ability to mess with them. 

Campaign reform may be a matter of political survival in view of Citizens United vs. Federal Election Commission
Poundingtherock
« Reply #3663 on: January 23, 2010, 02:13:23 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2010, 04:42:03 PM by Dave Leip »

Obama's speeches are inconsistent.  He's on sometimes, off sometimes.

Just see the polling for his race speech.  It was horrible.

Link
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #3664 on: January 23, 2010, 02:44:08 PM »

Rasmussen 44/55

Gallup 47/47

Both record lows.

Actually, he had 44/56 for Ras before.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #3665 on: January 25, 2010, 01:31:24 PM »

Obama in Nevada

Daily KOs/Reserch 2K

Favorable/unfavorable: 45/50

http://www.dailykos.com/statepoll/2010/1/20/NV/432
Poundingtherock
« Reply #3666 on: January 25, 2010, 01:34:12 PM »

Obama approval rating for Rasmussen in Arizona and Indiana

Indiana: 43/56

Arizona: 43/57
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3667 on: January 25, 2010, 04:23:01 PM »

Arizona and Indiana updated

30%-39%-Dark Dark Red
40%-44%- Dark Red
45-49%- Red
50%-54%- Light Green
55%-59%- Green
60%+- Dark Green
ConservativeIllini
Rookie

« Reply #3668 on: January 25, 2010, 04:40:14 PM »

Seems to be hitting a low right now, I'd like to see some more polling on WI and PA.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3669 on: January 25, 2010, 05:42:58 PM »

Indiana no change, Arizona added. Both are competitive, and the Republican nominee will be unable to win with either competitive. Arizona, so far as I know, has never voted for a Democratic nominee in a Republican victory of the Presidency, and Indiana  hasn't voted Democratic in a Republican win since the  nineteenth century.

Key:

<40% with Disapproval Higher: 70% Yellow (90% if 60% or higher disapproval)
40-44% with Disapproval Higher: 50% Yellow 
45-49% with Disapproval Higher: 30% Yellow
<50% with Approval Equal: 10% Yellow (really white)

<50%  Approval greater: 30% Green
50-55%: 40% Green
56-60%: 60% Green
>60%: 80% Green

Months:

A -  January     G -  July
B -  February   H -  August
C -  March        I -  September
D -  April          J  -  October
E -  May           K -  November
F -   June         L -   December

S - suspect poll (examples for such a qualification: strange crosstabs, likely inversion of the report (for inversions, only for polls above 55% or below 45%...  let's say Vermont 35% approval or Oklahoma 65% approval), and more than 10% undecided. Anyone who suggests that a poll is suspect must explain why it is suspect.

Z- no recent poll (maximum 180 days) before December 1, 2009 except Montana (November 2009), which rarely gets polled.

A strong GOP candidate would defeat President Obama in a landslide reminiscent of Reagan in 1980. Mediocre-to-poor, which is about all I see, loses.

Sources on Arizona and Indiana, please?
Poundingtherock
« Reply #3670 on: January 25, 2010, 06:07:40 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2010, 04:41:47 PM by Dave Leip »

Sources:

Link AZ Governor

Link IN Senate
GOP732
Rookie

« Reply #3671 on: January 26, 2010, 11:40:27 AM »

This map is bleeding, Obama needs to find a way to stop the hemorrhage.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #3672 on: January 26, 2010, 12:46:14 PM »

I suspect that map to grow darker red over time
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3673 on: January 26, 2010, 01:48:17 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2010, 04:41:11 PM by Dave Leip »

Delaware (Rasmussen)Sad

50% Approve
49% Disapprove

This statewide telephone survey of 500 Likely Voters in Delaware was conducted by Rasmussen Reports January 25, 2010. The margin of sampling error for the survey is +/- 4.5 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence.

Link

Florida (Quinnipiac University)Sad

45% Approve
49% Disapprove

From January 20 - 24, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,618 Florida voters with a margin of error of +/- 2.4 percentage points. The survey includes 673 Republicans with a margin of error of +/- 3.8 percentage points.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1297.xml?ReleaseID=1417
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3674 on: January 26, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »

Delaware new, Florida update, Nevada no change. A tie disappears.

This is not how an incumbent wants approvals going into an election... if 33 hours can be an agony on election night with a critical state in the balance, and 33 days going into the election can be a seeming eternity, then what is 33 months?

I think my map more esthetically attractive than that of Rowan Brandon, if similarly accurate and relevant. The situation that this shows isn't pretty for either Democrats (including Obama) or Republicans. If I see any pattern, it is that the state-to-state polarization is shrinking. 
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 ... 410  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies