Gun control works so well in the UK that kids are wearing "stab vests"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:58:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Gun control works so well in the UK that kids are wearing "stab vests"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gun control works so well in the UK that kids are wearing "stab vests"  (Read 3571 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 03:33:20 PM »

Yes, and if there wasnt guncontrol, they would have to wear bulletproof vests too.

Really? How many children wore bulletproof vests before the current gun control measures were introduced? How many wear them in the US or in Switzerland?

Alright then. They wouldn't wear bulletproof vests. They would die.

Letting the average man buy a gun is a bad idea.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 03:42:04 PM »

Yes, and if there wasnt guncontrol, they would have to wear bulletproof vests too.

Really? How many children wore bulletproof vests before the current gun control measures were introduced? How many wear them in the US or in Switzerland?

Of course, only our enlightened masters in the state are close enough to perfection for that.

This says more about your misanthropy than it does about the likelihood of gun violence.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 03:45:56 PM »

Of course, only our enlightened masters in the state are close enough to perfection for that.

This says more about your misanthropy than it does about the likelihood of gun violence.

*sigh*

How am I misanthropic? For caring about peoples lives that are lost to gun crime?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 03:46:52 PM »

I have no time for guns.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 03:49:15 PM »

Given how horrid the government is in thE US and the UK's government is even worse. Why would anyone trust the state much?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 03:49:48 PM »

*sigh*

How am I misanthropic? For caring about peoples lives that are lost to gun crime?

For thinking the "average man" isn't capable of owning a gun.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 03:51:34 PM »

When did I ever say I trusted the state Straha?
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 03:52:26 PM »

You trust them to decide who can own guns. Governments that don't have to fear theoretical resistance go hog wild.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 04:04:37 PM »

I think it's most important to note that gun control works very differently in countries that already have a lot of guns and countries that do not possess very large land borders that a cartel operates in.

I don't support England's gun control, but as a low-crime country, it's not a good case example for gun-rights activists. 
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 04:23:02 PM »

Declaring an interest: I am a teacher in an urban comprehensive British school.

I find it highly unlikely that a teacher would end up getting shot/knifed at school. Most violence by students against staff is not pre-meditated (and even then incredibly rare in most schools, though I do cede that there are a very few schools where it is not treated as the instant kick-out that it should be). I have known of one student bringing a knife to school, and apparently he needed it to enforce a drug contract after school - needless to say the school told him where to go. I have never known any student to carry weapons to school for their perceived own protection, or to wear stab vests.

We've definitely had a few hammers brought to school, or better yet, stolen from the woodwork workshops, though the intention there is to damage property as opposed to persons.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 04:26:58 PM »

Declaring an interest: I am a teacher in an urban comprehensive British school.

I find it highly unlikely that a teacher would end up getting shot/knifed at school. Most violence by students against staff is not pre-meditated (and even then incredibly rare in most schools, though I do cede that there are a very few schools where it is not treated as the instant kick-out that it should be). I have known of one student bringing a knife to school, and apparently he needed it to enforce a drug contract after school - needless to say the school told him where to go. I have never known any student to carry weapons to school for their perceived own protection, or to wear stab vests.

We've definitely had a few hammers brought to school, or better yet, stolen from the woodwork workshops, though the intention there is to damage property as opposed to persons.

This is true at my school also.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 04:35:47 PM »

Student or teacher?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon