Democrats dominate electoral college with 'Blue Wall' of states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:37:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Democrats dominate electoral college with 'Blue Wall' of states
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Democrats dominate electoral college with 'Blue Wall' of states  (Read 14616 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 10:52:41 AM »

Pbrower2a, I don't know who you are, but you write very well and provide very good analysis.

Thank you for the complement. You can google "pbrower2a" for other examples of my writing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 04:26:28 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yes, that's true. As soon as I'll understand how to post images in this forum I could have an interesting map to show...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 06:15:39 AM »

These map shows the results at the Electoral College if the 2008 election were a tie coutrywide. The colours indicate the candidate's advantage. ( less than 5%, between 5 and 20%, more than 20% ).
We can see that Obama would have won by 278 E.V. to McCain's 260.
McCain needs an +1,7% advantage to win Colorado and get only 269 votes, and a +2,29% one to win Iowa and the election.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 09:14:07 PM »

While I'm sure that this article will seem amusing if we had a GOP landslide in 2012 or 2016, I think the value of it is to point out rather disturbing trends about the electorate for Republican candidates.

If we are narrowing our base and narrowing our ability to outreach, our voter base and numbers of votes decrease.... imagine that!

A GOP landslide in 2012 or even 2016 depends upon catastrophic failure of Obama as President (heck, Dubya was able to get re-elected in 2004 despite sub-par performance as President) and the rise of some charismatic Republican nominee for President who can offer an even stronger hope for America than Obama did in 2008. Ronald Reagan was such a candidate in 1980, and note well that he came close to defeating Gerald Ford in his primary bid in 1976. Reagan peaked as a campaigner just as the Democrats fouled up.

Obama seems to have at the least the political skills of Ronald Reagan, so he is likely to be effective. Like Reagan, he may offend the partisan opponents so much that they think him vulnerable... but he knows how to cut deals with people not so partisan, people intent on getting a little something out of the government or out of a deal.

The partisan Left thought Reagan awful in 1984 but found Reagan's landslide victory of 1984 a complete surprise. I can imagine much the same happening this time. Obama is definitely not George H.W. Bush (shrewd administrator and diplomat, but a mediocre politician), Jimmy Carter (who barely won in 1976, and had little leeway for anything going wrong), and of course Herbert Hoover, which demonstrates how rare it is for a the populace to turn on a President whom they thought the portent of a new era of prosperity. Anyone who wants Obama to be the new Herbert Hoover wants a Pyrrhic victory.

Conservative Republicans have changed little in ideology from Ronald Reagan, but do any of them have Reagan's political skills? Do any of them have Reagan's charisma? Can any of them ease the concerns of not-so-partisan Americans who want little more than economic security and will sacrifice anything to get it? Can any of them win outside of their areas of obvious strength? Reagan's ideology won't be enough. George H.W. Bush stuck closely to it, and had only a one-term Presidency.

Using Reagan as an analogue for Obama, I can predict that Obama will be re-elected in a landslide, and his successor will win election in his own right in 2016. In 2020 the Obama-era agenda will have lost steam, and some Republican candidate that we barely know now or hardly think Presidential because he has too many rough edges will have a good chance of winning States that complacent Democrats think 'theirs' until too late.   

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 05:16:01 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2009, 05:18:35 AM by Antonio V »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I agree with this prediction.
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -5.70

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 11:10:08 PM »

Our legislature didn't introduce legislation this time to eliminate the splitting of EV's and there are enough legislators who wouldn't for cloture on the bill anyway. So, I think our system is relatively safe. Actually I think Obama will take our NE-01 and NE-02 if he is a safe incumbent in 2012. Obama didn't do campaigning here other running a few ads, our economy is better than almost any part of the country, and Obama still won an EV. I've said this before and I'll say it again: Democrats have not won in the northern plains because they haven't tried. They haven't because our EV's are tiny and republicans have historically ruled this area. But, they could cut a significant dent in that republican margin if they tried. Mind you, I'm not predicting they will, only stating that we wouldn't be a lost cause....
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies