Opinion of Bob Jones University
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:15:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Bob Jones University
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Bob Jones University
Positive

Neutral

Negative

An abomination

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Opinion of Bob Jones University  (Read 5103 times)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 10:28:05 AM »

That a school with Biblical principles is denied accreditation is just another sign of the vicious persecution of Christians in the US.
Get out of your cave.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 02:18:16 PM »

Given the content of the "education," sometimes ignorance is better.  Tongue

Having reviewed their home school history curriculum, ignorance is too kind a word.  Call it malevolent ignorance....

What is BJU's version of history I wonder?

White man brought Christianity to baby-eating, devil worshiping pagan natives.  White man brought devil-worshiping Africans to America to find Jeebus as their Lord and personal savior.  And most of them were well treated and happy before they got uppity and started rabble rousing.

Most of the founding fathers were born again Christians.  But it really doesn't matter because the TRUE founding fathers were the Puritans, who established a theocracy...not wingnuts like Jefferson.

If you can stomach it, read Peter Marshall's horrible abortion entitled, The Light and the Glory and you will have some idea of the Bob Jones delusion.  It's recommended reading in their home school program.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 02:32:04 PM »

Having reviewed their home school history curriculum, ignorance is too kind a word.  Call it malevolent ignorance....

White man brought Christianity to baby-eating, devil worshiping pagan natives.  White man brought devil-worshiping Africans to America to find Jeebus as their Lord and personal savior.  And most of them were well treated and happy before they got uppity and started rabble rousing.

Most of the founding fathers were born again Christians.  But it really doesn't matter because the TRUE founding fathers were the Puritans, who established a theocracy...not wingnuts like Jefferson.

If you can stomach it, read Peter Marshall's horrible abortion entitled, The Light and the Glory and you will have some idea of the Bob Jones delusion.  It's recommended reading in their home school program.

Wow, just wow! So many nutters, so little time. Is the Marshall tract readable?  I don't enjoy reading religious tomes with lots of Bible quotes. I find it annoying. Tongue
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 05:36:39 PM »

Wow, just wow! So many nutters, so little time. Is the Marshall tract readable?  I don't enjoy reading religious tomes with lots of Bible quotes. I find it annoying. Tongue

Barely.  Marshall wasn't all that bright.  I don't recall lots of Scripture recitation...some to be sure.  But the complete missing of history's example is what blew me away.  Every historical attempt at theocracy, Christian or otherwise, has ended in blood.  Yet Marshall's acolytes still point us in that direction...

Nah...spare yourself.  I don't like to cast swine before pearls...  ;-)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 08:56:40 PM »

4. God help us. They do have the right to exist...but God Damn...Tolerance isn't the same as acceptance.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2009, 12:42:24 AM »

Option 4 (normal, sane)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 12:49:04 AM »

Isn't that an "Obamanation"? Wink
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2009, 10:13:06 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Are these people for real?

Most colleges ban weapons and fireworks, including the very liberal university that I attended. Microwave ovens? Probably still banned in dorm rooms. They can get very messy. You don't cook in a dormitory room.

Televisions and video games are probably incompatible with education. At the college that I attended, I saw a few in the freshmen dormitory who had TVs (this was in the 1970s); all of them dropped out. There was a TV in common areas, and most of us had programs that we watched -- evening news, the World Series, and perhaps one or two sitcoms (like The Odd Couple) Movie going? There were movies, but they weren't run-of-the mill material; they came through a projector on Friday night, and they included, as I recall, Citizen Kane, Bonnie and Clyde, and The Battleship Potemkin. More than one movie a week? Nobody can study eighty hours a week, but one must dedicate too much time to watch random movies.

Music is a different matter. The time suggests that it was either (now) Classic Rock, folk, rhythm-and-blues, jazz, or classical. There were no video games for anyone then other than Pong, and we had no use for it because it was boring.

Bob Jones University sounds like a place in which one could get a supposed education but come out utterly naive. No movies? Movies are the definitive 20th-century art form as literature with pictures.  Sure, they often distort reality; so did Michelangelo, so did Rembrandt, so did Degas, and so did Vincent van Gogh. No jazz? One misses something. I'm surprised that Bob Jones University doesn't explicitly ban opera and classical music. Bob Jones is not a Catholic school, so I can imagine what it would do with recordings of Mozart's Requiem and Mass in C.   

Why does college exist, and why would anyone spend thousands of dollars that could be used for retirement funds or outright hedonism? I always thought that it was for preparation for adult roles in life -- which implies meeting people with values and desires very different from one's own? After college there will be all sorts of music, and one might as well know something about music before one leaves college. Movies? The ability to discern trash from gold is an essential trait of adulthood.

There will be moral challenges, and only those who know what the snares of the Devil are can effectively avoid them.

If you want a good Christian education, then go to Notre Dame.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies