Mitt Romney's political future
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:15:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Mitt Romney's political future
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mitt Romney's political future  (Read 6611 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 10:42:24 AM »

Another person now proves my point. "Unsubstantiated BS" is just a pejorative that you use to dismiss my negative opinion of Romney/positive opinion of Huckabee.

Usually the spoiler is the guy in third place who is farthest away from winning of the three candidates but takes enough of a certain electorate away to prevent one member of the top two from winning. Of course you may still beleive Huck was second. He wasn't, as Paul pointed out, on 2/7/08 the day Romney got out Romney had 100 more delegates then Huck. Romney also beat Huck in the nationwide primary popular vote even counting the states after Romney got out.

If it was Romney who was in second place, then why did he drop out before Huckabee? Further, you are intentionally using the results as of February 7 just so that you can put Romney ahead of Huckabee. You should be looking at the results when the winner (McCain) receieved the delegates necessary to get the nomination. The delegate counts at the end (which is what really matters) has nothing to do with the delegate counts in an intermediate stage such as February 7. Also, your use of the word "usually" suggests that Huckabee was not necessarily the spoiler, even if he was indeed in third place as you claim. Like the Democrats when their own candidate lost in 2000, you also are disregarding the fact that, like in the general election, popular vote does not matter; delegates (primaries)/electoral votes (general election) do.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Having religion as part of the reason for one's opposition to the stimulus does not equal lack of economic credentials and to suggest that it does is being at least as anti religious as the stimulus.

Well, that is not "the best he's got". You are suggesting that his only talking point is opposition to the stimulus because of religion, which is obviously false. Plus, your claim that "Middle Class suburbanites aren't going to lose any sleep over a stimulus package being un-religious" does not make the stimulus's religious stance irrelevant, nor does it make it any more acceptable. I must also note that your use of the term "wedge issues" leads me to question if you are really a conservative as your PM score suggests (especially on social issues), though now I understand why you hate Huckabee.

Those traits of the stimulus being facts does not mean that the stimulus's anti religious stance is not a fact. You are also suggesting that, just because Huckabee notes the anti religious stance of the stimulus, he must be OK with the rest of what you mentioned, which is false. You are arguing that they are mutually exclusive: either one criticizes the stimulus for its anti religious stance, or for the rest of what you mentioned, but not both.

Also, your claim that "Huck was jawing away about nonsense on his show and wrote one bone headed Op-ed" again proves my claim.

Plus, having an MBA (or a college degree in general) does not make Romney (or anyone) "qualified to be dog catcher" either. For example, Obama, too, graduated from Harvard and even chaired the Harvard Law Review (or at least that is what most people think of him), but that does not make him a good president. So, I will move on now to your claims of Romney cleaning up corruption (which for the record has nothing to do with economics, but whatever) and deficit to surplus; Huckabee did both while being a governor himself. And lastly, you mention "a real health care plan", which is certainly irrelevant; you have not even explained what you consider to be "real"! (Plenty of your other claims in that paragraph require explanation as well.)

1. Romney got out casue he was in a hopeless position. Huck was too but he was never serious and thus stayed in for the extra attention

2. It stands to reason that if Romney beat Huck in both delegates and Popular votes through Feb 7, that Romney would have beat Huck among both delegates and popular votes had he stayed in till March.

3. You don't want religion to be your head line when people are losing there jobs, homes, and savings. That turns people away because they want to hear about economic problems. If you want to include religion in your arguement thats fine but make the headline something that people can sink there teeth into.

4. You have no reason to question my conservative credentials. All I said was a statement about the voting habits of panicked population. All preconceived notions fly out the window and all that matters is, Who will get me a job?, who will deal with high gas prices?, Who will deal with the declining value my home?. You have no reason to question my conservative beliefs and values over a statement that you misinterpreted.

5. The term Wedge issue is a term used to describe any issue that distracts from a problem that gets people to vote for party that otherwise would not just because of that one issue. It does not make me any less of a conservative to use the term.

6. I did not say that Huck was "okay" with the rest of the stimulus. He comes across that way to independents and moderates who decide the elections. If they see a headline about religion and a stimulus bill they will be less likely to read it but if its a headline that reads "Stimulus bill will limited effects over the next few years" That will grab peoples attention. Now you are reading too much into what I said. My point was it was a poor statement on the stimulus and he isn't getting the point accrossed as well as others are.

7. The reason I said it was boneheaded was because it wasn't well though out and has limited appeal beyond Evens and Social Conservatives.

8. Obama is a Lawyer, Romney is a businessman.

9. When I mentioned Romney cleaning up corruption and turing a deficit into a surplus that was in context of his work at the winter Olympic games. Huck did not clean up corruption in Arkansas in fact made it worse with is spending and tax hikes.

10. When I said "Real Health Care" plan it was a jab at the half measures the GOP has been proposing over the years such as Health Savings Account, a good idead but it be better as a part of Plan then being the end all be all of GOP Health Care reform. Romney was the only candidate on the GOP side to offer a plan and is the only one on either side to have experience on the issue. And I think Health Care is very relevent as it is probably the number 2 or 3 concern on many peoples minds.

What else was confusing you about my post. I am not a mind reader.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 10:56:22 PM »

I think he'll run but not win. He reminds me of William Seward. he'll be a candidate for Treasury Secretary after Obama is defeated in 2012.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies