Will Hillary Clinton seek the Democratic Presidential nomination in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 07:20:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Hillary Clinton seek the Democratic Presidential nomination in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Will Hillary Clinton seek the Democratic Presidential nomination in 2016?  (Read 12704 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 09:15:31 PM »

Something tells me that the politicians seeking the nomination in '16 most will be people we know today. And that they will be older then average (60+) just a thought.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 10:40:21 PM »

I think Nixon in '60 is right on.  If Obama is reelected but his second term is a bust, then Hillary, a member of the administration, will not ruin her legacy by running an impossibly uphill race.  But if Obama does well, and Hillary is a part of that, then you can bet your bottom dollar that Hillary will run in '16.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »

I think Hillary cares more about power than her 'legacy'.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 04:51:02 PM »

Well she might. It would be better if Palin runs in 2016 and Hillary runs against her. If Palin runs then she will totally run.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 05:56:11 PM »

No.

The only way she runs again EVER is if for some reason Obama is considered a failure within his first 4 years and she runs against him for the nomination in 2012.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 07:19:31 PM »

I seriously doubt it. Biden and Clinton both won't seek the nomination. We're looking at a new slate of candidates in 2016, unless Edwards is involved again (because of his younger age), but that's highly unlikely because of his wife.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2009, 07:20:13 PM »

No.

The only way she runs again EVER is if for some reason Obama is considered a failure within his first 4 years and she runs against him for the nomination in 2012.
That won't happen. Clinton is a part of the Obama administration and if Obama goes down he will take Clinton with him. Assuming Obama doesn't flame out Clinton will be in a strong position to make a run in 2016. No one is going to have bigger name recognition than Clinton and she will most likely be an instent front runner. Now as we saw in 2008 being the front runner does not guarantee you the nomination, but it is certainly foolish to dismiss her at this point.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2009, 08:03:27 PM »

That won't happen. Clinton is a part of the Obama administration and if Obama goes down he will take Clinton with him. Assuming Obama doesn't flame out Clinton will be in a strong position to make a run in 2016. No one is going to have bigger name recognition than Clinton and she will most likely be an instent front runner. Now as we saw in 2008 being the front runner does not guarantee you the nomination, but it is certainly foolish to dismiss her at this point.

Never say never.  Smiley

If Obama is viewed as a failure by 2010/2011, she will resign and announce her bid for the presidency shortly thereafter.  Let's face it, she is not in this for him.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2009, 08:06:02 PM »

Something worth keeping in mind: People keep saying "The Dems just don't like to nominate retreads from previous elections.  Only the GOP does that."  OK, but how often do you have a primary contest as close as the Democratic race in 2008?  The only modern equivalent on the Democratic side would be Mondale vs. Hart in 1984.  And in that case, Hart was considered the heavy favorite to win the nomination in the following election.  It's only because of Hart's sex scandal that his candidacy imploded, and we got Dukakis instead.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 02:41:06 AM »

I very much doubt it.

I think the 2008 election showed that people have more trouble with an older-candidate than might be expected. Clinton would be grazing 70, and personally I think Reagan did older candidates no favours.

The only way I see Hillary running would be if something truly dramatic or tragic were to occur during Obama's first term and Biden didn't want to run himself.

Otherwise - I think 2008 was Clinton's only real chance - she came extremely close, and if her campaign had any organisation outside of the big primaries, she probably would have made it. Honestly, I'd rather be Sec. of State.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 11:15:41 PM »

No
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 11:16:33 PM »

Man we were super wrong....
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »

I wasn't!  hee hee

Hillary Clinton likes to keep her options open.

For her to be a viable candidate in 2016, she will need to have had a successful term as secretary of state and the overall Obama Presidency will need to be viewed as at least semi-successful.  If this happens, the possibility of another run will be explored.

While it has not been used in this way in modern times, Foggy Bottom could be a strong platform from which to build a political power base.  The job is both high-profile and high-powered.  It is a very strong position to get things done, nationally and internationally, on a wide variety of matters.

I would not assume that a new generation will definitely take over in 2016.  Assuming that VP Joe Biden takes a pass, Clinton would come into the race with a resume -- First Lady, senator and secretary of state -- which would stand out against other governors and senators in the race.  It is also possible that President Obama might endorse her, which would carry major weight.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2016, 11:34:32 PM »

Lol.

I called Clinton as #45 as soon as Obama won the nomination in 2008. Funny that some people here didn't see it. And quite sad!
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2016, 11:47:23 PM »

I wasn't posting on here, but the instant Montana was called for Obama in the primary, I predicted he win the election in November including Indiana and North Carolina, he would be reelected without those states in 2012 against Mitt Romney, that Clinton would run in 2016, and that Donald Trump would emerge as the Republican candidate from a 17-candidate field on a right wing populist platform.

Believe me.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 12:18:46 AM »

I wasn't posting on here, but the instant Montana was called for Obama in the primary, I predicted he win the election in November including Indiana and North Carolina, he would be reelected without those states in 2012 against Mitt Romney, that Clinton would run in 2016, and that Donald Trump would emerge as the Republican candidate from a 17-candidate field on a right wing populist platform.

Believe me.

But we have audio tape that suggests otherwise. Will you deny it?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2016, 12:27:07 AM »

Ah, I was pleased to be wrong Smiley
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2016, 03:41:12 AM »

"Her time has passed now."

The tables have obviously turned.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2016, 04:00:31 AM »

According to the special "behind the scenes" issue of Newsweek that came out after the election, she was huddling with advisors during the DNC, to discuss the possibility of a 2012 candidacy, should Obama lose.

Face it, she still wants to be president.  If Obama serves two terms and is at least passably successful in the eyes of the public, she will step down as SoS in early 2015 to begin her campaign for president.  Especially if Joe Biden opts to take a pass on 2016 (not unlikely), Clinton would try to run as Obama's "heir apparent", filling the space that is usually occupied by the incumbent vice president.

This was disturbingly accurate.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2016, 06:20:15 AM »

Lol.

I called Clinton as #45 as soon as Obama won the nomination in 2008. Funny that some people here didn't see it. And quite sad!

I did too. Just not in this forum.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2016, 08:14:15 AM »

Of course she won't. She'll be near 70 at the time and she has a lot of trust issues. I think that young upstart Marvin O'Matley has a good shot though.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2016, 08:19:28 AM »

Of course she won't. She'll be near 70 at the time and she has a lot of trust issues. I think that young upstart Marvin O'Matley has a good shot though.

I was thinking Brian Schweitzer.  He wears a bolo tie so he has "common man" appeal, and I don't see him saying anything to embarrass himself.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2016, 08:53:07 AM »

Something tells me that the politicians seeking the nomination in '16 most will be people we know today. And that they will be older then average (60+) just a thought.

Part right.

But I don't think Clinton can win the nomination even if she does run. She had too much trouble with the black vote in 08, and that isn't going to change.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2016, 09:38:06 AM »

*applause*
Clarence Boddicker

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -5.91

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2016, 10:25:25 AM »

People have always talked about Donald Trump running for president. Any chance he'd run as a Democrat?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies