Mideast Constitutional Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 05:20:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Constitutional Convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Mideast Constitutional Convention  (Read 13372 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2009, 11:09:24 PM »

Hearing no further discussion from the people, I ask that we first vote on accepting Peter's Constituiton as a template.

I then ask that we vote on my amendments (which I'll formally draft over the weekend).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2009, 11:55:24 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2009, 02:37:08 PM by afleitch »

I agree that is probably best to agree in principle to the template then finalise with amendments.

Please vote aye or nay on whether to formally adopt Peter's constitution as a 'template' prior to further amendments.

Aye []
Nay []

Voting will remain open for one week. D'oh - 48 hours.

During this time draft amendments may be formed and tabled so that voting can open the following week. If these amendments are all voted down then we would still have Peter's constitution (if people vote in support)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »

I agree that is probably best to agree in principle to the template then finalise with amendments.

Please vote aye or nay on whether to formally adopt Peter's constitution as a 'template' prior to further amendments.

Aye []
Nay []

Voting will remain open for one week.

During this time draft amendments may be formed and tabled so that voting can open the following week. If these amendments are all voted down then we would still have Peter's constitution (if people vote in support)

This can only stay open for 48 hours, per Section 2 of the Rules of Order.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2009, 01:54:51 PM »

Aye [X]
Nay []
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2009, 01:06:27 AM »

Aye

On a side not, elections for presiding officer should be reopened tomorrow or the day after. Not sure how the timing works with the declarations, etc.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2009, 02:13:41 AM »

I'm assuming Afleitch is running again.  If he's not, I'll run.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2009, 04:54:01 AM »

Aye
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2009, 06:09:29 AM »

Aye
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2009, 12:51:08 PM »

We are short a vote. And afleitch, presiding officer booth probably as soon as the current vote ends.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2009, 02:20:32 PM »

Aye
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2009, 03:35:55 PM »

aye ftr
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2009, 11:49:19 PM »

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2009, 01:06:30 AM »

Alright, Afleitch, open the vote for presiding officer whenever.

Will you be running? If not I will. No offense Inks, but you should do the Governator stuff.

I also want to propose the following motion to add to 3C.

Article III

Section 5: The Wiki

1. The Governor is hereby given the responsibility of updating the Mideast regional Wiki for all legislation and occurrences during his or her tenure.
2. If such action is not taken within 30 days of the passage of said legislation or occurrence, the Assembly shall choose a member of its body to assume all responsibilities of the Governor until such time as the Governor has fulfilled the first clause of this section.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2009, 01:52:07 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2009, 01:54:54 AM by Governor, Fmr. Chairman, Fmr. Judge, & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

I'm going to hold off on posting my amendments until after we elect our presiding officer.

Also, now that Purple State is running for PO, I withdraw my name.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2009, 04:05:53 AM »

I won't stand for P.O. I will open the booth accordingly.

Presiding Officer

Purple State [ ]
Write-in [ ]

The results on the adoption of the draft constitution, though self evident will be certified after the end of the 48 hour voting period.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2009, 04:29:02 AM »

Presiding Officer

Purple State [X ]
Write-in [ ]
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2009, 07:50:57 AM »

Purple State
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2009, 07:56:44 AM »

Presiding Officer

Purple State [X ]
Write-in [ ]
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2009, 02:37:52 PM »

Purple State
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2009, 03:18:50 PM »

Purple State
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »

7 Ayes and 0 Nays on the vote to adopt Peter's draft Constitution. Motion carried
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2009, 05:59:50 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2009, 08:07:35 PM by Governor, Fmr. Chairman, Fmr. Judge, & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

The following 3 amendments are amendments which clean up the language of the Constitution, and keep consistency in the government:

Amendment 1:
1. Article I, Section 1, Clause 2, which currently reads: "No person shall be Governor who is not a registered voter resident in the Mideast Region."
shall be changed to read: "No person shall be Governor who is not a registered voter residing in the Mideast Region."

2. Article III, Section  1, Cluase 2, which currently reads: "The Assembly shall be composed of three members, each of whom shall be resident in the Mideast Region."
shall be changed to read: "The Assembly shall be composed of three members, each of whom shall be registered voters residing in the Mideast Region."

Amendment 2:
1. Article III, Section III, Clause 1-2, which currently reads: "Propositions shall be proposed by the Governor after such legislation has failed in the Assembly, but votes shall only begin between two and fourteen days after the legislation has failed. / Voting on Propositions shall conclude exactly 72 hours after beginning."
shall be changed to read: "Propositions shall be proposed by the Governor after such legislation has failed in the Assembly.  Voting shall begin between midnight Eastern Standard Time on the first Thursday proposal and 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday thereafter, and shall conclude exactly 72 hours after beginning."

2. Article VI, Section 1, Clause 2, which currently reads: "Votes on such Amendments shall last for exactly 72 hours, and shall begin between two and fourteen days after proposal."
shall be changed to read: "Voting on such Amendents shall begin between midnight Eastern Standard Time on the first Thursday proposal and 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday thereafter, and shall conclude exactly 72 hours after beginning."

Amendment 3:
Article IV, Section 2, Clause 5b, which currently reads: "...If he is also unavailable, then the Judge shall administer the elections."
shall be changed to read: "If he or she is also unavailable, then the Judge shall administer the elections."

Amendment 4:
Article II, Section 1, Clause 4, which currently reads: "The Superior Court shall arbitrate in all disputes concerning Gubernatorial elections."
shall be changed to read: "The Superior Court shall arbitrate in all disputes concerning regional elections."

The following amendments are amendments which actually change significant parts of the Consitution, and I encourage debate on the following.

Amendment 5:
Article VI, Section 1, Clause 1, which currently reads: "The Governor or the Assembly shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of this Constitution when ratified by a two-thirds majority of the People voting."
shall be changed to read: "The Governor, the Assembly, or a group of at least 25% of the registered voters in the Mideast shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of this Constitution when ratified by a two-thirds majority of the People voting."

Amendment 6:
1. The following shall be inserted into Article III as "Section 4: Initiatives":
You must be logged in to read this quote.
2. Article III, Section 4, which currently reads: "Section 4: Recall" shall be changed to read: "Section 5: Recall".
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2009, 06:10:33 PM »

I have no issues with the proposed amendments excluding Amendment 2. I believe that voting on propositions should be held once a month at a set time rather than scattered across the calendar month (for reasons of turnout) However that is a minor issue and I am willing to bend to popular opinion on that one.

I also intend to formally table an amendment that abolishes the position of Superior Court Judge delegating authority to a federal judge (and making the Speaker of the Assembly the 'junior' when booths need to be administered followed by the most senior Assemblyman etc)

On that note anyone who wishes to formally table suggested amendments please do so. It is preferrable to vote on these issues in one 'sitting' so to speak, rather than have a wave of voting.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2009, 08:06:03 PM »

I have no issues with the proposed amendments excluding Amendment 2. I believe that voting on propositions should be held once a month at a set time rather than scattered across the calendar month (for reasons of turnout) However that is a minor issue and I am willing to bend to popular opinion on that one.

I also intend to formally table an amendment that abolishes the position of Superior Court Judge delegating authority to a federal judge (and making the Speaker of the Assembly the 'junior' when booths need to be administered followed by the most senior Assemblyman etc)

On that note anyone who wishes to formally table suggested amendments please do so. It is preferrable to vote on these issues in one 'sitting' so to speak, rather than have a wave of voting.

Sorry - I had meant to change Amendment 2, but I forgot and just did a copy and paste job.  Good eye!
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2009, 08:48:59 PM »

I would like to propose the following amendments (continuing from where Inks left off so we can just refer to numbers):

Amendment 7

1. Article 2, Section 2, Clause 1, which currently reads: "In order to be nominated to the Superior Court, a person shall be nominated jointly by the Governor and Lieutenant Governor."
shall be changed to read: ""In order to be nominated to the Superior Court, a person shall be nominated jointly by the Governor and Speaker of the Assembly."

Amendment 8

1. Article 3, Section 1, Clause 3, which currently reads: "The Assembly shall have the power to choose its own officers, including a Speaker, and judge the qualifications of its members."
shall be changed to read: "The Assembly shall have the power to choose its own officers, including a Speaker, and accept or deny the seating of new members by a unanimous vote."

Amendment 9

1. The following shall be inserted into Article 1 as "Section 4: The Wiki":
[quote]
1. The Governor shall hold the responsibility of updating the Mideast regional Wiki for all legislation and occurrences during his or her tenure.
2. If appropriate action is not taken within 30 days of the passage of said legislation or occurrence, the Assembly shall choose a member of its body to serve as acting Governor and to assume all responsibilities of the Governor until such time as the Governor has fulfilled the first clause of this section.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies