President Forever results thread... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:30:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  President Forever results thread... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: President Forever results thread...  (Read 883263 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: August 14, 2009, 02:46:41 PM »

Barack Obama (D-IL) / Bill Richardson (D-NM) : 285
David Coppersmith (R-NC) / John McCain (R-AZ) : 263

I lost Ohio by 2%, polls showed me up by 6% there.

Who's David Coppersmith?

Oh, so as not to doublepost:

I was too lazy to bother doing the map, so I took a screenshot.

Senator Eugene McCarthy/ Senator George McGovern (D)
Mr. Richard Nixon/ Governor Spiro Agnew (R)
Governor George Wallace/ General Curtis LeMay (I)

The primaries were as intense as they were in reality-- I narrowly won against Humphrey and Kennedy, went along lines of ideology rather than practicality when choosing George McGovern as my running mate and then had to contend with a "McCarthy's nomination splits party" event.

The election phase was tough, but I eventually won. Wallace and Nixon split the right-wing vote so much that I was able to capture Texas, which was a big boost. I actually outperformed Nixon in a few of the Wallace states.

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:22:12 AM »

Ran as George McGovern in the 1984 scenario from the primaries. I left out Mondale and Hart to create an ahistorical race between McGovern, Jackson, Glen, and Hollings. McGovern easily won the nomination, largely following the endorsement of Jackson, which allowd him to soldify his base, while the party moderates were divided between Glenn and Hollings. I had wanted to pick Barbara Jordan, mainly because McGovern at this point would have to assume that he was going to lose. Why not pick an African American Women, picking up two historical event of note at once? However, Jordan was suffering from major health issues, and would very likely have declined if asked. McGovern himself would have had to realize that putting someone in the copilot's seat, someone who is very VERY ill, would not send a good message. Therefore, he probably would have settled on John Glenn, who was popular, well-known, and experianced.

The election went terribly. Despite McGovern's attempts at attacking Reagan, the odds against him were just to high. Reagan was popular due to a roaring economy, was much more charismatic, and had a massive war chest. McGovern was once again painted as the "Amnesty, Abortion, and Acid" canidate, and even though it did not have the same ring in it, it had the same effect within an America that was moving toward the right. George McGovern would be crushed in a landslide, while Ronald Reagan would achieve the largest popular vote victory since the "Era of Good Feelings"

Henceforth, all sacrificial canidates were titled "McGovern's Children"

Ronald Reagan (R-CA)/George H. W. Bush (R-TX) 51,063,247 61.7% / 499 Electoral
George McGovern (D-NY)/John Glenn (D-OH) 31,675,805 38.3% / 39 Electoral

I have to say, this seems like the exact outcome that would occur if they had really matched up this way in real life.

I actually came within - IIRC- 30 Electoral Votes of beating Reagan as McGovern in 1984. The trick is to go really, really, really negative, all the time. Any backfires are more than made up for in terms of the negative momentum the other candidate gets.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 11:30:07 AM »

What's the scenario with Trump in it?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 07:21:49 AM »

Oh, okay. Any chance someone could send it to me?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 04:30:58 PM »

I ran a merciless campaign attacking Reagan on the integrity issue- he had negative momentum almost constantly from the conventions on. By Election Day, I had a lead of about 310, but I had no idea it would be such a landslide.

Welcome to bizzaro-world, 1980.

!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 09:25:24 AM »

I ran a merciless campaign attacking Reagan on the integrity issue- he had negative momentum almost constantly from the conventions on. By Election Day, I had a lead of about 310, but I had no idea it would be such a landslide.

Welcome to bizzaro-world, 1980.

!

Just died a bit inside...

It was completely unexpected. I was in a good mood for a while before I remembered it was just a video game. Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 07:31:16 AM »

If you guys want a laugh, make LaRouche the Democratic candidate in the 1996 scenarion and see what happens when the first week's polls come out.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 02:09:49 PM »

Atlas Forever with a "Noble vs Moore" with me playing Flynn.

Ryan Noble, WI/John McCain, AZ: 457 EV, 51.8%
Scott Moore, MD/Bill Richardson, NM: 81 EV, 44.3%
Connor Flynn, ME/Lincoln Chafee, RI: 0 EV, 3.9%

Damn, how'd I get so badly crushed....

What is that, anyway? Someone made a scenario with a bunch of people here in it?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 04:38:52 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2009, 05:28:08 PM by oakvale »

Senator Gary Hart (D-CO)/Senator Dale Bumpers (D-AR): 44% of the popular vote, 107 EV
President Ronald Reagan (R-CA)/Vice-President George Bush (R-TX): 56% of the popular vote, 431 EV.

A bad loss, but not humiliating.

I was playing as Hart, and, thanks to Bumpers, I narrowly carried Arkansas, but my biggest achievement was making California competitive. Reagan won his home state by 2%. I think I'm going to play it from the primaries, hopefully knock out Mondale et al early, and fundraise like a lunatic for the general.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 05:40:31 PM »

1984, with primaries

Sorry for the double-post, by the way.

Okay, so, as I said, I've tried the 1984 scenario, playing as Colorado Senator Gary Hart, with the primaries switched on. It was... strange.

I was experimenting with an ad-heavy, campaigning-light, 'hands-off' strategy, largely as a result of my, y'know, laziness. With millions being spent each turn, my ad buys started to pay dividends as I established a hefty lead nationally. Then came the Maine primary, where I was tipped to win by a comfortable margin.

Alan Cranston won, as expected and, wait, what? Okay, well, that was a weird glitch, but I was still heavily favoured in New Hampshire, which was promptly won by Reubin Askew. What's more, and I can't stress this enough, Askew won New Hampshire in a landslide. I think there was a thirty-point gap between Askew and the runner-up, me. Christ.

Askew won in Iowa, and for a bizzare moment it looked as if the Democratic nomination would come down to a battle between Alan Cranston and Reubin Askew, but I managed to recover enough to win some crucial states, and eventually regain the momentum. Mondale won a smattering of primaries, Cranston carried Virginia and Florida because, I guess, why the hell not?, Askew took Nevada, South Carolina, Georgia and Delaware, and for some reason Fritz Hollings took Connecticut, but I manged to eventually clinch the nomination with a last-minute win in Oregon.

Gary Hart
Walter Mondale
Fritz Hollings
Alan Cranston, or Alan Cranston since you probably can't read that text.
Reubin Askew

The gruelling, weird primary's taken its toll, though. I gulped when I entered the general election to a sea of dark red, Reagan leading with 70% in the polls, and the message 'It is now a tie in Washington, D.C.' flashing in front of my eyes.

To be continued...
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 12:37:37 PM »

The AI is... fickle.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 04:50:15 PM »

Jerry Brown for President
The Primaries

I decided to run in the 1992 scenario as John Brown, the weakest candidate of them all (including Harkin, who I have won as easily twice). The major concern that was dealt with was the camapign organisation, taking over 15 weeks to upgrade. Since funds were also scarce, and there were no crusaders, Brown himself has to campaign in various states, depending on footsoldiers to work for him in areas he could not reach. In the end, it proved to be a slugfest between Clinton and Brown, each having upset the other in certain primaries. However, Clinton at the close of the North Dakota primary maintained a narrow lead in the delegate count..........

Bill Clinton - 1203 delegates
Jerry Brown - 1038 delegates
Paul Tsongas - 672 delegates
Bob Kerrey - 494 delegates

Lost at the Convention overwhelmingly. Here are the numbers.......

Bill Clinton - 2217 delegates
Jerry Brown - 1190 delegates

Apparently the character is too polorizing. He choose me for Vice President though......

Heh, I actually wrote an alternative history on another site in which Jerry Brown became President of the United States. This was in 1976, his first try, though I briefly considered setting the timeline in 1992. Bill Clinton became the bestselling celebrity chef in the country.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 09:29:03 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2010, 09:30:37 PM by oakvale »

Funny result in 1980

Governor Hugh Carey (D-NY) / Senator William Proxmire (D-AR) 387 EV, 52.8% of the popular vote

Former Gov. Ronald Reagan (R-CA) / Rep. George Bush (D-TX) 151 EV, 47.2% of the popular vote.

That's a weird election if I've ever seen one. A perfect Eastern-Western split, at least ignoring Alaska and Hawaii.

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 05:34:25 PM »

I've been working on a 1972 scenario on and off in my spare time, but it, uh, clearly needs some tweaking -

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies