President Forever results thread...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:49:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  President Forever results thread...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 130
Author Topic: President Forever results thread...  (Read 879470 times)
defe07

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: December 28, 2007, 02:07:41 AM »

I swear to God I don't know how I got 96 EV myself. I had like $2 million when I was endorsed (but I don't know how to give a candidate money) and used it to run ads. It's funny, I got Perot'92 numbers but won EV and didn't have that much money. CA went Giuliani because I played "spoiler" and got almost 8%. I must admit that part of my success was to have the low-tier candidates focus on winning states in the primaries. My crusaders, Russo and Thompson, campaigned everywhere except NH (not on the ballot) and Badnarik barnstormed here and there but mainly focused on raising money. I also had many foot soldiers and got endorsed by the pro-guns group so that may've helped too. I'm not sure if this is part of how Gabu's strategy works but I thank him. I would like to know though how I can give a candidate money and if a candidate that ran in a primary can run under another banner. Before I forget, all the candidates that dropped out gave Badnarik political points. Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #876 on: December 28, 2007, 02:12:33 PM »

How do you make yourself a candidate?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #877 on: December 28, 2007, 02:20:21 PM »

CanEditor
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #878 on: December 28, 2007, 08:45:01 PM »

Speaking of creating yourself in President Forever + Primaries, that's exactly what I have done in the last couple of days. I created myself Senator Conor Flynn (R-ME). I'm a moderate Senator of course Wink. I usually start off last in the polls but I start to gain my momentum in late December. In my two games running as myself, I usually win New Hampshire and win most of the Northeast and Western primaries and along the way surprisingly get the endorsements of Mike Huckabee and Sam Brownback. Then it's usually just me and Mitt fighting for the nomination, eventhough I've already got a guaranteed amount of Delegate votes. When it comes to the General Election it's usually me against Barack. But I do really bad against him, once I even lost most of the South and thus the Election. What's even weirder is that former President Carter endorsed me likewise with Bill Ritter and Barack got the endorsement of all the right-wing institutes and President Bush!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #879 on: December 28, 2007, 09:47:48 PM »

How the HELL did that happen? DId you give Badnairk $999,000,000 dollars?

I've done a similar thing.  What I did was restart the game over and over until every single endorsement was worth money, and then I put everything into getting all four endorsements.  Then that gives you enough money to make a sizable dent in the proceedings.
defe07

« Reply #880 on: December 28, 2007, 10:10:33 PM »

Whoa Gabu, would you mind telling me how's your strategy? Do you use the same thing when you're running as an indy or 3rd party candidate? Thanks!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #881 on: December 28, 2007, 10:55:47 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2007, 04:23:40 AM by Gabu »

Whoa Gabu, would you mind telling me how's your strategy? Do you use the same thing when you're running as an indy or 3rd party candidate? Thanks!

Well, the main force of my strategy is always a two-part ad burst, preferably to the entire nation, but certainly to as many states at the same time as you can.  I throw out one about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the campaign to halt any advancements my opponent(s) might be making - if you let them go for too long, they'll have wrapped up too much of the nation for you to be able to win them back at the end.  I then throw out the second one as close to the end as I can such that I'll just run out of money right on election day.  This is for two reasons.  For one, positive momentum going into the election is huge; running out of money right on the last day after a massive ad blitz ensures that you have the maximum momentum on election day.  For two, the "X's campaign out of funds" negative newspaper headline does not appear until the day after you run out of money - if you run out of money on election day, it will never appear.

As a third-party candidate, my strategy has always been to win all of the endorsements right away, focusing on those with an attached monetary benefit first (as you can do this with no expenditure whatsoever) and then I simply spend the entire campaign fund raising.  This ensures that I will be able to run the ads when I go to do so for as long and to as many states as possible.

One thing to recognize about President Forever is that momentum is huge.  The more momentum you have, the more you can get later.  If one of your opponents is beginning to gain the edge, a one-day ad blitz to the entire nation can easily get you momentum well into the three digits, which will completely and utterly obliterate the advantage your opponent was having.  The ad campaign is not sustainable; once the ad stops and the momentum wears off, things will go right back to where they were before.  The trick is to time it just right so that the nation is right where you want it on election day.

Oh yes, and always be researching a scandal on your strongest opponent.  The best thing a third-party candidate can possibly have is for both major party candidates to have negative momentum.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #882 on: December 29, 2007, 10:02:40 AM »

I beat Thompson 55-45 in the PV and 361-177 in the EV.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #883 on: December 29, 2007, 07:44:22 PM »

I beat Thompson 55-45 in the PV and 361-177 in the EV.

Could you post a map next time? I'm always interested in other peoples campaigns in P4E.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #884 on: December 29, 2007, 08:45:37 PM »

I beat Thompson 403-135 in the EC, and won the PV 56.8-43.2.  I lost Kansas by 900 votes, and lost Georgia by 1,379.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #885 on: December 29, 2007, 11:12:39 PM »

I beat Thompson 403-135 in the EC, and won the PV 56.8-43.2.  I lost Kansas by 900 votes, and lost Georgia by 1,379.

But you didn't flip WV or VA? Odd.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #886 on: December 29, 2007, 11:14:22 PM »

That's the magical essence of President Forever + Primaries for you. Take a look at my Jackson vs. Reagan map from when I was playing the 1976 scenario. Now that's weird and President Forever + Primaries for you.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #887 on: December 29, 2007, 11:26:12 PM »

At the end of the campaign I focused on FL and OH.  I didn't think the campaign was going to be as lopsided as it turned out to be.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #888 on: December 30, 2007, 05:10:53 AM »

Well, the main force of my strategy is always a two-part ad burst, preferably to the entire nation, but certainly to as many states at the same time as you can.  I throw out one about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the campaign to halt any advancements my opponent(s) might be making - if you let them go for too long, they'll have wrapped up too much of the nation for you to be able to win them back at the end.  I then throw out the second one as close to the end as I can such that I'll just run out of money right on election day.  This is for two reasons.  For one, positive momentum going into the election is huge; running out of money right on the last day after a massive ad blitz ensures that you have the maximum momentum on election day.  For two, the "X's campaign out of funds" negative newspaper headline does not appear until the day after you run out of money - if you run out of money on election day, it will never appear.

As a third-party candidate, my strategy has always been to win all of the endorsements right away, focusing on those with an attached monetary benefit first (as you can do this with no expenditure whatsoever) and then I simply spend the entire campaign fund raising.  This ensures that I will be able to run the ads when I go to do so for as long and to as many states as possible.

One thing to recognize about President Forever is that momentum is huge.  The more momentum you have, the more you can get later.  If one of your opponents is beginning to gain the edge, a one-day ad blitz to the entire nation can easily get you momentum well into the three digits, which will completely and utterly obliterate the advantage your opponent was having.  The ad campaign is not sustainable; once the ad stops and the momentum wears off, things will go right back to where they were before.  The trick is to time it just right so that the nation is right where you want it on election day.

Oh yes, and always be researching a scandal on your strongest opponent.  The best thing a third-party candidate can possibly have is for both major party candidates to have negative momentum.

I just ran as Nader in 2000 with the above strategy and this was the result:

Basically I did all the endorsements and made four ads: Leadership/Nader, Experience/Nader, Leadership/Attacking Bush, and Integrity/Attacking Gore.  I then put all these ads into the states with 3-5 EVs and calculated how long I could run them for (it came out to 5 days).  So I then ran all four ads once a week for five weeks (I realized that since it takes a while for your momentum to die down, it's actually better to spread out your ad blitzes instead of running them for consecutive days).  Then I blasted the whole nation with all four ads on the last day.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #889 on: December 30, 2007, 06:48:44 AM »

Basically I did all the endorsements and made four ads: Leadership/Nader, Experience/Nader, Leadership/Attacking Bush, and Integrity/Attacking Gore.  I then put all these ads into the states with 3-5 EVs and calculated how long I could run them for (it came out to 5 days).  So I then ran all four ads once a week for five weeks (I realized that since it takes a while for your momentum to die down, it's actually better to spread out your ad blitzes instead of running them for consecutive days).  Then I blasted the whole nation with all four ads on the last day.
I also tried with Nader using about the same strategy except I didn't only target small states with my ads. I made them national ads every time I put them up.
Here are the results:

Nader managed to win Alaska and Nebraska, also he came pretty close to winning in Georgia, New Mexico and Conneticut. Oh and California was really weird....
National vote:
Bush: 38%
Gore: 36%
Nader: 15%
Others: 11% (Buchanan was able to get 6%!)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #890 on: December 30, 2007, 07:11:23 AM »

I also tried with Nader using about the same strategy except I didn't only target small states with my ads. I made them national ads every time I put them up.
Here are the results:

Nader managed to win Alaska and Nebraska, also he came pretty close to winning in Georgia, New Mexico and Conneticut. Oh and California was really weird....
National vote:
Bush: 38%
Gore: 36%
Nader: 15%
Others: 11% (Buchanan was able to get 6%!)

Targeting small states I've found is better than making it national as a third party because since you don't have the money that the major party candidates have, you get severely restricted on how long you can run your ads, and just running them for a single day doesn't do that much.  I've found that your best results come from running your ads in as many states as you can, but making sure you can run your ads for at least four to five days in the states that you've set aside.  You'll never win as a candidate who was totally irrelevant in the actual election in real life, but if you use this strategy, you can pick up quite a fair number of states and play spoiler (as I did above).  I think that Nader hit 22% nationwide in my run.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #891 on: December 30, 2007, 08:11:16 AM »

I just played as Orville Faubus for kicks in 1960 (he got 0.07% of the vote in real life) and got this:

I got 16% of the vote, good for 15 EVs, and thus spoiling the election for Nixon, who only managed to get 267 EVs and then Congress voted for Kennedy.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #892 on: December 30, 2007, 09:35:59 AM »

I end up beating Romney most regularly and most brutally.

This was the map of my biggest victory.

Romney/Hagel - 52 EV - 41.9%
Polnut/Warner - 486 EV - 58.1%

Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #893 on: December 30, 2007, 09:49:44 AM »

could someone run me against Romney?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #894 on: December 30, 2007, 12:27:42 PM »

I beat Romney 515-23 in the EC and 61.1-38.9 in the PV.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #895 on: December 30, 2007, 01:01:01 PM »

Constine: 62.3% PV, 529 EV
Giuliani: 37.7% PV, 9 EV
As goes Utah, so goes Idaho...
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #896 on: December 30, 2007, 03:19:31 PM »

I just played as Orville Faubus for kicks in 1960 (he got 0.07% of the vote in real life) and got this:

I got 16% of the vote, good for 15 EVs, and thus spoiling the election for Nixon, who only managed to get 267 EVs and then Congress voted for Kennedy.

Speaking of Faubus, once I managed to get 243 Electoral Votes as him! But of course the United States Congress voted for Senator Kennedy, who only received about 90 Electoral Votes.
defe07

« Reply #897 on: December 30, 2007, 04:46:52 PM »

Do you play using the Primary mode or General Election mode? Anyways, I always try to have my crusaders barnstorm in as many states as I want (usually it's every state except NH) and this helps me when I'm raising money. I always run my ads in the smallest states and sometimes I barnstorm there as well. When I get the pro-gun rights endorsement, I see if any states where footsoldiers are located focus on the small states I'm targeting. If so, I keep the ads running there and barnstorm in the other states. Anyways, I will admit that I always play using the Primary mode and I self-endorsed Badnarik (playing as Gore, Warner, Bayh, Frist and Allen). How about you Gabu, do you do the same thing or are your results thanks to the GE mode?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #898 on: December 30, 2007, 07:06:34 PM »

I ran as Bloomberg in 2008, though I had to put him in the Liberatarian Party (I changed all their positions though so it basically became the Bloomberg cult party). I gave him around 100 million or so, clearly he would be able to spend at least that much in a presdiential race.

here are the results:

Popular vote:
Bloomberg: 34%
Clinton: 31.5%
Romney: 29.5%
Pertouka: 5%

So Bloomberg came 7 EV's short of the presidency, the democratic congress elected Clinton to office. Closest state: Florida which would have been even worse than 2000 because the three major candidates were all within 6,000 votes of each other (Romney then Bloomberg about 2000 less and Clinton 4000 less than Bloomberg). Yeah it would have been a blood bath in the days after the election.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #899 on: December 31, 2007, 02:24:27 AM »

Speaking of Faubus, once I managed to get 243 Electoral Votes as him! But of course the United States Congress voted for Senator Kennedy, who only received about 90 Electoral Votes.

How on Earth did you manage that?

Do you play using the Primary mode or General Election mode? Anyways, I always try to have my crusaders barnstorm in as many states as I want (usually it's every state except NH) and this helps me when I'm raising money. I always run my ads in the smallest states and sometimes I barnstorm there as well. When I get the pro-gun rights endorsement, I see if any states where footsoldiers are located focus on the small states I'm targeting. If so, I keep the ads running there and barnstorm in the other states. Anyways, I will admit that I always play using the Primary mode and I self-endorsed Badnarik (playing as Gore, Warner, Bayh, Frist and Allen). How about you Gabu, do you do the same thing or are your results thanks to the GE mode?

General election mode; I rarely bother with primaries.  Primaries are an entirely different matter, obviously.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 130  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies