1968: Humphrey/Muskie vs Reagan/Brooke vs Wallace/LeMay
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:38:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: Humphrey/Muskie vs Reagan/Brooke vs Wallace/LeMay
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968: Humphrey/Muskie vs Reagan/Brooke vs Wallace/LeMay  (Read 1019 times)
Historico
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »

So let's say Ronals Reagan brings Thurmond on board by openly campaigning for the nomination in the summer, locking the South & California under his control. With no one able to win a first ballot victory the delegates—enthused by Reagan—give it to him. Thinking outside the box, during the convention decides on Senator Edward Brooke as an olive branch to Rockerfeller Republicans, and as way to establish future more broadly based GOP. Reagan/Brooke mangages to appear to be the more moderate out of Humphrey and Wallace...So how does the electoral map turn out.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 03:25:18 PM »

I'm not denying that Governor Reagan, if he did win the Republican Nomination in 1968, would have selected a Rockefeller Republican as his running mate to balance the ticket, but I highly doubt of all Rockefeller Republicans he would have selected Massachusetts Senator Edward Brooke.
Historico
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 08:40:31 PM »

Ok, I do think it would be a tad bit of a stretch for Reagan to choose Brooke, and allthough now we today might see it as an amazing ticket, it would be unacceptable to a majority of Americans, with Brooke being black man as well as a 1st term Senator. Reagan would reach out to a close Rockefeller Republican ally with some expeirence to shore up his lack there off...I think Sen. Clifford Case of New Jersey would fit the bill....So how might an electoral map look like between Humphrey vs Reagan vs Wallace?
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 01:43:29 AM »

Humphrey would have won. Reagan's conservatism would haven been too extreme too soon for America.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 01:51:13 AM »

HHH wins 286-207-45:
Historico
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 09:39:49 AM »

Now just hold on, one second...I think you guys are misinterpreting the amount of the White Backlash in '68...The Only reason Tricky Dick won because he was able to broaden his appeall and his message of law and order to middle class america. So im leaning on Reagan(Being much better at articulating the Silent Majority message) and probably end up running more toward the center on some issues would be able to squeeze out a victory. It's going to be Hella close like around the 270 range but he should win it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies