Populist/Bryanite GOP vs. DLC Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:14:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Populist/Bryanite GOP vs. DLC Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Populist/Bryanite GOP vs. DLC Democrats  (Read 4816 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2009, 02:07:20 PM »

If the gradual shift that has been occurring in each Party finalizes into some definite form in the near future, with the Republicans adding economic leftism/protectionism to their nativist repertoire and the Democrats becoming once again the Party of free markets, what would the map look like in a close election? Which states shift their present allegiances?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 05:49:37 PM »

Hmmmmm... not really... I could see this-

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this is what will be on CNN in the October of 2028.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:22:29 PM »

How Bryanite do you mean?  The current Huckabeeish "populism" that advocates reactionary, anti-poor measures like the flat tax, or a more real Bryanist movement?

If W. J. Bryan was alive today, he'd be advocating for all sorts of crazy schemes that would at least look like "fighting the big guys" and "defending the little guy."  I could see a Bryanist party calling for getting rid of the Federal Reserve, (ironically) restoring the gold standard, pulling out of trade agreements, trying to break up ADM and "restore the family farmer" and other such measures.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:45:41 PM »

This would mean a GOP that's the blue union workers, blacks and southern populists and a democrat party that's got a lock on everyone else. Basically we'd have the pary of freedmen and southerners against a party of 'Real americans'
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 07:55:13 PM »

Good GOP year

Good Dem Year

War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:59:48 PM »

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 12:20:55 AM »

I love PA's overrepresentation as a socially conservative state.  Remember, Obama's incredible margin of victory was from DLC-ish eastern Pennsylvania voters, not the declining populist west.  I think we saw the full effect of the realignment within the state from 1988 to present.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »

I love PA's overrepresentation as a socially conservative state.  Remember, Obama's incredible margin of victory was from DLC-ish eastern Pennsylvania voters, not the declining populist west.  I think we saw the full effect of the realignment within the state from 1988 to present.
I gave PA to the Populists because of Philadelphia's heavy african-american population, along with ethnic whites.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 08:04:08 PM »

One must remember that younger blacks are much more likely to be sympathetic to a DLC type Democratic part than to a populist style Republican party. Not to say they wouldn't trend to the GOP here (They would), but it wouldn't be as strong as some in this thread seem to think. Also, PA would stay with the Dems, and by a stronger margin than expected.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 02:51:31 AM »

Obama has assured continued overwhelming Democratic control of the African-American vote for at least the next 40 years.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 11:05:34 AM »

I gave PA to the Populists because of Philadelphia's heavy african-american population, along with ethnic whites.

True, BUT they would never vote Republican.  While many are reilgious, the majority of those voters are still pro-choice.  The ethnic whites are also pretty much secular Catholics and Jews.  I still think the Dems would prevail.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies