The South
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:06:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The South
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: The South  (Read 24569 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2008, 06:42:17 PM »

I'd live in any Southern state, including WV, KY, OK, and MO.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2008, 06:46:18 PM »

Dark Red: States I couldn't tolerate living in and have little respect for.
Light Red/Pink: States I could deal with living in and have some respect for.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2008, 06:47:47 PM »

You don't even live in the South anyway.

Yes, I do.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2008, 06:48:52 PM »

I hope you know MO isn't part of the South, but MD and DE are part of the south.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2008, 06:49:38 PM »

I hope you know MO isn't part of the South, but MD and DE are part of the south.

MD and DE have never bothered me at all so I haven't included them.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2008, 06:52:35 PM »

MD and DE have never bothered me at all so I haven't included them.

Well if you are going to talk crap about the south, then you might want to learn alittle about which states are in the south.
LanceMcSteel

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2008, 06:54:34 PM »

Southerners are emotional trainwrecks, unable to take back what they have dished to the North over the last 40 years.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2008, 06:57:36 PM »

Honestly, I've always considered Missouri southern.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2008, 06:58:10 PM »

Honestly, I've always considered Missouri southern.

But it isn't part of the south at all.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2008, 07:02:07 PM »

Haha, ok.  What makes Arlington Southern?  Is it rural?  Do people have accents?  Does everyone wear Sperrys and their sunglasses around their neck?  Is it overwhelmingly Baptist?  Is sweet tea consumed daily by all?  What about fried steak, barbeque, fried chicken, cornfritters, or grits?  Is high school football all anyone cares about?  No, no, no, no, no, no, and no.  So what does make it Southern?  Being in the same state as Southern areas?  So then is Miami Southern?  What about El Paso?  You don't live in the South.

Yes! Sperry's and sunglasses around my neck! Sounds like Charleston to me!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2008, 07:03:51 PM »

Haha, ok.  What makes Arlington Southern?  Is it rural?  Do people have accents?  Does everyone wear Sperrys and their sunglasses around their neck?  Is it overwhelmingly Baptist?  Is sweet tea consumed daily by all?  What about fried steak, barbeque, fried chicken, cornfritters, or grits?  Is high school football all anyone cares about?  No, no, no, no, no, no, and no.  So what does make it Southern?  Being in the same state as Southern areas?  So then is Miami Southern?  What about El Paso?  You don't live in the South.

Barbecue and fried chicken are very popular, yes.
LanceMcSteel

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »

Southern tolerance towards the greek and ethnic community.

''Jesse Helms, Hes one of Us''

-1972 Senate Race Slogan against Democrat Nick Galifianakis
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2008, 07:06:39 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2008, 07:09:28 PM by Beet »

The Census Bureau classifies Maryland and Delaware as Southern, and Missouri as something else. The Mason-Dixon line classifies Maryland and Missouri as Southern, and Delaware as something else.

Ancestry maps categorize southern Missouri as American or African American, along with the rest of the South, and
Maryland, most of Missouri, and Delaware as German, along with the rest of the North and Midwest.

Religious denomination maps categorize most of Missouri as Baptist, along with the rest of the South excluding a few places pointed out by the thread starter, and Maryland and Delaware as Catholic, Lutheran or Methodist, along with the rest of the North and Midwest.

Really, take your pick.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2008, 07:07:51 PM »

Fried steak is popular here in Minnesota... and we're about as non-southern as it gets.  Cornfritters and grits can pretty much go to hell, though... I'll take coffee and bars, thank you very much.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2008, 07:11:57 PM »

So constine ignored the bulk of the argument and simply commented on one minor aspect of it. Typical. Barbecue and chicken being popular is not enough to call somewhere the South. Constine reminds me of the "poseur" kids in middle school, who wanted to fit SOOOOOO badly into a clique, but didn't.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2008, 07:20:07 PM »

Duke, the place where you live is quite exclusive, correct?
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2008, 07:25:05 PM »

using census definition yes but historically MO is just as much as the other two as it was a slave state and the governor did try to secede from the union in the civil war [though im not sure if the rest of the state gov was with him on that id have to go back and read my civil war history] and from what i can tell its a mix today of southern and Midwestern.

and to the OP i myself dont dislike the south that much other then it being way too hot for my tastes though i do take issue with some people from the south who seem to think its a superior region and yes i dont like the people who hate so hard on the south from the north either regionalism is rather outdated in this day and age however i strongly disagree that obama needs to appoint someone from the south to a cabinet post he should pick the most qualified and who hes most comfortable with not try and appease different groups of people what does it matter if some idiot from the north or the south or the west gets appointed to some post as long as they do their jobs it really shouldnt matter.
Neinrein
Rookie

« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2008, 07:31:17 PM »

Are you kidding, seriously, are you kidding?  I have never read more stereotypes in my life than I have read in that one statement, and I take it based on that statement that you have never been to the Gulf Coast, because everything from Beaumont to Pensacola is run by Catholics, always has been always will be.

You don't see me opining on northern culture, which I know nothing about so why must you insist on boxing in the South into a narrowminded framework
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2008, 07:34:26 PM »

You don't see me opining on northern culture, which I know nothing about so why must you insist on boxing in the South into a narrowminded framework

You do a damn fine job of it yourself by trying to foist your Southern values on the North. We're predominantly Anglo-German; you people are mostly Scots-Irish. It's only natural that we ought to be more soberly-minded in our political proclivities.

I am tired of groups like Focus on the Family (headquartered in Colorado, to be certain, but funded almost exclusively by Southern reactionists) trying to meddle in Northern politics by funding crusades against gay marriage. Crawl into your Southern turtle-shells if you want, but leave us out of it.
Neinrein
Rookie

« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2008, 07:50:35 PM by Neinrein »

Haha, this is so silly.  But just to clear up two things I noticed from my light skimming, you contradicted yourself (and I'm sure this isn't the only time) when you go on and on about immediately accepting people into your culture yet one post later you deride the Bushes as not real Southerners that have never been accepted as such.  Interesting.  Then there are black people who are still not a part of Southern culture.  The other thing was that the Katrina response was slow because of Blanco.  The federal government is not legally allowed to step in unless the state formally requests federal aid.  Blanco didn't do this for days.  Then there was her decision to abandon hundreds of buses and the entire infrastructure of the state of Louisiana before asking the federal government to drive in and pick people up.  Mississippi's response was fully prepared and they, with the help of the federal government, handled the situation as best they could.  Then there's Florida, whose hurricane response system has always been top notch and fully supported by the federal government when need be.

One more thing.  Let's not forget that horrible day 7 years ago when New York City was hit by something worse than a hurricane.  Is that fixed yet?  No.

They aren't real Southerners, because they are the products of Northern prep schools, they were sent up to New England for boarding school, and they went to Yale. Eastern establishment. Just because they changed latitude didn't mean they changed habits, and black people are a part of Southern culture. That you made the statement that they aren't shows as further proof that you haven't spent a great deal of time down here

And if we're going to talk about Katrina. I'll concede, I didn't vote for Barbour the first time, I voted to re-elect him because of his Katrina response and because his opponent was a fundamentalist Baptist who was talking about cracking down on gambling, and like most people here, that makes me recoil, because gambling has been one of the main industries of here well before the legislature legalized it. The last mayor before Holloway was one of our Croats, and he's in prison right now for complicity in the murder of his law partner, who was a Superior Court judge, and his wife, who was slated to be said mayors primary opposition in the 1989 election. Of course, the official Slovonian line is, was that the couple was killed and the mayor was framed because the woman in question, had she become mayor, would have opposed the legalization of gambling, and the conspiracy goes, MGM had them killed, and then framed it on the mayor.

Not going to defend Blanco, but you have to understand, if I had been told as a bus driver, I am ordered to go into New Orleans 24 hours before a direct strike by a Category 5 or be fired. I would choose be fired. No one realized the severity of that storm till it happened. No one here did. No one evacuated Biloxi for Katrina......a day of my life I'll never forget. We ended up having to flee the home as the water began coming up and it wasn't supposed to come up that far because this house had survived Camille.

And to equate the loss of one skyscraper, while truly tragic, is not comparable to the destruction of multiple cities and towns, and the complete swath of total destruction that existed from the shoreline to a few miles inland from the mouth of the Pearl River to the Harrison/Jackson line. Really unequatable at all. There's a big difference between the loss of a block of territory and a 40 foot storm surge with massive waves on top of them
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2008, 07:45:26 PM »

You do a damn fine job of it yourself by trying to foist your Southern values on the North. We're predominantly Anglo-German; you people are mostly Scots-Irish. It's only natural that we ought to be more soberly-minded in our political proclivities.

If you're going to play the race card, you should at least realise that "Scots-Irish" doesn't actually mean "Scottish and Irish" but Ulster Protestant.

And, in practice, Northern England, Southern Scotland and parts of Wales as well, but that's a seperate, er, tangent. Surname patterns can be endlessly fascinating. The "lol the Irish are drunks" cliche doesn't work too well for those places either...
Neinrein
Rookie

« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2008, 07:54:27 PM »

This is stupid, you people are saying you hat the south because we don't believe like you do. That just makes you a bigot.

If you classify a history of sexism, racism, and homophobia as "beliefs" then I feel sorry for you.

That crap occurred all over the place. You're really dense if you believe it only happened in the South. You refused to respond to my argument about California and other non-southern states banning gay marriage. Typical. Just because you repeat an argument full of holes doesn't mean it will become true.

Compare the figures on gay adoption in Arkansas to those on proposition 8. Which state is more bigoted, again?

Arkansas is a thoroughly Democratic state and produced one of the better presidents this country has ever had, certainly his record improves by comparison every day that Bush stays in office. Bush did the same things that LBJ did and was surprised that it did the exact same damage to the economy
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2008, 07:56:04 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2008, 07:59:41 PM by Einzige »

This is stupid, you people are saying you hat the south because we don't believe like you do. That just makes you a bigot.

If you classify a history of sexism, racism, and homophobia as "beliefs" then I feel sorry for you.

That crap occurred all over the place. You're really dense if you believe it only happened in the South. You refused to respond to my argument about California and other non-southern states banning gay marriage. Typical. Just because you repeat an argument full of holes doesn't mean it will become true.

Compare the figures on gay adoption in Arkansas to those on proposition 8. Which state is more bigoted, again?

Arkansas is a thoroughly Democratic state and produced one of the better presidents this country has ever had, certainly his record improves by comparison every day that Bush stays in office. Bush did the same things that LBJ did and was surprised that it did the exact same damage to the economy

No, you're not going to get away with that. We all know exactly what sort of Democrats live in Arkansas, and who their candidate was in the 1968 Presidential election. And Bush and Johnson were absolutely nothing alike in their fiscal policies.

Man, those Arkansans are so tolerant.
Neinrein
Rookie

« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2008, 08:01:39 PM »

No, you're not going to get away with that. We all know exactly what sort of Democrats live in Arkansas, and who their candidate was in the 1948 Presidential election. And Bush and Johnson were absolutely nothing alike in their fiscal policies.

First, Bush and Johnson absolutely were alike. Both of them presided over large increases of the federal judgement, in Johnsons case, federal programs, in Bush's case, pork, both spent untold sums on quagmire wars, and both cut taxes while increasing federal spending. I would agree with an argument that we should not elect anyone who has held statewide office in Texas to the White House soon (though that doesn't do justice to Lloyd Bentsen, Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Ann Richards or all of the decent people they've had)

Second, 1948 Election Results, Arkansas:  Truman 61%, Dewey 21%, Thurmond 18%

Problem with the Democratic Party over the last 40 years is, a bunch of rich Rockefeller Republicans who had no business being in the Democratic Party all suddenly decided to become Democrats. I'm sorry, a guy with a Yale education who lives in a nice neighborhood in Connecticut should not be in the Democratic Party. That's not Mr. Roosevelt's coalition
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2008, 08:08:03 PM »

First, Bush and Johnson absolutely were alike. Both of them presided over large increases of the federal judgement, in Johnsons case, federal programs, in Bush's case, pork, both spent untold sums on quagmire wars, and both cut taxes while increasing federal spending.

I just love how conservatives want to unload Dubya now so as to make your movement look better. It's the same sort of thing you did after Nixon's failed Presidency, no?

At any rate, any similarities between the two are superficial (and it's awfully hypocritical for any Southern to rail against pork-barrel spending, when that's the only goddamned thing proping up a number of your state economies). Where were Bush's social programs?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

1968, fool.

Forty years ago, I'd have been a dyed-in-the-wool Republican of the Rockefeller Wing, and I'm not rich. Civil liberties mean a Hell of a lot more to me than the economic conditions of the predominant race. 

Yes, we understand that Southerners are envious of anyone with a semblance of higher education. But you don't have to screech about your anti-intellectualism every chance you get. It's really a turn-off.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies