Office of Mideast Governor Afleitch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:04:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Mideast Governor Afleitch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Office of Mideast Governor Afleitch  (Read 7593 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 08:07:36 PM »

Question to Mideast:

Why the hell did you let Xahar write your constitution? 

Note to Mideast:

Dirty South has sound constitutoin if you want it
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 03:37:48 AM »

I'm sure than they will love approval voting Wink
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 10:35:35 AM »

I have been asked why no voting booth has been opened on the matter of a Constitutional Convention. I believe doing so would violate our Constitution.

Article III states that - Within three days of the failure of a bill in the Assembly, the Governor may call for a Proposition on the bill.

This I put to you is in the same manner in which a Governor can 'call for' a Proposition on any other matter.

However Article III also states that Voting on Propositions shall begin between 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the third Thursday of the month and 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday thereafter, and shall conclude exactly 72 hours after beginning.

There are seperate voting procedures in place for recalls, special elections for Governor. There is only one designated procedure in the Consititution concerning votes on Propositions. Namely Article III 2.3

Therefore no vote will be held on this matter until the third week in January.
I would generally agree with your interpretation. The Second Constitution retained a lot of language from the First Constitution, and the language controlling Propositions is effectively word-for-word. When I wrote the First Constitution back in 2005 we had no need for instant propositions - there was quite simply nothing that couldn't wait.

If my interpretation is correct, it may technically invalidate some past legislation.
Probably safe, depending on our Judge. There is a statute-of-limitation that protects old legislation from being challenged in Court.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 01:45:04 PM »

Thank you Peter for your insight.

On other matters I will make an announcement on whether I wish to run for election soon-ish.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 07:29:57 PM »

Question to Mideast:

Why the hell did you let Xahar write your constitution? 

Note to Mideast:

I was against it.  I was against the Assembly.

Afleitch, you're correct in your intepretation.

Do we have a new assemblyman yet?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2009, 10:03:28 PM »

Xahar's Constitution continues to haunt us...

I'm surprised that it has no provision for emergency propositions.

Can't there be an Amendment to the Mideast Constitution to create said provision? Possibly allowing for a vote on emergency matters as decided by the Lt. Governor to be held within 72 hours of approval by the Lt. Gov.

I know the Amendment itself could take some time to implement anyway, but it may be worth having for the future anyway.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2009, 10:50:25 PM »

Can't there be an Amendment to the Mideast Constitution to create said provision? Possibly allowing for a vote on emergency matters as decided by the Lt. Governor to be held within 72 hours of approval by the Lt. Gov.

I know the Amendment itself could take some time to implement anyway, but it may be worth having for the future anyway.

OR create it so that hte Governor can open the proposition as an emergency prop.  Then my emergency actions by the Lt. Governor amendment from the 1st constitution (which was carried over to the 2nd constitution) would go into effect in the Governor's absence.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2009, 10:53:18 PM »

OR create it so that hte Governor can open the proposition as an emergency prop.  Then my emergency actions by the Lt. Governor amendment from the 1st constitution (which was carried over to the 2nd constitution) would go into effect in the Governor's absence.

But doing such would, in the future, provide all the power for such decisions in the hands of the governor. Why not, at that point, declare all props as emergency and rush them through? Best to have the Lt. Gov. have some say.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2009, 10:59:50 PM »

But doing such would, in the future, provide all the power for such decisions in the hands of the governor. Why not, at that point, declare all props as emergency and rush them through? Best to have the Lt. Gov. have some say.

And what if that prop is to fill the position of Lt. Governor due to a vacancy?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2009, 11:04:33 PM »

It can go to the Superior Court to decide after proposition by the Governor. If both are vacant it can go to the Assembly by majority vote.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2009, 11:06:29 PM »

It can go to the Superior Court to decide after proposition by the Governor. If both are vacant it can go to the Assembly by majority vote.

If you're going to take it to Superior Court, then leave it up to the Governor in the first place, and a suit can be filed by a citizen if they believe that the Governor abused the power.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2009, 11:10:16 PM »

If you're going to take it to Superior Court, then leave it up to the Governor in the first place, and a suit can be filed by a citizen if they believe that the Governor abused the power.

In the event that an emergency proposition is deemed necessary by the Governor the decision should be made by someone other than the Governor himself to prevent the rushing through of proposition after proposition.

I'd propose a hierarchy to make that decision, such that:
Lt. Governor. In the event that there is no Lt. Governor, the decision should be made by the judicial branch (read Superior Court). In the event that there is no Superior Court judge, the decision is to be made by a vote of the Assembly.

This seems reasonable to me. What are the objections?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2009, 11:17:02 PM »

In the event that an emergency proposition is deemed necessary by the Governor the decision should be made by someone other than the Governor himself to prevent the rushing through of proposition after proposition.

Lt. Governor. In the event that there is no Lt. Governor, the decision should be made by the judicial branch (read Superior Court). In the event that there is no Superior Court judge, the decision is to be made by a vote of the Assembly.

I see no need for a hierarchy.  Besides, many Mideasterners want to get rid of the Lt. Governor, and I don't see how this would tie in at all to the duties of hte SC Judge.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2009, 11:19:42 PM »

I see no need for a hierarchy.  Besides, many Mideasterners want to get rid of the Lt. Governor, and I don't see how this would tie in at all to the duties of hte SC Judge.

I'm obviously new so just throwing ideas out.

And I figured it would be best to concentrate this power into some sort of removed executive position. If Lt. Gov. is unavailable, the most independent sphere would be the SC, not necessarily as part of its standing duties. I am just looking for a check on the Governor's power without putting these decisions to a large and difficult vote.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2009, 11:25:59 PM »

In general, Atlasian votes aren't large or difficult. Just throwing that out.

In the Mideast, it's a rare occasion just to get the vote up!
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2009, 11:32:49 PM »

OK, fine.

Still not large, though.

Regardless, whatever gets legislation and propositions up for vote faster and more efficiently is definitely a plus. The more you can vote on the more you can address.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2009, 07:27:53 AM »

OK, fine.

Still not large, though.

Regardless, whatever gets legislation and propositions up for vote faster and more efficiently is definitely a plus. The more you can vote on the more you can address.

An able point.

When I ran for president last time, I wanted us, nationally, to go down a 'referendum' route - allowing for referenda on Senate legislation so that in effect, the polling booth 'would never close.'
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2009, 11:17:46 AM »

A further proposition my friends Smiley

Proposition 53: Initiative 31 (The Mideast Carbon Reduction Statute) is hereby repealed. The Mideast Region shall commit itself to achievable carbon reductions in 10 year periods.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 06:23:49 PM »

Voting Booth Open

You have the opportunity to vote on an amendment to the Constitution, which along with a new bill will allow for a safe and secure method by which to vote in secret. It is something I support and I was one of the most vocal about this during the last crisis (so you can guess how i'll be voting Smiley )

I would also like to take this opportunity to announce that, for the sake of competition, I will run for Governor at the next election.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2009, 06:26:43 PM »

Voting Booth Open

You have the opportunity to vote on an amendment to the Constitution, which along with a new bill will allow for a safe and secure method by which to vote in secret. It is something I support and I was one of the most vocal about this during the last crisis (so you can guess how i'll be voting Smiley )

I would also like to take this opportunity to announce that, for the sake of competition, I will run for Governor at the next election.

What crisis?

And, the best of luck to you Mr. Governor.  I look forward to losing yet ANOTHER election running against you.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2009, 06:41:18 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2009, 08:12:46 AM by afleitch »

During the last minute voting rush (and then editing) which may have 'thrown' the Senate race. Luckily that furore died down when people realised that it was essentiall 'playing the system'

And thank you for your comments Smiley Best of luck to you! It's been 3 years since I did this type of race so I'm pretty rusty - and my last race (presidency) was an epic fail Tongue
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2009, 07:07:03 PM »

Any word on filling the open Assembly seat?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2009, 07:07:18 PM »

You have my endorsement in your re-election bid.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2009, 08:32:06 PM »

Any word on filling the open Assembly seat?

He already appointed you.  You're in.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2009, 08:51:49 PM »

You have my endorsement in your re-election bid.

Ah, alright missed that. Let's get this party started.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies