Obama picks Rick Warren for inaugural invocation, gay leaders furious
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:34:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama picks Rick Warren for inaugural invocation, gay leaders furious
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Obama picks Rick Warren for inaugural invocation, gay leaders furious  (Read 16106 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2008, 07:14:41 PM »

About the prayer? No. I'm not ever religious and I probably wasn't gonna pay attention no matter who was saying it. Of course I disagree with this Warren guy's views, I'm a big gay rights and marriage supporter. But I think gay people are doing it all wrong, it's not changing anyone's minds on the issue. There's actually a hunger strike to protest Rick Warren doing the prayer. Jesus.

Just the other night, in many California cities, there were a lot of calm and peaceful protests. Of course, they probably didn't get much national coverage, but they sent a way stronger message than "I'm not gonna eat because this Warren guy is saying a prayer and he doesn't want me to marry the person I love!"

And fwiw, as gay men we're probably not even gonna changes our minds on this so. Tongue
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2008, 09:06:08 PM »

Gay people need to stop whining about every perceived wrong.  I mean Jesus H. Christ, shut up already.  Focus on the issues that matter, rather than these insignificant things.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2008, 10:00:57 PM »

So can we expect an anti-semite or a racist to be speaking at the inauguration? After all, we need to be tolerant of our differences.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2008, 10:05:31 PM »

So can we expect an anti-semite or a racist to be speaking at the inauguration? After all, we need to be tolerant of our differences.

And I certainly hope those Jews won't complain or anything. They just need to shut the hell up and respect differing opinion.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2008, 10:06:09 PM »

Rick Warrren just opposes changing the state constitution, and believes that marriage should be with a man and woman.  You cannot compare that to racism and anti-semitism.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2008, 10:32:17 PM »

Rick Warrren just opposes changing the state constitution, and believes that marriage should be with a man and woman.  You cannot compare that to racism and anti-semitism.

There's a difference between opposing such things respectfully, and proudly proclaiming in public you believe gay marriage is equal to incest, polygamy, and pedophilia.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2008, 10:36:51 PM »

People are overreacting.  Warren is going to give a short prayer; he isn't going to denounce gays, he is merely going to ask the Lord for protection, help, etc.  Focus on real issues, not little stuff like this.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2008, 10:39:32 PM »

Sorry, I'm not a puppet of the "Gay Rights Movement". I refuse to feign outrage about this useless issue.

How cute.

(he is a gay who is pro gay marriage)

What irritated me was someone who is gay putting the words Gay Rights Movement in quotation marks, as if it's a joke, its useless, or something along those lines. It's insulting and just self-contradictory. I have no respect for gay people who have no willingness to fight for what is rightfully ours.

First off, to clarify, I'm Bisexual, not gay. I am, of course, very supportive of gay marriage and the right to have it.

The reason I put the 'Gay Rights Movement' in quotes is because how bad it is at advocating actual gay rights. I mean, rather then putting political capital and resources into affecting actual policy and lobbying for change favorable to the LGBT community, some of its leaders have decided to waste efforts on this totally useless and non-beneficial issue (which is why I mentioned it, HAARP. I am a supporter of gay rights and I'm sickened to see it go down this path.)

Also, I am somewhat taken aback by the ignorance of this statement:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, I'm willing to fight. However, I won't fight a fight without any substantive benefit at the end of it. This Rick Warren debacle is a lose-lose.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2008, 10:54:19 PM »

I tend to agree with the previous poster.  We have to pick our battles.  Proposition 8 is a travesty, and we need to fight to have it reversed.  Fighting about Warren doing the inaugaural does little (nothing) to accomplish that end.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2008, 11:05:27 PM »

I’m not sure how I feel about this, personally. I read Warren’s book a few years back. I don’t really remember much about it, don’t think I finished it. But from what I remember, it was a decent book, talking more about your personal relationship with God then going on rants about issues you’d expect Social Conservatives to favor. So given that and the forum Warren organized, I was a bit surprised to find out he’s actually such an active opponent of Gay Marriage. I thought he tried to avoid the divisive issues.

I can certainly understand the outrage, and I think gays have the right to be annoyed by this. But I think one reason Obama likes Warren’s is because Warren and Obama have the same image in the eyes of many. They both seem pragmatic and willing to compromise with their opposition. Say what you want about the guy, but rightly or wrongly, Warren’s not viewed as a Robertson or Dobson, just as Obama’s not viewed as a typical stereotypical Liberal. Also, looking at the whole thing pragmatically,I’d say gays are not really viewed too favorable right now by average citizen. Echoing smarter minds then I, If that ban on gay marriage is overturned in California (which it hopefully is) you can all imagine the ammo that’s going to give the Social Conservatives. Frankly, I think there’s a chance we’ll come across too whiney and demanding with all these protests. Like it or not, most people personally oppose Gay Marriage. Now on the legal level, I think we should fight for our rights, absolutely. But to demand the exclusion of a pastor whose done alot of good, is widely respected by both sides of the political spectrum, and who happens to share the view of the majority of Americans on gay rights is not going to make us look good. Maybe that’s not important, but there are better uses of time and energy then getting too bothered over this. At least, in my view, Though I certainly can see where those on the opposite side are coming from.   

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2008, 01:56:04 AM »

There's a difference between opposing such things respectfully, and proudly proclaiming in public you believe gay marriage is equal to incest, polygamy, and pedophilia.

If one believes that same gender sex is immoral, then it would be hypocritical for one who holds that position to not equate it to other sexual activities they view as immoral.

As for myself, while I don't acknowledge the equation to incest and pedophilia because they are activities that it is essentially impossible to argue involve all parties involved engaging in informed consent to.  However, equating gay marriage to polygamy is perfectly reasonable, so long as the individuals involved all consent to the arrangement.  I ask you, since you seem to favor treating the two differently, on what basis do you find gay marriage acceptable and polygamy as unacceptable?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2008, 01:59:26 AM »

I actually don't find polygamy unacceptable. But one wouldn't lead to the other. And comparing the two is ridiculous because one is the oppression of one group of people simply for being a group of people, the other is regarding the structure of marriage itself as opposed to oppressing a group of people.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2008, 02:01:16 AM »

It's a freaking invocation.  I don't think it's a big deal who he picks.

It's the symbolism. It's someone who represents more of the same old thing that we've seen for years, as opposed to something different that America voted for. It's insulting to gay & lesbians, it's yet another unnecessary and ridiculous "compromise", and it's just plain stupid.

Why are gays angry about Rick Warren when OBAMA DOESN'T SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE?

Another good point.

And maybe it's just me and my lack of love for symbolism, but I really don't get the fuss over this.  He could've picked Louis Farrakahn and I wouldn't dislike him for it (I'd probably criticize the fact that he picked him for the invocation after rejecting his endorsement, but I wouldn't criticize him because Farrakahn is an anti-semite / racist).
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2008, 08:18:23 AM »

I'm going to say this once, then give up: This whole "Obama doesn't support gay marriage!!!" thing is a red herring. What most of us object to is the fact that Warren has compared homosexuality to incest and pedophilia.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2008, 09:19:29 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2008, 09:45:11 AM by brittain33 »

But I think gay people are doing it all wrong, it's not changing anyone's minds on the issue. There's actually a hunger strike to protest Rick Warren doing the prayer. Jesus.

Let's look at a different angle here. This isn't about Prop 8 right now--it's about making sure Obama doesn't take us for granted, as he appeared to do by picking Warren for his invocation. If the effect of this is to jump-start Obama's commitment to gay initiatives other than marriage, it will have been successful.

Prop 8 is why people are mad at Warren, but it's not why people are mad about Warren's being chosen. That's all about Obama.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2008, 09:20:18 AM »

Gay people need to stop whining about every perceived wrong.  I mean Jesus H. Christ, shut up already.  Focus on the issues that matter, rather than these insignificant things.

Ben, you've expressed much greater anger recently about whether northerners respect the south or not, which is no less symbolic an issue.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2008, 10:12:45 AM »

you know you're in the last days when an inaugural invocation by someone who teaches traditional biblical values becomes "controversial"
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2008, 11:29:09 AM »

you know you're in the last days when an inaugural invocation by someone who teaches traditional biblical values becomes "controversial"

'Traditional biblical values' are controversial because they are hatred, jmfcst.
panda_priest
Rookie
United States

« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »

I think if we started stoning disobedient children out in the streets that would be a tad controversial.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2008, 03:47:25 PM »

I actually don't find polygamy unacceptable. But one wouldn't lead to the other. And comparing the two is ridiculous because one is the oppression of one group of people simply for being a group of people, the other is regarding the structure of marriage itself as opposed to oppressing a group of people.

People who are in favor of polygamy aren't a group of people?

That makes no sense literally, so I'm presuming that you mean that polygamists are not the same type of grouping that gay people are. How are they a different type of group, and on what logical basis should they be treated differently so that state recognition of gay marriage does not lead to state recognition of polygamy or vice versa?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2008, 04:41:42 PM »

I think if we started stoning disobedient children out in the streets that would be a tad controversial.

let's see, according to your logic:  "we should stop preaching against murder, theft, bestiality, and incest...since those values also are found in the bible."

sorry, but you're just plain stupid (as well as ignorant of the differences between the old and new covenants)

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2008, 07:12:08 PM »

Once again, President-elect Obama proves his passion for true national unity and moving past the mind-numbingly stupid culture wars and the false "issues" they revolve around that has gripped our nation the last forty years.  Your fellow Americans, whether pastors in Orange County or gays in West Hollywood, aren't the enemy.  Rick Warren is a respected, patriotic American citizen with a best-selling book and millions of adherents.  He isn't Osama bin Laden. We're all in this together, and we have more important things to worry about than our petty differences.

If our country wants to progress into the new era intact, much less retaining our importance, we must leave the old differences between races, creeds, and genders at the doorpost and walk hand in hand.  President-Elect Obama and Pastor Warren are making a great first step at proving, like Obama always says, that there isn't a Red America and a Blue America, but a United States of America.  That we have gay friends in the Red States and worship an Awesome God in the Blue States. 
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2008, 07:13:16 PM »

Sounds like someone is auditioning for press secretary.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2008, 07:22:05 PM »

Smiley

Honestly, what I'm saying is that anyone surprised or disappointed by this has not listened to President-Elect's Obama for the last four years.  Punishing political opponents and not giving people who disagree a seat at the table was President Bush's MO.

At the end of the day, Rick Warren loves this country and Barack Obama loves this country.  That's all that really matters, in the final analysis.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2008, 08:36:07 PM »

Anything that makes Barney Frank unhappy makes me happy, so now I'm supporting Rick Warren in full force!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies