Have you switched candidates?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:42:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Have you switched candidates?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Have you switched candidates in this election cycle?
Yes, Democrat to Bush

Yes, Bush to Democrat

No, I've always stood by my man

Undecided voter(liar)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Have you switched candidates?  (Read 7246 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2004, 01:31:27 AM »

I'm saddened no one cares I've switched from Bush to Kerry.  Or perhaps no one's surprised?

I'm happy to see it, though since you aren't going to vote, and I assume you haven't or aren't going to contribute any money to the campaigns, it doesn't actually make a difference.

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised though, I would have assumed you would have cared more about economic issues than social issues.

Then again, perhaps you are now wealthy enough that protecting social freedoms is more important. That does make sense.

Actually the main reason I would feel comfortable with a Kerry presidency is the Republican congress.  Kerry wouldn't be able to implement many left wing economic policies, whereas Bush might be in a position to push the stultifying christian social agenda.  

That's a good reason for you at least.  The social agenda of Bush scares me as well.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2004, 04:16:03 AM »

Cool to see Opebo back Kerry, didn't really expect that to happen...

Personally, I've gone from Kerry-supporter to being against Bush to a rather luke-warm extent. I might vote Badnarik to protest.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2004, 08:44:21 AM »

When Dean looked as if he was running away with the nomination in December....I considered supporting Bush (I was a Clark/Kerry/Edwards threesome before that!) Luckily he didn't win.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2004, 11:30:15 AM »

I'm saddened no one cares I've switched from Bush to Kerry.  Or perhaps no one's surprised?

I'm happy to see it, though since you aren't going to vote, and I assume you haven't or aren't going to contribute any money to the campaigns, it doesn't actually make a difference.

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised though, I would have assumed you would have cared more about economic issues than social issues.

Then again, perhaps you are now wealthy enough that protecting social freedoms is more important. That does make sense.

Actually the main reason I would feel comfortable with a Kerry presidency is the Republican congress.  Kerry wouldn't be able to implement many left wing economic policies, whereas Bush might be in a position to push the stultifying christian social agenda.  

[indignant] Please.... [/indignant]
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2004, 05:08:07 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2004, 05:09:52 PM by opebo »

You disagree?  With my analysis of the balance of power or of Bush's intentions?

In fairness I'm almost as afraid of leftist social moralizers as I am of the christian type.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2004, 05:52:02 PM »

You disagree?  With my analysis of the balance of power or of Bush's intentions?

In fairness I'm almost as afraid of leftist social moralizers as I am of the christian type.

I believe that, like many, you make the logical falacy that, because there are people who are concerned with morality in public society, those people, nessesarily seek to impose thier moral standards on others.  This is not the case.  We simply seek to assure that our moral standards do not fall under attack.

P.S. Granted, a small minority do wish to transform this country into a Christianstan, but they don't come close to repressenting the majority.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2004, 06:51:05 PM »

I was always going to support to Democrat, but I was pissed that Dean or Edwards didnt wind up winning the nomination.  
nomorelies

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2004, 05:07:48 AM »

im backing bush
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2004, 12:44:20 PM »

I said 'No', but this is only semi-truthful. I 'supported' Kerry(meaning I dislike Bush more than him) before I became a Libertarian. After gave up on Kerry and waited till the LP nomination went to Badnarik, and I've stuck with him since.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2004, 04:48:09 PM »

Well, I voted for Browne in 2000, but I've been supporting Bush for a while now.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2004, 06:30:10 PM »

I did support Kerry in late 2003, but have thought less of him since then and now support Bush.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2004, 03:14:55 PM »

I believe that, like many, you make the logical falacy that, because there are people who are concerned with morality in public society, those people, nessesarily seek to impose thier moral standards on others.  This is not the case.  We simply seek to assure that our moral standards do not fall under attack.

P.S. Granted, a small minority do wish to transform this country into a Christianstan, but they don't come close to repressenting the majority.

Its not a logical fallacy.  If you are 'concerned with morality in public society' you are attempting to impose your moral standards on others.  What on earth do you mean by 'assure that our moral standards do not fall under attack'?  Are others attacking them by simply ignoring them, and thinking you laughable and absurd? I think at most that might be called criticising them.  No one really minds if you choose to live in a benighted way.

Your 'moral standards' have absolutely nothing to do with anyone other than yourself, and no one is attacking them.  It is in fact the christians who're doing the attacking, by attempting to impose their hateful agenda on other people who are merely attempting to live their own lives, and mind their own business.

As for the minority wanting a Christianstan, maybe you and I define that differently, but I think we're pretty close already.  What few freedoms we have from puritanism are thanks to the First Amendment, and I'm sure they'd love to do away with that.  I think a large majority of christains, and pretty close to a majority of americans, would like what I would call a 'Christianstan'.
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2004, 03:34:00 PM »

Well, I voted for Browne in 2000, but I've been supporting Bush for a while now.

A Libertarian.... who in the course of only 4 years has chosen to support a fascist?

Interesting.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2004, 08:23:03 PM »

A Libertarian.... who in the course of only 4 years has chosen to support a fascist?

Interesting.

Bush isn't a fascist. A poor leader or decision maker, perhaps(I disagree with him on policy anyways), but a fascist that does not make. I do see the appeal of Bush, even if I don't like him personally. Please don't make statements like that, it makes the Libertarians look bad.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2004, 10:40:16 AM »

While Kerry would not have been my first preference for the Democratic nominee, I'm sticking with him.

Lets just say I'm more pro-Democrat than I am pro-Kerry.

Dave
qwerty
ghwbush
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2004, 11:37:34 PM »

Personally, I've gone from Kerry-supporter to being against Bush to a rather luke-warm extent. I might vote Badnarik to protest.

How many electorial votes does Sweeden have now?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2004, 11:47:59 PM »

How many electorial votes does Sweeden have now?

Five thousand.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2004, 01:25:19 PM »

I've just officially changed my vote in the fantasy election, so yes.
Kerry doesn't seem to need it there, so I've given it to Leonard Peltier.
m3talsmith
Rookie

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2004, 06:38:14 PM »

I've though of not supporting Kerry but never though of supporting Bush.

Thought of not supporting Kerry but supporting who?

Write-in Dean or Edwards

Why the hell even waste your time voting?
Because that's who he agrees with, and I fully support a vote for a person conscience, even if I don't agree with who they are voting for.

Why waste your vote voting for someone you don't agree with?

Oh yeah, also I guess I miss voted. Minus one stand by your man because I was republican until 3 years ago I withdrew my support, and I only found out about Badnarik 3 months prior to his nomination.

But if you're counting from the conventions then I would say I've been with Badnarik since I first ran across him.
m3talsmith
Rookie

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2004, 06:39:50 PM »

Went from Bush to Badnarik.  Didn't decide until after Badnarik and LP.org started to publish info on the 2004 election, and changed party registration too.
Likewise I changed party registration immediately.
m3talsmith
Rookie

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2004, 06:42:16 PM »

I'm not surprised, although I am surprised by those who stand by or switch even though their not totally satisfied with the new pick.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies