John W. McCormack/Ralph Yarborough vs. Barry Goldwater/William E. Miller(1964)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:39:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  John W. McCormack/Ralph Yarborough vs. Barry Goldwater/William E. Miller(1964)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John W. McCormack/Ralph Yarborough vs. Barry Goldwater/William E. Miller(1964)  (Read 1473 times)
Historico
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2009, 01:24:03 PM »

So what if, during Senator Russell's Southern fillabuster of the 1964 Civil Rights Act had caused LBJ so much stress that he suffered a fatal heart attack in spring of 1964? With Speaker of the House being next in the line of sucession, he becomes the 37th President of 1 the United States?

Lets assume that by early 1964, RFK is still to deep in mourning over his brother's death and declines the vicepresidency(I also think His residence was still Mass, but im not to sure). So emulating Kennedy...The old irishman selects Texas Senator Ralph Yarborugh to serve as his VP and his running mate. The 1964 election probably goes simmilar to in OTL...but how might his 1st term and does he seek a second in 1968? Please discuss with maps lol
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:30:51 PM »

Goldwater wouldn't have selected Representative Miller as his running mate if President Johnson wasn't re-nominated in Atlantic City. Barry primarily selected Representative Miller because he "drives Johnson nuts" if memory serves me correct. I'm afraid I have no idea who he would select if Johnson wasn't the Democratic nominee.
Historico
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »

So might he go with Gov. Scranton of Pennsylvania then? either way I don't see it making to much of a difference in 1964, which proves Goldwater's theory that the American People do not want three(Or in this case, four) Presidents within a year.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies