Jindal laying groundwork for '12
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:13:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Jindal laying groundwork for '12
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jindal laying groundwork for '12  (Read 4223 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2008, 09:45:58 PM »

From JMart:

Bobby Jindal, the Louisiana governor widely seen as a Republican rising star, will keynote a high-profile  Christian conservative fundraising dinner next month in Iowa, his office confirms.

Jindal will speak at the Iowa Family Policy Center's “Celebrating the Family” banquet in suburban Des Moines on November 22nd, according to his spokeswoman, Melissa Sellers.  While in the state, he also may to go to Cedar Rapids to see some of those areas impacted  by the summer floods.   Jindal, of  course, has led his state's recovery from Katrina since being elected in 2007.

It will be Jindal's first visit to Iowa, Sellers said.

The trip is a reminder that, even with a presidential election looming, caucus politics is never far away in the Hawkeye State.

The Christian conservative organization is led by Chuck Hurley, a well-known activist who first backed Sam Brownback before switching over to Mike Huckabee in this year's GOP nomination battle.   

Their flyer touting Jindal's speech features quotes from conservative luminaries.  "The next Ronald Reagan," says Rush Limbaugh.

Jindal, 37, got some vice-presidential buzz this year and spent a well-documented Memorial Day weekend  at the McCain ranch near Sedona along with other prominent GOP elected officials and potential future rivals.

He has won praise from a range of Republican figures from McCain's top advisers to Limbaugh to anti-tax crusader Grover Norquist.   

Though never thought to be in the serious running to be McCain's running mate, he has emerged as frequent surrogate this year, doing Sunday morning shows on the Arizona senator's behalf and spending last Saturday at the LSU-Florida game in Gainesville making the pitch for the nominee.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 10:17:54 PM »

Wow. We haven't even had the '08 election yet and folks are planning for 2012. Not all that surprising though. Hard to believe we could have two non-white candidates in four years.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 12:24:30 AM »

he's just keeping his options open...
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 12:43:47 AM »

"Governor and Mrs. Bobby Jindal?" Are they trying to make women not vote for him?
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 03:19:02 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2008, 03:21:04 AM by auburntiger »

I'm all for Jindal, but he needs to complete his first term as governor with complete focus on that...not for the white house...Louisiana holds its elections 2007, 2011, 2015, and so on. I'm guessing he's limited to two terms like everyone else does (except VA). I'd say he'd need to be a 2016 candidate at the earliest. I mean Good lord, the man's only 37 right now. In 2016, He'd still be younger than Obama is now. People, people, save Jindal for a good good year when we can wipe the floor.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:19:25 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if he ran in 2012, but then again I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow managed to win the Republican nomination in 2012 that he would be annihilated by President Obama. This coming from a person who believes that Obama won't have a successful first term (I should really stop using that shouldn't I?). If the Republicans are to nominate anyone electable in 2012 its neither Governor's Palin nor Jindal.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 05:16:02 AM »

So, what, he's going to turn down the chance to run for reelection in order to run for president?  Doesn't make much sense.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 11:00:27 PM »

*wonders what anti-Indian racist insinuations would look like*
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 11:31:06 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2008, 10:02:10 AM by Frodo »

he needs to complete his first term as governor with complete focus on that...not for the white house...Louisiana holds its elections 2007, 2011, 2015, and so on. I'm guessing he's limited to two terms like everyone else does (except VA). I'd say he'd need to be a 2016 candidate at the earliest. I mean Good lord, the man's only 37 right now. In 2016, He'd still be younger than Obama is now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 11:39:33 PM »

lol.. If Jindal runs in 2012 the democrats can unamerican his ass.  Time to use the Gops playbook against them.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 07:34:01 AM »

Mrs. Bobby Jindal? Are we still in the 1940s?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 08:48:16 PM »

I like Jindal, but he's too far right for my tastes. I think he could win the nomination if the GOP sees nominated a moderate as the reason for losing this time around. He certainly is as right as you can get.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 12:10:48 AM »

As someone who thinks Sarah Palin was grossly underdone when she made her debut 2 months ago. Jindal running in 2012 would be the same way. He doesn't need to set an age record and the 4 years from 2011 to 2015 would gice him just that more experience. I tend to agree that he is too far right to win and thats coming from a very conservative person. He would have to run against a very weak Obama in 2012 to win or Biden trying succed an Obama with a 25% approval rating.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 01:12:26 AM »

As someone who thinks Sarah Palin was grossly underdone when she made her debut 2 months ago. Jindal running in 2012 would be the same way. He doesn't need to set an age record and the 4 years from 2011 to 2015 would gice him just that more experience. I tend to agree that he is too far right to win and thats coming from a very conservative person. He would have to run against a very weak Obama in 2012 to win or Biden trying succed an Obama with a 25% approval rating.

Jindal not being white I would make a issue in 2012 if iam running the democrats campaign, and if the gop whines then remind them of 2008.

What goes around comes around.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 01:44:11 AM »

Jindal not being white I would make a issue in 2012 if iam running the democrats campaign, and if the gop whines then remind them of 2008.

What goes around comes around.

LOL

Obama is the only one telling everyone he isn't white. But if you can prove me otherwise, go ahead.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 03:50:17 AM »

they'd probably revolve around him being a secret Hindu, for one. However, I gauruntee you somebody would make a not-so-subtly racist ad about the outsourcing of jobs to India that would occur under a Jindal administration.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 06:22:38 AM »

they'd probably revolve around him being a secret Hindu, for one. However, I gauruntee you somebody would make a not-so-subtly racist ad about the outsourcing of jobs to India that would occur under a Jindal administration.

An Obama staffer actually tried to do that to Clinton.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 12:59:42 PM »

If Obama looks beatable and he sees an oppurtunity, then I can see Jindal not running for a second term as Governor to instead run for President.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »

If Obama looks beatable and he sees an oppurtunity, then I can see Jindal not running for a second term as Governor to instead run for President.

Jindal should wait, he'd only be 41 in 2012.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 04:59:16 PM »

I'm torn on how I feel about that.  Becoming a governor at his age is rare in itself, so making the national scene at a young age seems to go along with that.  Experience is experience.

I agree two terms obviously would do more for him, but it's all about timing.  If Obama seems beatable, he might have to go for it while he can.  If another Republican wins in '12, he'd have to wait until 2020 to run, 5 years after his term as governor would end.  What could he do in that time? Do you think he'd have a chance at going for Mary Landrieu's Senate seat in 2016?

Congressman--> 2 term governor --> Senator --> President.  That might be the path for him.

He's getting buzz in Republican circles the same way Obama was over these last few years. If he was able to make his convention speech it would have been even more buzz.  I could see him wanting to strike the iron while it's hot. If he loses, he could just try over and over to start a conservative movement in the same way Reagan ran in the primaries so many times and gained a following over the years.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 06:30:37 PM »

I say, he is too inexperienced, but he would make a great VP. Huckabee too is (apparently) laying the groundwork for 2012, and he should be the nominee actually.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 01:09:03 AM »

Wouldn't Jindal, by 2012, have more experience than Huckabee and far more experience than Obama?
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 01:10:45 AM »

Wouldn't Jindal, by 2012, have more experience than Huckabee and far more experience than Obama?

He would have more experience than Obama, but not more than Huckabee.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 04:36:28 PM »

That could work, like Reagan. But unlike Reagan, I doubt there will be a democrat backlash. Hopefully. I cannot predict the future. Jindal should wait till, let's say 2020.
Congressman-Governor-Senator-President

He is a little too Far-Right for me. Kind of like Obama was too Far-left for me.
But Palin, *shiver* through me into Hopeland. Palin shouldn't have taken the Veep. She should have waited also. Damaged Goods.

BOB DOLE NEEDS COMPANY!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies