1968: RFK/Gore vs. Nixon/Agnew
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:13:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: RFK/Gore vs. Nixon/Agnew
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968: RFK/Gore vs. Nixon/Agnew  (Read 1631 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »

Democrats:

Sen. Robert Kennedy
Sen. Albert Gore, Sr.

Republicans

VP. Richard Nixon
Gov. Spiro Agnew
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 07:05:20 PM »

how does Kennedy win the nomination? what goes on at the convention?

Humphrey is assassinated instead. McCarthy dies of a stroke.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 07:47:43 PM »

something that I have learned on this forum, there needs to be more ground than that. you will be dogged with criticism for that.

how does Humphrey get assassinated? why does he get assassinated? how does it happen?

why does McCarthy die of a stroke? how does that happen?

and how does Kennedy still win the nomination? in this scenario, Johnson could have taken back his earlier proclamation that he would not run again and he could have announced at the convention and been renominated. he hated Kennedy. what do you say about that?

Humphrey is assassinated while traveling to the convention, by a madman named SR Sidarth. where he was favored to be nominated. McCarthy dies of a rumored stroke. There is never a diagnosis due to he was alone when it happened. He was missing for 6 days, after leaving the campaign trail for a couple days to spend a weekend in the Big Sky Country. He died while hiking, apparently. LBJ does not go back on his word, Due to the public's love for the Kennedys. Although he tries to convince the delegates to nominate someone else. He doesn't campaign for Kennedy. Good enough? I cannot explain anything more about McCarthy, sorry.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2008, 02:11:13 PM by Romney/Graham 2012 »

I will not burden the author of this scenario with needless questions.

I will simply give an answer.

Nixon defeats the arrogant upstart junior Senator from New York.

Nixon/Agnew                     280
Kennedy/Gore                   258

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 09:12:15 PM »

something that I have learned on this forum, there needs to be more ground than that. you will be dogged with criticism for that.

how does Humphrey get assassinated? why does he get assassinated? how does it happen?

why does McCarthy die of a stroke? how does that happen?

and how does Kennedy still win the nomination? in this scenario, Johnson could have taken back his earlier proclamation that he would not run again and he could have announced at the convention and been renominated. he hated Kennedy. what do you say about that?

Humphrey is assassinated while traveling to the convention, by a madman named SR Sidarth. where he was favored to be nominated. McCarthy dies of a rumored stroke. There is never a diagnosis due to he was alone when it happened. He was missing for 6 days, after leaving the campaign trail for a couple days to spend a weekend in the Big Sky Country. He died while hiking, apparently. LBJ does not go back on his word, Due to the public's love for the Kennedys. Although he tries to convince the delegates to nominate someone else. He doesn't campaign for Kennedy. Good enough? I cannot explain anything more about McCarthy, sorry.
this is good.

I did not need the explaining, this was for your sake.

thank you.
bhouston79
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 10:41:37 AM »

RFK/Gore win handily.  Here are the results:

Electoral Vote
RFK        341
Nixon     152
Wallace   45

Popular Vote

RFK         45%
Nixon      40%
Wallace  14%
Other       1%
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 11:08:10 AM »

RFK victory, 272-189-77:
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 02:08:57 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2008, 02:16:49 PM by Romney/Graham 2012 »

I will not burden the author of this scenario with needless questions.

I will simply give an answer.

Nixon defeats the arrogant upstart junior Senator from New York.

Nixon/Agnew                     280
Kennedy/Gore                   258

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's another likely outcome.

Nixon carries his home state of California, and Kennedy carries Illinois.

Nixon still defeats the over rated, under qualified, upstart junior Senator from New York, who believes the Kennedy's have a divine right to the Presidency.

Nixon/Agnew                294
Kennedy/Gore              244

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 09:02:36 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2008, 09:10:21 PM by Robert Childan »

Robert F. Kennedy/Albert A. Gore (D): 277 EV
Richard M. Nixon/Spiro T. Agnew (R): 184 EV
George C. Wallace/Curtis E. LeMay (AI): 77 EV

Senator Robert Francis Kennedy of New York narrowly defeats former Vice President Richard Nixon to succeed Lyndon B. Johnson as 37th President of the United States. My prediction for such a Kennedy/Nixon/Wallace match up is similar that to the RL 1968 one, however both the Democratic and American Independent parties, led by Senator Kennedy and Governor Wallace respectively perform much better.

I'm not sure why Senator Kennedy, had he indeed won the Democratic Nomination in 1968 would have selected a fellow liberal, alas Senator Albert Gore of Tennessee as his running mate. If anything, Senator Kennedy would have selected a status quo candidate, along the lines of Senator Ed Muskie of Maine, that the party bosses would have preferred.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »

Robert F. Kennedy/Albert A. Gore (D): 277 EV
Richard M. Nixon/Spiro T. Agnew (R): 184 EV
George C. Wallace/Curtis E. LeMay (AI): 77 EV

Senator Robert Francis Kennedy of New York narrowly defeats former Vice President Richard Nixon to succeed Lyndon B. Johnson as 37th President of the United States. My prediction for such a Kennedy/Nixon/Wallace match up is similar that to the RL 1968 one, however both the Democratic and American Independent parties, led by Senator Kennedy and Governor Wallace respectively perform much better.

I'm not sure why Senator Kennedy, had he indeed won the Democratic Nomination in 1968 would have selected a fellow liberal, alas Senator Albert Gore of Tennessee as his running mate. If anything, Senator Kennedy would have selected a status quo candidate, along the lines of Senator Ed Muskie of Maine, that the party bosses would have preferred.

I considered Muskie, but I liked the idea of Gore better.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies