When was Bush's Thermidor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:15:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When was Bush's Thermidor?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: When was Bush's Thermidor?  (Read 1812 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 02:54:25 PM »

I'm going to go on a limb here and say that Ronald Reagan's death had as much to do symbolically with Bush's descent into the depths of unpopularity (at least among his own base) as anything else. While Reagan was alive, the Republican President could prop him up on a stick and rally a diverse coalition of competing interest groups around his memory. With Reagan out of the way, and Bush II taking up the mantle of senior-most Republican, it became much more difficult almost instantly for him to have that same effect.

With the greater populace, of course, it's different: either Katrina or Abu Ghraib might have done the trick.

Abu Ghraib, I think, meant much more to foreigners than it did to most Americans.
He lost the world beyond America's borders the day he set up the Gitmo Concentration Camp.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 11:13:12 AM »

I'm going to go on a limb here and say that Ronald Reagan's death had as much to do symbolically with Bush's descent into the depths of unpopularity (at least among his own base) as anything else. While Reagan was alive, the Republican President could prop him up on a stick and rally a diverse coalition of competing interest groups around his memory. With Reagan out of the way, and Bush II taking up the mantle of senior-most Republican, it became much more difficult almost instantly for him to have that same effect.

With the greater populace, of course, it's different: either Katrina or Abu Ghraib might have done the trick.

Abu Ghraib, I think, meant much more to foreigners than it did to most Americans.
He lost the world beyond America's borders the day he set up the Gitmo Concentration Camp.

Now I wasn't in Germany in 2001/2002....but I always thought that Gitmo only became unpopular around the time of the Iraq War. Was it viewed negatively from the very beginning?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 04:28:10 PM »

I think the slide started with Terri Schiavo.  That never really was a federal issue and Bush spent political capital to make it one.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies