Bush & Dole democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:54:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bush & Dole democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush & Dole democrats  (Read 2162 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2008, 02:45:20 AM »

How the HELL did Bush and Dole get double digits ANYWHERE in 92 and 96? After Clinton bent over backwards campaigning as a centrist it was all for nothing? There is no reason, in a three way contest for a republican to be pulling 20% of democrats ANYWHERE!!! My god, in some of these states Clinton only got HALF of democrats in 92!
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 02:51:30 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2008, 02:55:32 AM by Stranger in a strange land »

Party ID doesn't mean much in terms of ideology, or voting behavior really, in the Upper South and Appalachia. Yeah, I don't get why they don't switch parties either. If you never vote for your party's candidate at the federal level, you should declare as an independent.

The nature of the Democratic Party is part of it also. Unlike the Republicans, who are organized around a semi-coherent ideology, the Democrats are a coalition of diverse groups who have different, and sometimes contradictory, interests and goals.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 07:28:15 PM »

true...
Jeff from NC
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 04:33:08 PM »

A good chunk of this country's voters will always vote for the pro-life candidate.  Another chunk will always vote for the one that promises a tax cut.  Another chunk will always vote for the pro-gun candidate.  That will usually add up to around 40-45%.  That's why Republicans hit double-digits.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 04:48:51 PM »

If the democrats entirely dropped the gun control blank the GOP's 40-45% of the electorate goes down by 5-10%
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 03:17:55 PM »

Is the pro-life issue really what has destroyed democrats in appalachia? Why not change your voter registration if your going to be an idiot fundamentalist? I think many of these dumb hicks still just associate republicans with the rich and democrats with the poor, and therefore refuse to change their party id, even though they never vote that way.
Jeff from NC
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 06:07:08 PM »

I don't think it's the Upper South/Appalachia (cuz Clinton won there) so much as the Deep South, where Democrats almost never win on any Federal level.

Also, most people aren't so politically active that they change their registrations.  If you could change registration on election day when you cast your ballot, I suspect it'd be much more common.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 11:59:28 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2008, 12:03:15 AM by ShadowOfTheWave »

The upper south is the area I'm talking about, Clinton won very narrowly there and this is the area where democrats have been defecting the most to the republicans. 

The religious zealots are very disturbing to me. If I hadn't been forced to spend 11 years in a fundamentalist school I never would have believed that there were that many people that actually voted solely on the anti-abortion issue. The bush worshipping was at a max there too.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 05:54:05 AM »

There are a lot more pro-life Demmycrats out at the local/state level in the South/Midwest... and the pro-choice guys bend over backwards to have it not come up.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 02:49:40 AM »

What I just can't understand is how so many people can vote SOLEY on this issue. It just doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 06:15:05 AM »

What I just can't understand is how so many people can vote SOLEY on this issue. It just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I think a good chunk of the board, and probably a good chunk of the American electorate, agree with you.
Jeff from NC
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 11:32:49 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2008, 11:44:24 AM by Jeff from NC »

Well, I can believe it.  I have two good friends who are extremely intelligent, very worldly, and knowledgeable about the issues.  They are also extremely devout and refuse to vote for a pro-choice candidate.  Between half a million and a million abortions occur every year in the United States.  If you believe each of those represents a homicide, I can see why the issue would be compelling.

EDIT: This Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_United_States#Public_Opinion gives a poll on public opinion conducted in 2003.  Here's the crosstab:

Group Generally available Available, but with stricter
limits than now
Not permitted
Overall 39% 38% 22%
Women 37% 37% 24%
Men 40%40%20%
Democrats 43%35%21%
Republicans 29%41% 28%
Independents 42% 38%18%
Northeasterners 48%31%19%
Midwesterners 34%40%25%
Southerners 33%41%25%
Westerners 43%40%16%
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 04:08:59 PM »

Are you saying that you believe there is actually a large non-fundamentalist pro-life crowd? Sure, there may be some, but I doubt many vote on that issue.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 05:11:32 PM »

There were a good amount of Clinton Republicans or people who indirectly shifted to the D's because of him, finally becoming the current coalition that put Obama in power.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies