Will the GOP ever appeal to Minorities?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:50:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will the GOP ever appeal to Minorities?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Poll
Question: Will the GOP ever appeal to Minorities?
Yes

No

They took R Jobs!!!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: Will the GOP ever appeal to Minorities?  (Read 27958 times)
NOS
Rookie
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 04:08:53 PM »

It will, but a major shift would have to take place.  Check this fact out:
No republican candidate has won the presidency in the last 6 elections while losing blacks by 98% or only winning less then 7%.   
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 06:12:15 PM »

Yes and no. I'll address the 'yes' part since it answers the question. Racism declines so there'' be more potential for populist conservatives like Huckabee to gain black and hispanic votes. Compared to now republicans will start appealing to minorities. This appeal to minorities will have less of a long-term impact than one would think as I'll now address:

No because this is honestly a moot question. The definition of 'white' has been expanded before(Irish, Italians, Jews etc) and will be again. By 2050, America will by 90% 'white' but a large portion(maybe a majority if immigration continues and interracial marriage patterns keep rising expotentially) of them will have Garcia or Gonzales as their last name or have black parents/grandparents.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 07:27:07 PM »

The vast majority of minorites vote Democrat because it is the Democrats who give them affirmative action. Of course those who would want to get a head start by means of race based preferences would never vote for a party that opposes it.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 08:03:18 PM »

The vast majority of minorites vote Democrat because it is the Democrats who give them affirmative action. Of course those who would want to get a head start by means of race based preferences would never vote for a party that opposes it.

You are aware that more and more 3rd/4th generation 'hispanics' check off the white box. Right?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 08:04:55 PM »

You are aware that more and more 3rd/4th generation 'hispanics' check off the white box. Right?

That's because they ARE white and always have been.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 08:20:30 PM »

That's because they ARE white and always have been.

Ssh don't use logic on the leftie types who think that the language of their ancestor's homeland warrants them being put in a seperate group.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 02:11:35 PM »

Lets look at the three groups mentioned :

Blacks, tend to be easily led around by the nose in politics. Won't be changing unless influential people in their community somehow completely do a 180 in their political belief set. Maybe the increasing black middle class will swing conservative but I'm not getting my hopes up on that one.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

They are also very urban, and they tend and rely (like middle-class whites in Suburbia) upon Big Government for transportation (highways or mass transit) and public works to make their lives tolerable -- and education to keep their kids from falling into low-income job categories.

They will have disproportionate influence as elected public officials. Again, they are very urban populations.  Even high incomes give no certainty of any population voting for the Right. Look at Jews, and look at Loudoun County, Virginia (the county with the highest average income in the United States) -- they voted majority-Democratic.   

The GOP is perfectly attuned to an America that no longer exists: a rural country in which most people are more concerned with taxes than with income. The GOP has its best shot among people that prosperity leaves behind, but to do that it would have to do a 180-degree turn on welfare while the Democrats ignore the poor.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 03:37:55 PM »

If the GOP doesn't want to dy, he should appeal to minorities, because you just can't win only with whites. The question is "when will he do so ?", whose answer is the same that "when will the GOP have a minimal chance to win an election ?".
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2009, 02:58:53 PM »

Blacks, tend to be easily led around by the nose in politics.

No, it is you that are easily led around by the nose in politics, worker.

As for the GOP, it shall not make significant inroads into the swarthier communities, since the choice is either/or - you can either be the part of the whites, or the party of the not-whites+the-small-minority-of-whites-who-don't-care-about-race.  In other words I don't see the parties switching positions completely on race.

Neither of the parties you describe are a major party in the United States.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2009, 02:59:34 PM »

The GOP used to gain minority votes when they were the liberal party... African Americans used to vote for the GOP normally, and that only really changed after Roosevelt.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2009, 08:12:49 PM »

I don't see the Republican Party changing anytime soon. They certainly need a new message if they even hope to exist as a political party. And yes, Mike Huckabee did sum it up very well when he said "We can't just be the party of old, angry white men." And it's not just racial minorities that the GOP needs to focus on if they hope to appeal to minorities in the future.

Does anyone else not find it a little sad how in the South, Republicans are for white people and Democrats are for black people? This needs to change for both sides because it's degrading. As for Latinos, if the GOP expects to win them back, they need to stop the xenophobic and anti-immigration talk. We obviously need comprehensive immigration reform, I think we can all agree on that, but deportation and building a wall across the U.S.-Mexican border is not the answer and probably doesn't bode well for the Latino community. Don't forget, though, that Republicans do well among Cuban Americans in South Florida. Asian Americans are similar to Latinos, socially conservative and fiscally liberal, but I don't know why they vote so strongly for Democrats over Republicans. Maybe because a lot of them live in San Francisco? Tongue

It appears as though the gender gap is back as well. Exit polls showed Obama winning 56% of the female vote to 43% for McCain and just narrowly winning men 49-48%. Men, however, are a minority in this country now, so I guess that's one minority group that the GOP can rely upon! Tongue however, if they expect to attract more women to the party, they need to change their message on women's rights, pay equity, gender discrimination, and just blatant sexism.

AGE is another factor that needs to be addressed. There seems to be a growing generational gap between the parties as well. Democrats are getting the youth vote, and Republicans are getting the elderly vote. Why is this? Well, it was solidified by Obama's appeal to young voters but John Kerry also won the youth (18-29) vote as well. As someone who fits into this category, let me offer my analysis on why Democrats get the youth vote. Young America is typically more socially liberal than mainstream America. A large percentage of young adults are pro-choice and more tolerant of homosexuality and diversity in general than our older counterparts (I saw a poll taken in 2005 somewhere that showed that 56% of young adults 18-29 support gay marriage now). At the same time, young voters share the concerns of many other Americans: health care, environment, and education is obviously a big factor with so many more younger Americans going to college nowadays. If the GOP expects to attract the youth vote, my advice would be for them to ditch the hate and bigotry that is spewed from the religious right wing of the party (i.e. "If you kill babies you're going to hell" and "God hates fags" doesn't really resonate well with young people). Oh, and ditch the campus preachers too like Brother Jed who go to college campuses and tell them that fraternity boys are "rapists" and sorority girls are "whores" and black people are "animals" how all colleges propagate the "left-wing liberal agenda." Yeah these messages are not going to make want young America vote Republican anytime soon. Democrats, however, still get a substantial proportion of the elderly vote because of populist issues like Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security.

Speaking of religion (which shouldn't even be a part of politics), the Republicans just need to ditch the religious right wing of their party because they are a shrinking minority. The exit polls showed that McCain only won Protestants. Obama won Catholics, Jews, and all other religious and non-religious groups. Obviously the GOP needs to appeal to more than just WASPs if they expect to be a congregation with open arms Tongue

I would mention sexual orientation but that's a waste of time seeing as how we all know that the LGBT community is never going to vote Republican until they drop their homophobia and intolerance. Although, it is worth mentioning, that McCain got 27% of the LGBT vote in 2008 compared to George W. Bush's 25% in 2004. Maybe McCain's vote against the discriminatory Federal Marriage Amendment twice and calling Jerry Falwell an agent of intolerance is the direction the GOP needs to go if they want to get their share of the gay vote.

These are just my explanations. Right now, Republicans is the party of the majorities and Democrats is the party of the minorities, and until Republicans change their message, I don't see them ever attracting minorities.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009, 08:28:03 PM »

Ever? Of course.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2009, 08:51:25 PM »

Dems have never been for minorities. It's just a sell game.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2009, 02:41:19 PM »

When white people constitute a minority... of course!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 08:51:15 PM »

Lets look at the three groups mentioned :

Blacks, tend to be easily led around by the nose in politics. Won't be changing unless influential people in their community somehow completely do a 180 in their political belief set. Maybe the increasing black middle class will swing conservative but I'm not getting my hopes up on that one.

Hispanics, socially conservative, economically liberal. Basically populists and this election cycle favored the E liberal side of things. They are more prone to becoming conservative as they age.

Asians, to small of a percentage in the US to have any significant impact any time soon.

All in all I think the GOP can certainly make inroads inside the Hispanic community if the Democrats become to liberal. I really think this could be a swing group in the US, pretty much in line with US whites. The other two groups are largely irrelevant politically, sad but true.

It's of interest to observe the limited command of English exhibited by some of the anglo posters here Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009, 08:53:43 PM »

So why don't you respond to the points addressed instead of attacking my typing? And btw, nothing is grammatically wrong with that post.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 08:56:22 PM »

So why don't you respond to the points addressed instead of attacking my typing?

I would never attack one's typing Smiley I only commented on your command of English, which is not the same thing, methinks Smiley

As for the substance: I can easily see the Hispanics voting Republican in a not-too-distant future. However, you'd likely leave that party before that happens Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 08:57:47 PM »

My command of the English language is just fine. Point out the problems if you want to teacher. And again you are assuming I have a great dislike of Hispanics, which of course if you actually knew my stances you'd know is completely ignorant. Smiley
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 10:59:52 PM »

Will the GOP ever appeal to minorities?

No, unless you count the Jews in Kiryas Joel.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 02:21:22 AM »

In 40-50 years the idea of minorities will be going extinct and I would assume things would be based mostly on class lines and some issues we have no idea on. I have the feeling the GOP will start to pick up lots of Asian support 10 or 20 years from now as they will more likely will moderate, while the Democrats move to the left. I think asians demographically will also become much more of elites and suburban types as opposed to what they are now.
Latinos will come next but I think they will always lean towards the Democrats to an extent. Family values to a latino is very different that family values to a gringo and I don't think most people grasp that. I see Latinos still trending towards the Democrats for the next 10 years and then sliding back as they become more suburban and immigration patterns shift.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2009, 06:22:41 PM »

My command of the English language is just fine. Point out the problems if you want to teacher. And again you are assuming I have a great dislike of Hispanics, which of course if you actually knew my stances you'd know is completely ignorant. Smiley

No, I don't assume that Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2009, 06:24:31 PM »

In 40-50 years the idea of minorities will be going extinct

Are you saying they will be hating cyclists instead?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2009, 06:28:19 PM »

Yes
Soon, very soon.
One day, Republicans will be a heavy majority. Americans will hopefully relize that we are the best party to keep America from tanking, before it's too late.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2009, 10:06:53 PM »

In 40-50 years the idea of minorities will be going extinct

Are you saying they will be hating cyclists instead?
Yeah cyclists are a menace to society.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2009, 11:13:08 PM »

extinct?

In other countries there can be partially integrated minorities for millennia that are still massacred in bloodbaths when times are tonight. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies