2008 Pres. Results of the fastest-growing county in each state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:23:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2008 Pres. Results of the fastest-growing county in each state
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2008 Pres. Results of the fastest-growing county in each state  (Read 13059 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:59:43 PM »
« edited: November 25, 2008, 10:07:38 PM by nclib »

and others such as densest, wealthiest, etc...

Feel free to make these maps. It will be interesting to see the contrast from 2004. Here is 2004's thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=56798.0

This is for fastest-growing county in each state:

Image Link

Somewhat depressing, but a significant improvement over 2004.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 05:44:51 PM »

America's fastest-growing counties' growth rates make me go

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 05:56:48 PM »

Once again the Republican wins handily, though it's funny to see random splotches of red among all the blue. It's also funny that the Northeast is mostly red just because McCain won hardly any counties out there (especially up in New England).
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 06:33:33 PM »

except that the reason these counties are the fastest growing is because of people moving into them from the nearby large cities rather then high birthrates though suburban areas do tend to have higher birthrates then urban areas.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 07:59:44 AM »

except that the reason these counties are the fastest growing is because of people moving into them from the nearby large cities rather then high birthrates though suburban areas do tend to have higher birthrates then urban areas.
I know. I was just looking for the best recent thread to post the image in. Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 03:19:15 PM »

Once again the Republican wins handily, though it's funny to see random splotches of red among all the blue. It's also funny that the Northeast is mostly red just because McCain won hardly any counties out there (especially up in New England).

In fact, the only county in New England McCain won is losing population (Piscataquis).

And it would be much less depressing for the Democrats if they looked at how the fastest growing counties swung (or trended) in each state.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 03:59:06 PM »

Results of the county with highest population density in each state:
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 04:48:36 PM »

Feel free to make these maps. It will be interesting to see the contrast from 2004. Here is 2004's thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=56798.0

Image Link

What's the fastest growing county in California? Is it one of those Sac burb counties?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 04:53:56 PM »

Image Link

What's the fastest growing county in California? Is it one of those Sac burb counties?

Yes; Placer.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 05:40:38 PM »

Image Link

Yes; Placer.

Placer feels like a lot like Utah.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 05:49:24 PM »

Image Link

Yes; Placer.

Well....its not really that mormon. It's more like nice suburbia for a decent price. Factor in that the surrounding area is the central valley, and you have an economic and socially conservative area. Places like these are moderate compared to what lies outside Fresno and especially Bakersfield. But I guess Bakersfield is just a special kind of torture isn't it?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 05:54:09 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2008, 06:07:28 PM by phknrocket1k »

Image Link

Yes; Placer.

Well....its not really that mormon. It's more like nice suburbia for a decent price. Factor in that the surrounding area is the central valley, and you have an economic and socially conservative area. Places like these are moderate compared to what lies outside Fresno and especially Bakersfield. But I guess Bakersfield is just a special kind of torture isn't it?

Bakersfield is basically Oklahoma West, Fresno is basically Indiana with Hispanics.

Tulare is a rough mixture of Fresno and Bakersfield with a far higher poverty rate.

I imagine Placer to be something like Provo-lite.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 06:30:01 PM »

Why Provo-lite? I don't really see the similarities.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »

Why Provo-lite? I don't really see the similarities.

Its Mormon-majority (only one of two CA counties to be so, the other is either Alpine or Mono), its relatively nice suburbia for a decent place and is socially, economically conservative.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 07:36:19 PM »

Placer may be Mormon plurality, but I highly doubt any Cali county is majority.  Calling Placer "Provo-lite" because it's plurality Mormon is kind of like calling San Francisco "Soddom-lite."
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 10:37:33 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2008, 10:39:44 PM by Verily »

My second cousins and their families live in Roseville, so I've been to Placer before, at least the inner parts. It's very, very much suburban sprawl of the worst sort around there, but it's not really ugly or unpleasant. Just inefficient and difficult to get around.

Anyway, according to ARDA, Placer has a substantial Catholic plurality with Mormonism a distant second: http://www.thearda.com/mapsReports/reports/counties/06061_2000.asp

I could see Auburn and the eastern areas of the county being plurality Mormon, but the growth is all in the Sacramento suburbs and exurbs (although Auburn is now exurban Sacramento), where the new residents are mostly Catholics, evangelical Protestants or non-religious.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »

I would guess evangelicals are what cause the place to be conservative rather than mormonism. It is similar to most of the central valley really, but it gave a nice swing to Obama. That wasn't surprising considering how well Obama did in urban areas.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 11:17:04 PM »

Placer's boring suburbia. Been there quite a few times.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 11:24:12 PM »

Gotta say its worthless. It also causes horrible traffic problems on the 80 thus slowing down my trips to the mountains. Damn you suburbia!!!
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 11:52:45 PM »

i assume you got your fastest growing counties from quickfacts thing at the census bureau website? those are the 2006 numbers the 2007 numbers have riverside beating placer out by 0.2% allthough the quickfacts numbers don't match up with the estimates for 2006 in the estimates section that I'm looking at so maybe one of them are more revised numbers.
and for reference to where I'm talking about http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 12:05:45 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2008, 12:17:58 AM by nclib »

i assume you got your fastest growing counties from quickfacts thing at the census bureau website? those are the 2006 numbers the 2007 numbers have riverside beating placer out by 0.2% allthough the quickfacts numbers don't match up with the estimates for 2006 in the estimates section that I'm looking at so maybe one of them are more revised numbers.
and for reference to where I'm talking about http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/

I used that link for states whose fastest growing county was in the top national 100 (which is all they had), but for the rest, I used quickfacts, though unless two counties have very similar growth rates, the 2006 numbers should be accurate for 2007. The only state I am unsure of is RI, where it would either be D >60% or D >50%.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 01:18:28 AM »

Gotta say its worthless. It also causes horrible traffic problems on the 80 thus slowing down my trips to the mountains. Damn you suburbia!!!

It looks nice coming down from the mountains in the evening, though.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 01:05:37 AM »

Wealthiest (using old data, but prob. hasn't changed much--if someone can post more recent data, I'll update the map)

Image Link

red = more Dem than state avg.
blue = more Rep than state avg.

Image Link
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 01:13:41 AM »

Image Link

It's only depressing if they're all trending Republican.

Also, low-population and geographically large counties find it easier to grow rapidly percentage-wide.  The Democrats could be racking up millions in the big cities, but if some of those counties are growing from 18 people to 25 people...
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 05:27:24 PM »

Also, low-population and geographically large counties find it easier to grow rapidly percentage-wide.  The Democrats could be racking up millions in the big cities, but if some of those counties are growing from 18 people to 25 people...

Yeah, it might be good to map the county in each state with the highest numerical growth, if anyone has access to that data.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies