Pennsylvania Governor 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:05:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania Governor 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Author Topic: Pennsylvania Governor 2010  (Read 63378 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2008, 01:53:05 PM »

Shocker of the race - Corbett camp trying to persuade former foe Bruce Castor to "run with" Corbett in 2010 as his Lt. Gubernatorial candidate.

http://www.kyw1060.com/-i-Analysis---i--Pa--Republicans-Running-for-Gover/3562306

I really can't believe this. Councilman Rizzo (son of the legendary late Mayor) is also being asked to run. That would be very interesting as well but the idea of Corbett and Castor together is very surprising considering their history. It would be an amazingly strong ticket though.

Bruce Castor, the man who let Bill Cosby walk the streets again?   
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2008, 02:14:11 PM »

Shocker of the race - Corbett camp trying to persuade former foe Bruce Castor to "run with" Corbett in 2010 as his Lt. Gubernatorial candidate.

http://www.kyw1060.com/-i-Analysis---i--Pa--Republicans-Running-for-Gover/3562306

I really can't believe this. Councilman Rizzo (son of the legendary late Mayor) is also being asked to run. That would be very interesting as well but the idea of Corbett and Castor together is very surprising considering their history. It would be an amazingly strong ticket though.

Yes, that one. Tongue  He was very popular as DA and I'm sure just as popular as a County Commissioner.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2008, 02:57:08 PM »

Yes, that one. Tongue  He was very popular as DA and I'm sure just as popular as a County Commissioner.

What are the chances Castor agrees? I mean there is quite a history between them.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2008, 11:21:13 PM »

What are the chances Castor agrees? I mean there is quite a history between them.

That's the problem. I don't know how much he still dislikes Corbett but he's probably loving this. If I was Corbett, I'd be begging Castor. That would be one hell of a ticket. Plus, Castor wasn't too thrilled with running for Commissioner. He liked DA and had a good gig there. He ran to help the county party only to be screwed by Jim Matthews. I bet he wants out of that since Matthews and Hoeffel aim to screw him over all the time. Castor would then be able to make a name for himself statewide. Who knows...he could be a Senatorial candidate in 2012 or 2016 or maybe even Governor in 2014 or 2018. He's still young and this only helps. He's not getting much out of being a marginalized Commissioner.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 06:28:50 PM »

Castor would be ideal, if he's willing.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2008, 11:40:13 PM »

Not only is he willing...

A friend of mine who knows Castor confirmed tonight that he is indeed running for Lt. Governor. This is amazing. If anyone had suggested Corbett - Castor four years ago, it wouldn't even be treated as a joke. It would be beyond fantasy. It would have been seen as a very cruel suggestion.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2008, 02:16:01 AM »

*rubs forehead* Well....damn. I'm not gonna really evaluate the odds on this race till I see some clearing on the Dem side, but ouch, man, ouch. I think we're in trouble here...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2008, 02:37:59 AM »

A friend of mine who knows Castor confirmed tonight that he is indeed running for Lt. Governor. This is amazing. If anyone had suggested Corbett - Castor four years ago, it wouldn't even be treated as a joke. It would be beyond fantasy. It would have been seen as a very cruel suggestion.

They put their personal conflicts on the side for the sake of their party in Pennsylvania.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2008, 02:42:19 AM »

Isn't that the sort of thing you keep on the D-L?

When I gots internal polls of early voting and inside tips I gotta be vague Smiley  Like "McCain won't win Colorado, I'm kinda/extremely certain" or "I know someone who voted in kicking out Lieberman" 

Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2008, 02:48:08 AM »

They put their personal conflicts on the side for the sake of their party in Pennsylvania.

Yes, but we know that that hardly ever happens in politics. This is pretty big. These two really didn't like each other and might still have some serious issues. Castor himself has been talked up as a potential Gubernatorial candidate in the past but I guess he realizes that there's no beating Corbett and if you can't beat him, join him. After all, while he has to play number two to his former arch foe, this does help him big time in the long run. This will set him up as a top tier candidate, frequently courted by the national GOP for the Senate in 2012, 2016 and/or 2018.

Isn't that the sort of thing you keep on the D-L?

Well, no, not really. I brought up the possibility of him running to my friend and she quickly told me that it was definitely happening, as if everyone ought to know by now. It really isn't meant to be on the "D-L" at this point after it was leaked to the press that it might be happening.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2008, 04:19:51 AM »

*rubs forehead* Well....damn. I'm not gonna really evaluate the odds on this race till I see some clearing on the Dem side, but ouch, man, ouch. I think we're in trouble here...

Dems just better put everything possible into holding the state House.  They cannot afford to get rolled in redistricting here again. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »

Dems just better put everything possible into holding the state House.  They cannot afford to get rolled in redistricting here again. 

Right now, with the investigation, and a probable off year backlash against the Democrats (even a very slight one), the PA House is gone.  It's a five seat margin, and factionalized.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2008, 11:17:04 AM »

Right now, with the investigation, and a probable off year backlash against the Democrats (even a very slight one), the PA House is gone.  It's a five seat margin, and factionalized.

Oh wow, that's definitely worrying when someone with such an awesome prediction track record says so!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2008, 12:29:04 PM »

Oh wow, that's definitely worrying when someone with such an awesome prediction track record says so!

You really are a waste of life.

It will be very hard for the Dems to hold the State House and they can forget about getting close in the State Senate.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2008, 02:22:50 PM »

Yep, Corbett-Castor, on paper, would be a very strong tandem, especially in a halfway decent environment.  We'll see whether the eight-year rule of PA holds on.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2008, 02:33:48 PM »

Except in this case, it's post-diction.  The scandal broke last summer.  And guess who just happens to be the AG prosecuting it?  Corbett.

As a bit of irony, I really don't like Corbett too much.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2008, 03:06:05 PM »

Except in this case, it's post-diction.  The scandal broke last summer.  And guess who just happens to be the AG prosecuting it?  Corbett.

As a bit of irony, I really don't like Corbett too much.

But, in fairness, he does at least say that there will be Republicans investigated as well (though the investigation has definitely focused on and hurt the Dems a lot more).
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2008, 03:44:53 PM »

Then why did Democrats pick up seats in 2008?  Also, in this blue state, Democratic House candidates can ask voters to elect them as a check on a likely Republican governor and control of redistricting. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2008, 05:09:56 PM »

Then why did Democrats pick up seats in 2008?  Also, in this blue state, Democratic House candidates can ask voters to elect them as a check on a likely Republican governor and control of redistricting. 

They won't care about redistricting.

The Dems picked up seats in 2008 because, well, it was 2008. You know that. And even then, the had a net gain of two seats. I'm not saying that a takeover is 100% certain but it's definitely in our favor.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2008, 05:22:38 PM »

The Dems picked up seats in 2008 because, well, it was 2008. You know that. And even then, the had a net gain of two seats. I'm not saying that a takeover is 100% certain but it's definitely in our favor.

You also said Republicans would take over the state House in 2008.  The problem for Republicans is that there are more Republican held seats in the increasingly Democratic Southeast than Democratic held seats left in the increasingly Republican Southwest. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2008, 05:24:13 PM »

Probably more than just "our favor."  There is another factor; the caucus has been divided for years.  There is guarantee that it will hold together without some defections.  This was the best environment the Democrats have had in PA since 1990.  It is doiubtful that the political climate will improve in 2010.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2008, 05:27:30 PM »

You also said Republicans would take over the state House in 2008.

Oh, darn. I was off by three seats.  Roll Eyes

It's very hard to call State House races. Hopefully, everyone here will remember that.

And, as J.J. mentions, the State House Dems are quite divided and still have the burden of scandal to carry.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2008, 05:28:55 PM »

It's very hard to call State House races. Hopefully, everyone here will remember that.

And, as J.J. mentions, the State House Dems are quite divided and still have the burden of scandal to carry.

You were CERTAIN that Republicans would net House seats in PA.  I remember it clearly. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2008, 05:30:55 PM »

You were CERTAIN that Republicans would net House seats in PA.  I remember it clearly. 

I was not certain. If you remember it so clearly, please find the posts.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2008, 05:49:22 PM »

I was not certain. If you remember it so clearly, please find the posts.

No way I can find it, it would take me way too long.  I do remember you saying it.  I responded by saying that Democrats have a wealth of possible pickups in areas where Republicans still hold a lot of seats where they really should not anymore(Delaware, Bucks, Montgomery and now even Chester) that should be able to offset any Republican gains in the Western part of the state. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies