Obama daughters to attend Sidwell Friends, just like Chelsea Clinton did
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:55:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama daughters to attend Sidwell Friends, just like Chelsea Clinton did
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Obama daughters to attend Sidwell Friends, just like Chelsea Clinton did  (Read 7995 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2008, 01:04:24 AM »

(CNN) – Obama spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter confirms to CNN the Obama daughters will attend Sidwell Friends school in Washington, DC.

"They looked at a lot of great schools but they felt Sidwell fit their best interests," spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter told CNN.

Chelsea Clinton also attended the school when her father was in the White House.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/11/21/obama-daughters-to-attend-sidwell-friends/
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 01:05:04 AM »

A friend of mine goes there.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 01:09:06 AM »

Wait, Chelsea Clinton sent her kids to a private school?

Sorry Tender, I had to cut off everyone else before they went for it!

Obama actually, according to the rumors, inquired into various public schools outside of the district that includes 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.   People were calling some of the better public districts and talking about two girls and asking if they could attend overloaded public schools even though they weren't part of the district (and they cited 1600).

I actually respect Obama a lot more for this decision.   Moreso than I've actually ever respected any other decision he's made.  He's sacrificing his "commitment to public schools" in exchange for a better education for his daughters.  Can anyone else cite a anti-political move Obama has made?  Has he ever sacrificed politically for "the right thing" before?

Anyway, Respek

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 01:51:12 AM »

I remember when Mark Sanford talked about fixing South Carolina's public schools and everyone gave him hell for sending them to private school.

I guess its no big deal. It's only a matter of time until Barack Obama files to change his name to "Bill Clinton."
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 01:53:53 AM »

It's only a matter of time until Barack Obama files to change his name to "Bill Clinton."

Good one :-)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 01:57:00 AM »

I mean, c'mon.  Would any millionaire who loves his children more than politics send his girls to a D.C. public school?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 01:59:54 AM »

hmm... can't say I support this. Our PM sends his kids to a public school, as did our Premier. Actually was in the class of our Premier's son last year in University.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 02:01:17 AM »

Didn't Amy Carter attend a DC public school? I wonder how that experience was, especially in the late 1970s.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 04:22:15 AM »

hmm... can't say I support this. Our PM sends his kids to a public school, as did our Premier. Actually was in the class of our Premier's son last year in University.

Dude, Ottawa public schools are probably a LOT different than D.C. ones
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 07:21:31 AM »

I mean, c'mon.  Would any millionaire who loves his children more than politics send his girls to a D.C. public school?

There was that wonderful line from Hacker's driver in that one Yes Minister episode... can't remember it exactly, but it was something about how public services would be in a better shape if politicians and the like didn't opt out of the state system.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 07:33:32 AM »

The line comes from YPM - When Sir Humphrey is explaining the UK education system - and (to paraphrase) says "which is why we skip all of that educate our children privately"
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 07:48:30 AM »

The line comes from YPM - When Sir Humphrey is explaining the UK education system - and (to paraphrase) says "which is why we skip all of that educate our children privately"

No, that was a different line, though the point (and the target) is the same. Though it works better in an American context than the original one...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 07:52:59 AM »

Disgusting. This and the Hillary Clinton appointment together are more or less enough to go back into normal, do not approve of elected officeholder, mode. Even though I've pretty much liked everything else so far.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 08:01:44 AM »

No, that was a different line, though the point (and the target) is the same. Though it works better in an American context than the original one...

Ahhhhh - well iI've watch  YPM most recently... so that's the one I remember.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 08:08:23 AM »

Yea, it's nice that he can choose such a nice school. Too bad he opposes giving poor people the same oportunity.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 08:17:15 AM »

This is so exciting! One of my dad's best friends teaches there! If Obama is re-elected, he will surely teach them. He had some good stories about Chelsea, so hopefully he'll have some good ones here too. Awesome!
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 09:33:29 AM »

Yeah, I'm sure the Secret Service would love protecting them in a public school.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 10:00:20 AM »

Congratulations, Malia and Sasha.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 10:12:50 AM »

hmm... can't say I support this. Our PM sends his kids to a public school

In Rockcliffe. 'Nuff said.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 10:34:37 AM »

Yea, it's nice that he can choose such a nice school. Too bad he opposes giving poor people the same oportunity.

^^^^^^^^
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 10:40:48 AM »

Wouldn't any man who loves his country give the children of working class Americans the same opportunity that he has?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 11:29:10 AM »

^^^^^^^^

I'm fairly sure Obama is pro-vouchers, first off; but more importantly that isnt the issue at hand.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 11:59:24 AM »

Wouldn't any man who loves his country give the children of working class Americans the same opportunity that he has?

CONGRATULATIONS - you guys don't know the issues.  Obama is a supporter of school vouchers and the Teachers Union was one of the larger anti-Obama, pro-Clinton PACS during the primaries!

Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 12:12:05 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure the Secret Service would love protecting them in a public school.

That's pretty much how I figured it.  This school has already been scouted and secured.   It's a lot harder to do that at an overcrowded public school.

Most people's kids aren't considered a major target for terrorists (be they foreign or domestic).  Presidential kids are something of an exceptional case.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 12:17:25 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2008, 12:20:05 PM by The Stranger »

CONGRATULATIONS - you guys don't know the issues.  Obama is a supporter of school vouchers and the Teachers Union was one of the larger anti-Obama, pro-Clinton PACS during the primaries!

CONGRATULATIONS - you swallowed the Obama propaganda hook, line and sinker.  Obama told a gathering of the American Federation of Teachers on July 13 that "what I do oppose is using public money for private school vouchers. We need to focus on fixing and improving our public schools; not throwing our hands up and walking away from them." .

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies