Predestination

(1/1)

Kaine for Senate '18:
So, what I don't get about predestination, what if a person G-d has selected to be Saved lives a sinful, awful life, while someone He didn't choose lives a moral life.  Can G-d reverse his decision, or will the sinful person be saved, while the moral one is punished?

Also, is there any scriptural basis for predestination?

afleitch:
Quote from: benconstine on November 21, 2008, 05:22:38 PM

So, what I don't get about predestination, what if a person G-d has selected to be Saved lives a sinful, awful life, while someone He didn't choose lives a moral life.  Can G-d reverse his decision, or will the sinful person be saved, while the moral one is punished?

Bono will probably be your go to guy here. I've made my thoughts on the subjects well knows. I consider it to be 'heresy' - and I very rarely use as strong a word of condemnation for a position as that.

Bono:
Quote from: benconstine on November 21, 2008, 05:22:38 PM

Predestination to salvation includes the predestination of means. It doesn't happen that someone can get saved without being born again just because he is predestined to be saved. Rather, the decree of election means that the Holy Spirit will move such a person to regeneration and conversion, that will justify him and enable him to live a good live, even though, of course, its not his good works that save him, but Christ's obedience and sacrifice. Good works are rather a result of God's saving grace.

There is of course a whole wealth of literature on this issue, but a few sample proof-texts are Romans 9:15-21, Ephesians 1:4-8, John 3:16-18 .
A few scriptural passages that deal with the issue you raised and my reply, namely, that the elect are saved unto good works, check Ephesians 2:10. This is what Peter means when he admonishes the Christian reader to make his "calling" and "election" sure (2 Peter 1:10). Bearing the fruit of good works is an indication that God has sown seeds of grace in fertile soil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index