2008: Edwards vs. McCain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:40:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: Edwards vs. McCain
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008: Edwards vs. McCain  (Read 1858 times)
Mint
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2008, 03:14:37 PM »
« edited: November 21, 2008, 03:16:35 PM by Mint »

Suppose that this year Obama decides not to run. In the primaries, Hillary is narrowly beaten by Edwards due in part to liberal resentment over her 'triangulating' (particularly her failure to apologize for Iraq) plus Richardson acting as a spoiler in states like New Mexico and Texas. Meanwhile, the Republican Race proceeds in much the same way it did in OTL. By 2008, the nominees are Edwards and McCain. Assuming the economic meltdown and Edwards sex scandal both hit around the same time as OTL, how would this race look?
dunn

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 03:55:09 PM »

Edwards  49.5 %  281 EV
McCain    49.0%   257 EV
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »

I have a very hard time believing Edwards would lose. Even without my bias.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:13:18 PM »

McCain wins 293-245.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 09:47:37 PM »

My god, I wouldn't be able to support anybody in this scenario. Edwards is such a scumbag, and I'm not talking about the affair or anything. All he has is his charisma, just like Obama. At least Obama is a decent person though.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 11:34:49 PM »

Unless he screws up horribly, McCain will win.  Certainly, I cannot see Edwards getting anywhere near Obama's popular or electoral vote total - if he wins, it'll be close.

Edwards can't pull the "Change" motif quite as well, and doesn't have Obama's aura. He's also a medical malpratice lawyer. And isn't as eloquent as Obama. Without the benefit of more experience. And a slightly lower African American turnout (unless, perhaps, he chooses Obama as a running-mate). He's got a reputation for class warfare.

Hell, in this race, I'd vote for McCain instead of Barr (not that it matters much, I live - despite my avatar - in the People's Republic of Maryland).
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 02:40:02 AM »

Probably something like this and I'll explain why.

It'll be much closer than Obama's win, but Edwards would likely pull it off. The affair scandal hit (way) back before the Democratic convention in August, which not only would give Edwards time to repair his image (perhaps at the convention?) but also provides a key point in time before the stock market started nosediving.

The stock market started barreling downward right in the middle of September. Couple that with McCain's already weak standing on economic issues, Bush, and Edwards having made the economy and poverty his number one issues since December 2006 when he announced his campaign, public opinion would likely rebound. Americans are relatively forgiving about things in politics (Hello 65% approval President Clinton) and not to mention their incredibly short attention span.

Edwards could immediately take charge on the issue he's already perceived as strong on, and accuse McCain of playing politics and not paying attention to the issues when the McCain campaign attempts to push the economic plunge out of the headlines (another component of our short attention span) just like Obama did to McCain with great effect on the issue of foreign policy and "palling around with terrorists."

As I said, it would be closer than Obama's win, Obama did afterall run a flawless campaign. But when we consider Obama's huge win (notwithstanding the fact that he's black, that probably held him back Missouri) and the advantage Democrats have on the economy and various other issues because of the failure of the Bush Administration, it's difficult to imagine an Edwards loss.

To have Edwards lose you would likely have to have the affair break after the beginning of economic collapse, have Edwards pick a mediocre VP, and have McCain pick and amazing VP. But by then you're just being ridiculous.

Edwards win, 289-249.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 06:04:58 AM »

John Edwards (D): 274 EV
John McCain (R): 264 EV

Although I'm giving former Senator Edwards the benefit of the doubt, I think he would be able to pull off a narrow victory over the Republican nominee Senator John McCain of Arizona and become 44th President of the United States in the process. In this scenario, Nevada, New Mexico and West Virginia are are the closest states and all narrowly vote for Edwards.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 12:01:12 AM »

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 06:31:43 PM »

I believe Republican candidates were mostly leading Edwards in polls in 2007, McCain was only trailing Edwards by 2 points in Connecticut, with 5 percent undecided.

McCain win 270-268

Edwards Popular vote win 48.1-47.6
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies