How has your family voted? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:15:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How has your family voted? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How has your family voted?  (Read 55634 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: June 28, 2018, 12:10:59 AM »
« edited: November 04, 2018, 01:36:11 AM by Calthrina950 »

My late mother, before she passed in 2009, was according to my maternal uncle, a staunch Democrat. I remember her strong support for Barack Obama back in 2008; in fact, I was the one who dropped in her ballot at the DMV, a few months or so before the election. I don't know of her voting record before that, but I would assume that she voted straight Democratic in every presidential election that she could vote in (appx. 1980-2008).

My father seems to be a right-leaning independent, and I have heard rumors from someone in my family that he was a Republican at one point. I'm not exactly sure of that, and I know nothing of his voting record before 2012. In 2012, he did vote for Obama, but very reluctantly, and only because my stepmother begged him to. In 2016, however, he voted pretty enthusiastically for Donald Trump, and for some reason continues to support him.

My stepmother is a legal permanent resident from Jamaica, and as such, she cannot vote. However, she is a pretty staunch Democrat, ideologically speaking, absolutely loathes Trump, and wants to get her citizenship sorted out by 2020 so that she can vote against him. If she had been able to vote, she would have gone for Obama in 2012 and Clinton in 2016.

My maternal uncle is a pretty staunch Democrat as well. He never voted prior to 2008, but Obama's candidacy got him more interested. He voted for Obama twice, and for Clinton in 2016. My maternal aunt has no interest in politics whatsoever, and according to my uncle, has never cast a ballot in her life.

My paternal uncle and paternal step-aunt are both staunch Democrats as well, particularly the latter; I remember seeing a photograph of the Obamas and Democratic Party fliers that she had at their house. I don't know about my cousins, but they are generally liberal, and probably vote Democratic.

As for me, I am a definite independent. As I've stated before, I went for Evan McMullin in 2016, and will probably vote third-party again in 2020 unless if the Democratic candidate earns my vote. I've voted for Republicans, Democrats, and independents, for state and local races. In 2016, besides McMullin for President, I voted for Democrat Michael Bennet for Senate, Republicans for the state legislature and State Board of Education, and Libertarian Mike McRedmond for the House of Representatives. This year, I plan on voting for Republicans for state and local races in El Paso County, and Democrats for Governor and the U.S. House. I am currently a tossup on the other statewide races.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 03:46:10 PM »

Dad (became a citizen in 2002, so starting in 2004):
2004: Bush
2008: Obama
2012: Obama
2016: Trump

Mom (has voted all years she's been eligible):
1996: Clinton
2000: Gore
2004: Kerry
2008: Obama
2012: Obama
2016: Clinton

Your father is an Bush-Obama-Trump voter (and voted for Obama twice!). An interesting trajectory, whereas your mother has been a Yellow Dog Democrat.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies