Who did you initially support/think would win?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:50:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Who did you initially support/think would win?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Who did you initially support/think would win?  (Read 7320 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 08:14:04 AM »
« edited: November 15, 2008, 08:16:17 AM by Fmr Gov. Polnut »

I supported Hillary from beginning, until I felt Obama was actually starting to assemble a REAL GE coalition - but I started to lose confidence in him and switched support back to Clinton.

But once it was crystal-clear that Obama was going to be the nominee - I put my support behind him.

...mind you a BIG reason I supported Hillary apart from her qualities (intelligent, tenacious etc etc) - as a counter to the hyper-emotional anti-Hillary movement.

However, I felt whoever the Democratic nominee was would win.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 08:48:01 AM »

Edwards. Then Obama right after.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 08:54:09 AM »

I strongly supported Dr. Paul and voted for him in the primaries. I held out hope that he'd win. Tongue But I thought Mitt Romney would win the nomination. But after a few states had their primaries I quickly learned that Senator McCain would take it. Tongue

In the general election I voted for Senator Obama.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 09:31:56 AM »
« Edited: November 15, 2008, 09:34:57 AM by Mint »

Initially? I was sort of all over the place but mostly just wanted Hillary and Giuliani to lose. I even considered a protest vote for Ron Paul at one point. By the time the actual election came my views had shifted right to the point where I supported McCain based on Iraq and a few other issues.

I was about 70% sure Obama would be President throughout the ordeal although at one point in early September I was thinking McCain might narrowly eek out a win.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 10:26:21 AM »

Supported McCain right after the 2004 election, then switched to George Allen in 2005.  When it actually began to count I created a thread in January 2007 saying how much I wanted Fred Thompson (Cpt. MikeyMike being the other supporter) and I thought he would win if he jumped in the race.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2008, 10:29:17 AM »

Supported McCain right after the 2004 election, then switched to George Allen in 2005.  When it actually began to count I created a thread in January 2007 saying how much I wanted Fred Thompson (Cpt. MikeyMike being the other supporter) and I thought he would win if he jumped in the race.

Excuse me for asking, but weren't you rooting for Ron Paul?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2008, 10:44:04 AM »

DWTL actually loathed Ron Paul until December 2007.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2008, 10:48:05 AM »

I've been supporting McCain since 2000. I had thoughts about voting Guiliani in the primary, but after seeing how he did by the time we came to vote, he was already out of the race and I continued going for McCain.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 11:40:26 AM »

I supported Chris Dodd from the start.  I still love the guy.  But I was pretty sure he had no chance of winning.  Biden was my second choice.  And again, the JSojourner kiss of death.  After that, I was horribly conflicted.  I agreed with Edwards on the issues more than anyone.  But I didn't trust him.  I liked Hillary's experience, but I worried she would be hamstrung as President by the resurrection of Ken Starr or his heir.  So I settled on Obama.  Very early into the primary, I rejected Richardson because he was so inept as a debater and in interviews.  He was a sloppy campaigner.  I never seriously considered Kucinich or Gravel, though my views are probably closer to those of Kucinich than anyone else.

On the Republican side, I wanted McCain to win from the start.  I felt (and still feel) he is head and shoulders above any of the Republicans in the field.  I thought, however, that Huckabee would win the nomination.

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2008, 02:16:23 PM »

SPC is right.  I hated Ron Paul with a passion until December 2007 or so, I really didn't know a lot about him and he just seemed like a someone trying to piss people off rather than accomplish anything.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2008, 03:17:07 PM »

Initially I was a big Edwards supporter (And still love the guy) but after New Hampshire I switched my support to Obama.

Most of the time I was sure Obama could win, though like some other after the initial Sarah Palin buzz (before people found out she was a retarded hillbilly) I was concerned McCain might pull out a win. I had occasional moments of hysteria and worry though, because I think we Democrats are a little too used to losing.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 03:22:41 PM »

I actually didn't think McCain wouldn't win the nomination.  I was considering sitting this one out.

I was not a Hillary fan at this time last year, so I might voted for Romney over her then.  I was undecided between Romney and Obama.  I might have voted for Edwards over Huckabee.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2008, 05:39:53 PM »

I supported McCain on the GOP side from day 1. I'm not sure whether I had a prediction on the Republican side though. I think I expected Guliani to take it for quite some time, but I obviously didn't expect that once the primaries actually rolled around. At that point I think I leaned towards Romney. I didn't dare hope for McCain until after Florida.

On the Democratic side I liked Warner. Then I had a certain fondness for Richardson. But I didn't get too involved there, since I liked McCain better than all of them. I expected Clinton to take it until that February clobbering. I prefered her over Obama, but not by all that much.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2008, 07:10:26 PM »

Obama since 2004- 2005 and I thought maybe he wouldn't make it past IA. Once he did I thought he would win the whole thing.

I thought Rudy would win on the Gop side,however after his stupid ideal of not campaigning in other states I figured McCain would win it.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2008, 07:16:16 PM »

Early on I supported Richardson. After Richardson I waited until a few days before the Washington caucus, and then backed Obama. At the start of the campaign I thought Clinton and McCain would win the nominations.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2008, 09:15:48 PM »

I believe it was John Edwards for me, but thought that it would either be McCain or Edwards building his administration right now.  Of course, there were a BUNCH of changes in who I was supporting and finally ended up on Barack Obama.  I never thought Hillary Clinton would win simply because I thought this country was looking to move past the Clinton/Bush era that we have been in for the past 28 years since George Herbert Walker Bush stepped into the Naval Observatory (Vice President's home) on January 20, 1981.  I believe that, along with the euphoria and phenomena that she was running against, that she was doomed even though she came relatively close and pushed the primaries all the way into June 2008, or as some would suggest all the way to the convention in late August.

I started supporting John Edwards ever since he lost the Vice Presidential race in 2004.  I really liked him as Kerry's running mate and thought he should have been the 2004 nominee and initially thought he was in the best shape going into 2008.
The Populist
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2008, 09:17:22 PM »

Initially I suppored Warner, but when it became clear he wouldn't run, I switched over to Edwards, and after he dropped out, I supported Hillary (I voted for her in the primary); I thought Hillary would win the nomination until after March 4th.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2008, 09:19:19 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2008, 09:24:10 PM by BeccaM »

Hillary up until the primaries started.  Then I had a feeling Obama would win and everything kept falling in to place after that, though I was still pulling for Hill.

Never thought a Republican could pull it off this year, but I've always admired McCain.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2008, 09:23:27 PM »

I always supported Ron Paul; and after Iowa, I seriously thought Obama and Huckabee had a great chance of being the national matchup.  Before that I didn't give it much thought, except that I never really thought Hillary would win the nomination, don't know why, I just didn't think she would.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2008, 09:36:18 PM »

Support overall: Bloomberg
Support in Democratic primary: Biden (then Hillary, in retrospect, Obama over Hillary)
Support in Republican primary: McCain

Think would win overall: Clinton
Think would win in Democratic primary: Clinton
Think would win in Republican primary: moved back forth, I think Romney until Huckasurge and McSurge in December 2007
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2008, 01:37:14 AM »

I voted for Obama in the primary, but I thought Hillary would win the nomination. THANK GOS SHE DID'NT!
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2008, 01:38:27 AM »

*GOD
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2008, 10:54:59 PM »

Undecided for a long time (leaning Giuliani), decided on McCain sometime during November of '07 (before McCain really had a shot).  Voted for McCain in the NY primary.

As for who I thought would win the nomination...this is on record in this forum.  I stayed with the "Giuliani's really the front runner" ship far longer than most people here, figuring that Giuliani's support in the polls actually meant something (and believing that Huckabee posed a larger threat to the Romney candidacy than Giuliani did to his own).  After I jumped the Giuliani ship, I became convinced in late December that Huckabee would win the nomination:

For the first time ever I believe, I'm not voting for Giuliani.

It's now Huckabee's nomination to lose--and barring an insane McCain comeback, he won't lose it.

This was mainly predicated on the assumption that Romney couldn't really come back from an Iowa loss...especially if he also lost in NH...I was really surprised by the Romney win in MI.

After NH, I probably gave McCain the edge, though obviously it wasn't clear until Jan. 29.  One of my more eccentric predictions (mainly for the fun of it) was a Thompson surprise victory in SC...
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2008, 11:06:05 PM »

I supported Rudy until the very end of the Florida Primary, because I thought, for some reason, he could still win Florida. McCain was always my second choice so I jumped to his ship once Rudy dropped out. I always thought Rudy was the only one who could beat Hillary, so I thought it would either be Hillary or Rudy winning the Presidency.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2008, 12:47:56 AM »

I never thought Guiliani would win...c'mon, look at his biography or his social-issue record!

The only thing he has going for him in the GOP primary is his hawkishness, but that doesn't get you past being pro-abortion or having divorced how many people awkwardly?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies