2008: Warner v. McCain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:45:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: Warner v. McCain
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2008: Warner v. McCain  (Read 5629 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2008, 10:13:27 PM »

Republicans:
Senator John McCain (Arizona)
Governor Tim Pawlenty (Minnesota)

Democrats:
Fmr. Governor Mark Warner (Virginia)
Governor Bill Richardson (New Mexico)
The Populist
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »

I think Warner does much worse than Obama, but still wins the election, 298-240:
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 04:26:46 AM »

I think Warner does much worse than Obama, but still wins the election, 298-240:

Flip NH, maybe CO, but probably not.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »

With the economy being such a major issue, Warner's record of managing Virginia, and his business experience, leads him to an even bigger landslide than Obama's.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 06:19:15 PM »

With the economy being such a major issue, Warner's record of managing Virginia, and his business experience, leads him to an even bigger landslide than Obama's.

Flip Nevada, Montana, Nebraska-2, and Indiana and I agree. Though I think Warner might have had a chance in Kentucky and perhaps Tennessee.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 06:23:18 PM »

You have to understand someone's campaign ability versus someone's record.  McCain had a long list of accomplishments in the US senate, but did not project them well to the public.  On the other hand, Obama has campaigned absolutely flawlessly, but has accomplished near to nothing.

You have to understand that Mark Warner would not have had nearly as many grassroots efforts, nor as much charisma as Obama.  He may have a decent record, but if you actually think he would have done as well (or better, as you seem to believe), you are living in a pipe dream.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 09:17:11 PM »

You have to understand someone's campaign ability versus someone's record.  McCain had a long list of accomplishments in the US senate, but did not project them well to the public.  On the other hand, Obama has campaigned absolutely flawlessly, but has accomplished near to nothing.

You have to understand that Mark Warner would not have had nearly as many grassroots efforts, nor as much charisma as Obama.  He may have a decent record, but if you actually think he would have done as well (or better, as you seem to believe), you are living in a pipe dream.
Obama's campaigning ability doesn't have that much to do with the landslide, it has everything to do with the economy.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 09:26:43 PM »

Obama's campaigning ability doesn't have that much to do with the landslide, it has everything to do with the economy.

Obviously, the economy had a lot to do with the presidential outcome, but Obama was very talented in his campaign ability, which allowed him to win over many voters.  I don't think that Mark Warner would have enough grassroots and GOTV motivation to pull out as large of an electoral college victory as Obama.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 09:31:48 PM »

bhouston79
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 12:12:40 AM »

I don't really see the results being too much different.  Indiana,  and NE Cong. Dist. 2 may not have went for the Dems, but those loses would have probably been offset by a win in Missouri.  West Virginia would have been a tossup.  Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas would have been much more competitive, but I doubt that they would have flipped.  Georgia would probably not been as competitive since the Africian American population in that state would not have been nearly as excitited about voting for another White Southern Governor.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 06:09:22 PM »

DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 11:38:10 PM »

Assuming similar economic conditions, Warner 297-241. Take The Populist's map, award West Virginia to McCain and New Hampshire to Warner.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 10:17:21 AM »

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 05:06:57 PM »

Mark R. Warner/William B. Richardson III (D): 314 EV
John S. McCain III/Timothy J. Pawlenty (R): 224 EV

Mark Warner, like Barack Obama manages to defeat John McCain comfortably in the General Election, but his victory is much shorter than Obama's record breaking victory in RL. Warner, unlike Obama picks up Missouri and Arkansas, whilst losing Nevada, Colorado, Indiana, Florida, North Carolina and Nebraska's Second Congressional District.

one thing that we all have to learn about Ben is that anytime Warner is on the democratic ticket, then it is a democratic landslide.

Folks, one thing we all have learnt about Garrison since joining the Atlas Forum in August 2006 is that anytime Ronald Reagan is heading the Republican ticket, in numerous What-If scenarios, such as "No 22th Amendment - Reagan Runs in 1988", it is always a Republican landslide. And when the person in question is criticised, you are labelled a "hack". Food for thought.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 11:57:20 AM »

one thing that we all have to learn about Ben is that anytime Warner is on the democratic ticket, then it is a democratic landslide.

Garrison, all I did was take Obama's victory, and give him Montana, Missouri, Arkansas, and West Virginia.  Hardly unlikely.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 12:19:44 PM »

Garrison, all I did was take Obama's victory, and give him Montana, Missouri, Arkansas, and West Virginia.  Hardly unlikely.
west virgnia would be a stretch for any democrat at this point. Arkansas would also be a stretch except for a Clinton.

and, what I said is true.

No, Garrison, it isn't.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 12:24:55 PM »

west virgnia would be a stretch for any democrat at this point. Arkansas would also be a stretch except for a Clinton.

and, what I said is true.

No, Garrison, it isn't.
it is very true, you can't deny it.

Yes, Garrison, I can.  I just did, as a matter of fact.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 03:39:59 PM »

Fail. Warner isn't charismatic, etc.
Blazers93
Lamrock
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 05:11:27 PM »

Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 03:01:34 AM »

I'm getting very sick of this Warner lovefest. I wonder if some people on this board don't have pictures of him they carry around in their wallets.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 06:53:56 PM »

I'm getting very sick of this Warner lovefest. I wonder if some people on this board don't have pictures of him they carry around in their wallets.

This may shock some people, but I don't have a picture of Warner is my wallet.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 02:49:18 PM »

This is a very interesting scenario, as neither of these candidates are in any way exceptional public speakers. In this day and age, a person has to be a good public speaker to win the White House, so the American people would face an interesting predicament with Governor Warner and Senator McCain squaring off. I would give the win to the governor, however, as I feel he could connect with the Middle Class voter better than Senator McCain. In the end, Warner wins in a walk.

Mark Warner/Bill Richardson (D): 356 EV;53.4% of the PV
John McCain/Tim Pawlenty (R): 182 EV; 46.1% of the PV
Others (Libertarian, Constitution, etc.): 0 EV; 0.5% of the PV

Governor Pawlenty would become the "heir apparent" for the 2012 GOP Pesidential nomination, as he has a more positive Fall Campaign than the media allowed Governor Palin to have. All in all, an interesting scenario. I also would have probably voted for the Democatic Ticket as it seems like the most qualifed ticket since Johnson/Humphrey in 1964.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 01:49:57 AM »

I would not see Warner selecting Richardson. Biden is more like it.

Anyway, he wins in a landslide. Pawlenty would not be able to win his own state.

Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 06:33:28 AM »

In this day and age, a person has to be a good public speaker to win the White House

Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 09:46:39 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies