2012 GOP Primaires - Updated Version
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:44:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 GOP Primaires - Updated Version
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ...
Governor Sarah Palin (AK)

Governor Bobby Jindal (LA)

Fmr. Governor Mitt Romney (MA)

Governor Tim Pawlenty (MN)

Governor Jon Huntsman, Jr. (UT)

Senator John Thune (SD)

Other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: 2012 GOP Primaires - Updated Version  (Read 9070 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 09:52:24 AM »

Abortion, Gay Marriage for sure. That wasn't as big an issue as him just being my guy's opponent.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 12:55:46 PM »

Abortion, Gay Marriage for sure. That wasn't as big an issue as him just being my guy's opponent.

No need to replay this argument again.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 03:55:55 PM »

Gary Johnson
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 11:34:20 PM »

He did not change his position on Gay Marriage and he changed his position on Abortion years ago.  No "flip-flopping", just one admittedly changed position that was old news.  Hardly too much recent "flip-flopping".

Romney presented himself as an anti-tax candidate, even though he raised numerous taxes and "fees" while Governor of MA.

I'm not faulting him for this, mind you. His state was facing a huge budget deficit, and he did what was necessary. But he did distort his record.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 04:42:24 AM »

He did not change his position on Gay Marriage and he changed his position on Abortion years ago.  No "flip-flopping", just one admittedly changed position that was old news.  Hardly too much recent "flip-flopping".
Romney presented himself as an anti-tax candidate, even though he raised numerous taxes and "fees" while Governor of MA.

I'm not faulting him for this, mind you. His state was facing a huge budget deficit, and he did what was necessary. But he did distort his record.

Romney did not distort his record, he presented it honestly.  Why would he appeal to the very conservative Republican Primary electorate with parts of his record they don't like?  It's not distortion if he's not hiding anything.  When asked, he'd clarify completely.  If not, he didn't bring it up.  Kind of like Giuliani not bringing up gay marriage, abortion, or things like that.

Not to mention being a "tax cutter" shouldn't even be a political philosophy.

Alright, then, how about joining the NRA right before he began his 2008 run, even though he had previously represented himself as moderately pro-gun control.

Or federal funding for stem-cell research.

And, oh yeah, he totally did flip-flop on his supports for gay rights. Yes, this was another Senator Romney vs. Governor Romney one, fourteen years old, but it did happen.

No matter how much you love Romney now, that doesn't erase the Romney of the past.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 07:38:23 PM »

Alright, then, how about joining the NRA right before he began his 2008 run, even though he had previously represented himself as moderately pro-gun control.

And, oh yeah, he totally did flip-flop on his supports for gay rights. Yes, this was another Senator Romney vs. Governor Romney one, fourteen years old, but it did happen.

No matter how much you love Romney now, that doesn't erase the Romney of the past.

I've covered all this so many times, you can practically quote any of my posts over the past year to refute these things.  Find one of those, because I'm not about to go do it again.

Romney's "flip-flops" were manufactured by his desperate opponents that knew his record was better than theirs.  The media hates him and loves McCain/Huckabee.  And there you have an unfair representation that leads even politically aware people like us to fall into the deceptive misrepresentation of Romney's views and record.  It was the media that distorted Romney's record, not Romney.

Hey, I'm not saying John McCain or Mike Huckabee "flip-flopped" any less (well, Huckabee didn't "flip-flop" as much as falsely describe himself as "fiscally conservative" and "responsible"), but the assertion that 1994's Mitt Romney and 2008's Mitt Romney were fundementally the same is ludicrous, and everybody knows it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 01:18:06 AM »

Romney's "flip-flops" were manufactured by his desperate opponents that knew his record was better than theirs. 

As I said before, I have no reason to dislike Romney other than these flip flops/general spineless behavior. I praised Romney quite a bit back in 2005; I went in with an open mind. I did my homework and discovered that he is not a guy that I can be proud to support. But you keep telling us that we're "desperate opponents" from the beginning (which makes no sense).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 04:03:01 PM »

I think A Romney-Jindal ticket in 2012 might be the way to go. I would unify the party, excite conservatives while not scaring away moderates. Even if it wouldn't be successsful it would help establish Jindal for a 2016 run barring he doesn't end up like Palin but I think he is more seasoned and smart then Palin despite being younger.

I think if Romney decides not to run I could possibly support Newt, Jindal, or Pence. Maybe even a Gary Johnson type depending on how I am doing in 2012. 
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 06:37:26 PM »

I think A Romney-Jindal ticket in 2012 might be the way to go. I

I subscribe to the Executive/Legislative or Legislative/Executive theory of successful presidential tickets.  So Romney/Pence, Romney/Ryan, Romney/Ensign, or Romney/Thune would sound better to me. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 08:45:43 PM »

I subscribe to the Executive/Legislative or Legislative/Executive theory of successful presidential tickets.  So Romney/Pence, Romney/Ryan, Romney/Ensign, or Romney/Thune would sound better to me. 

Jindal served three years in the House from Jan 2005-Dec 2007 before becoming Governor.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 08:48:12 PM »

Jindal served three years in the House from Jan 2005-Dec 2007 before becoming Governor.

You're right.  I guess Romney/Jindal sounds pretty good to me.
Applezz
applemanmat
Rookie
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2008, 11:03:43 PM »

Everyone says Palin and Jindal are the future of the Republican party. Actually their the "future future" of the party. Their both very young and should serve 2 full terms before running for president, so they can let the older guys in their 60s to make one final run (like Gingrich and Romney). Palin can't run in 2012 because the media will blast her if she runs again in 4 years. She should wait until 2016 or 2020 so everyone will forget the Katie Couric interview.

We need a Republican that can appeal to independents, has economic experience, can energize a crowd, and become more competitive in battleground states. Romney can do all those things. I understand he flip flopped but if the economy is still in a depression and Obama has low approval ratings than Romney is a no brainer. The problem is McCain focused too much on energizing the Republican base, when he should've focused on appealing to independents to actually win the election. As far as Gingrich, he's a traditional republican but can't appeal to independents and can't energize a crowd. If Obama gets America out of a recession than Gingrich will win the nomination (but he'll get destroyed in the general election). Pawlenty is a good young candidate (currently 47) with a lot of experience (will probably serve a 3rd term as Minnesota governor) but I don't know if he can energize a crowd and has a good record on the economy. He'd be a good VP choice considering he's a hard-core conservative who's an evangelical himself.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »

In some other thread I spoke positively about Crist. Let me withdraw that praise. The man is in favor of typical wingnut positions on taxes and social issues just like the rest. Of the above Pawlenty and/or Romney strike me as the least offensive but I don't see myself voting for either even if Obama is terrible.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2008, 01:24:54 PM »

i put down pawlenty since he manages to be more moderate and doesnt raise the red flags romney does
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2008, 01:34:24 PM »

True, although I find Romney's position on healthcare to be better than his (i.e. nothing).
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2008, 04:06:45 AM »

I've covered all this so many times, you can practically quote any of my posts over the past year to refute these things.  Find one of those, because I'm not about to go do it again.

Romney's "flip-flops" were manufactured by his desperate opponents that knew his record was better than theirs.  The media hates him and loves McCain/Huckabee.  And there you have an unfair representation that leads even politically aware people like us to fall into the deceptive misrepresentation of Romney's views and record.  It was the media that distorted Romney's record, not Romney.

Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2008, 04:21:11 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Mitt really sticks to his guns.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2008, 03:38:04 AM »

Romney.  It won't be Thune, I can promise that (that's what I said about McCain Tongue)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2008, 03:46:02 PM »

WHAT?Huh How could you forget Mike Huckabee??
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2008, 03:54:01 PM »

In some other thread I spoke positively about Crist. Let me withdraw that praise. The man is in favor of typical wingnut positions on taxes and social issues just like the rest. Of the above Pawlenty and/or Romney strike me as the least offensive but I don't see myself voting for either even if Obama is terrible.

Yet, you supported John McCain?  Crist is as close to McCain as you're gonna get, in my opinion.

You'll learn quickly that many people on this board (myself included) do not take Mike Huckabee or Sarah Palin very seriously.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2008, 03:58:06 PM »

Yet, you supported John McCain?  Crist is as close to McCain as you're gonna get, in my opinion.

You'll learn quickly that many people on this board (myself included) do not take Mike Huckabee or Sarah Palin very seriously.

That cannot be the reason. First, just because YOU dislike Huckabee does not mean that he will not be the nominee. Second, Palin WAS included in the poll.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2008, 04:03:07 PM »

I voted for Jindal, but I have a feeling Mitt will be our guy in 2012...and quite formidable.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2008, 04:11:36 PM »

I voted for Jindal, but I have a feeling Mitt will be our guy in 2012...and quite formidable.

I can't say if he will be your nominee, but I have to agree -- Romney will be far more formidable in 2012.  He is four long years removed from a primary where his flip flops on social issues were derided by Republicans...and he will have had four years to solidify his social conservative credentials.  Mormonism might actually be a help to him this time around, presuming Evangelicals and conservative Catholics cannot find an equally formidable alternative of their own.

If Romney is serious about his social conservatism (enough to pacify that wing of the party), his credentials on economic issues and his willingness to let government spend money on proven programs...while opposing helter-skelter spending...will be a huge boon to his campaign.

The question is, what does he do for four years?  Run for Senate?  Run again for Governor?  Move to another state and run?  Get a talk show?  He needs to keep himself in the national spotlight as much as possible.  That's clearly what Mike Huckabee is trying to do, speaking of another guy without an office.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2008, 05:44:42 PM »

The question is, what does he do for four years?  Run for Senate?  Run again for Governor?  Move to another state and run?  Get a talk show?  He needs to keep himself in the national spotlight as much as possible.  That's clearly what Mike Huckabee is trying to do, speaking of another guy without an office.

The 2012 primary campaign will begin in two years, not four.  Remember that virtually all of the 2008 candidates announced between December 2006 and February 2007.  The first debates were in April and May of 2007.  So, if Romney is planning to run for president in 2012, there's really no time (and no need, to be honest) for him to run for some other office in the interim.  Most Americans have no clue who represents other states in the senate or in governorships anyway, so I'm unclear as to how Romney will be any less in the "national spotlight" than, say, Tim Pawlenty, even though the latter is currently in political office while the former isn't.

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2008, 04:21:52 PM »

The 2012 primary campaign will begin in two years, not four.  Remember that virtually all of the 2008 candidates announced between December 2006 and February 2007.  The first debates were in April and May of 2007.  So, if Romney is planning to run for president in 2012, there's really no time (and no need, to be honest) for him to run for some other office in the interim.  Most Americans have no clue who represents other states in the senate or in governorships anyway, so I'm unclear as to how Romney will be any less in the "national spotlight" than, say, Tim Pawlenty, even though the latter is currently in political office while the former isn't.

True enough, Mord.  I don't WANT it to be true -- cause as much as I love the primary season and all the armchair speculation -- I also like a three year break.  But you're right.  The "running" begins in earnest at least two years out now.  And even now, pundits are keeping a trained eye on who shows up in New Hampshire and Iowa to eat rubber chicken.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies