Discuss with maps!: County map requests for 2008 election results (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:21:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Discuss with maps!: County map requests for 2008 election results (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Discuss with maps!: County map requests for 2008 election results  (Read 101935 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: November 14, 2008, 09:07:52 PM »

Alameda county would be really cool.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 12:40:26 PM »

It's a lot like south OC actually. It has a wealthy population, high number of whites and lots of high paying jobs around. Kerry absolutely got destroyed in Santa clarita.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 01:47:51 PM »

Nice map. A prop 8 map of SF would be even more interesting.....
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »

Maybe its just me, but I think the fact that San Fran has a neighborhood called "Tenderloin" is just too good. 

I'm also somewhat amazed to discover the that city even has any black people.  I figured they had successfully shoved them all into Oakland, where the rich, white, "tolerance police", liberals could safely look down upon them from a distance without threat to property values.

There's a ton of black people all over SF, although there are concentrations as the map illustrates. You conservatives really have this weird mental projection of San Francisco that is nothing close to the reality. If you are looking for rich people who are running away from blacks, you have to look elsewhere in the bay area.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:52:45 AM »

That primary map is weird, the mission district doesn't really make sense. Are those areas south of I-280 heavily hispanic? Or are they Asian?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 04:21:31 AM »

Ahh, thank you!  That gels a lot better with my understanding of Redding.  Obama mostly in new subdivision-land, Clinton in old (and poorburb) old subdivision-land in East Redding, affectionately "Helltown."  Blue-collar downtown mostly Clinton, except for Brookline, the standard Nice Area.

Lake Shasta area is a bit surprisingly strong for Clinton, although admittedly I don't know who lives there, and the coloring of the westshore precinct suggests to me that these are low-vote precincts.  My guess is that's the same for the very-Obama Platina precinct in the southwest.  I forget where the topography gets farm-unfriendly, but I'm guessing Platina "proper" is pretty damn sparse.

For the record:  Redding is a horrible, terrible place.  Do not go there.

HAHA I would say it is one of the better inland cities. It at least has a nice river to cool off in when its 110 outside. On balance its a horrible place but it is close to lake shasta and the forest starts just north of the city. Not much else to do there though.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »

Haha.  In fairness, I spent like one night there, and I was miserable for Redding-unrelated reasons.  But I remember downtown being a sprawly parking lot of a place, and East Redding being a tangled mess of cul de sacs, mass-produced houses and trailer parks.  The proximity of Shasta was lost on me, and I didn't get to see the river.  There wasn't much to do there.  I couldn't ever find out where the real downtown was, if there was really one.

I was actually staying closer to this place, which I think is technically Redding proper, but does seem to be much more horrible than most of the city.

I also have two friends, one who broke down in Redding and was robbed, and another who was forced to move down there while her brainwashed mother attended Shasta Bible College, which is a lot more nefarious than it sounds.

All roads just led to bad memories in Redding, I guess Tongue

Well if you use the adjective "horrible" with respect to Redding, I wonder what adjective you would use with respect to beautiful Bakersfield after you have the "pleasure" of visiting it up close and personal.  Tongue

The central valley truly is a work of art. Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 02:13:14 PM »

Which one are you talking about exactly? Most of the blue is just ranches and 3 of them in Pleasanton are country clubs. There are a few others in Livermore but they were all very close and still contain pretty big houses. All that blue on the east is again ranches and vineyards.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 08:24:31 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2009, 08:26:29 PM by sbane »

Which one are you talking about exactly?
The one that's an enclave. And more than one precinct in size. Tongue
Seems like four or five precincts.

Those smack dab in the middle? Might be the palomeres road area, its this kind of rural road full of old but nice houses. Seems like republican territory but I don't quite remember how they voted in 2004. Or maybe you are talking about that really blue couple of precincts in the northeast central part of the county. That looks like it might be Santa Rita jail or the vineyards north of Las Positas college. But trust me when I say that no subdivisions in Alameda county( outside Livermore) voted for Mccain.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 08:26:52 PM »

Are the gray areas just water and uninhabited places?

Yeah basically
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 03:13:12 PM »

Why are those places in the southeast part of Boulder county, which seem to be affluent suburbs, so Democratic? Was there a huge swing there in 2008?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 05:58:48 PM »

Why are those places in the southeast part of Boulder county, which seem to be affluent suburbs, so Democratic? Was there a huge swing there in 2008?

Affluent, but also very socially liberal and generally agree with Democrats on foreign policy. The culture war stuff really turns them off too.

But they seem to vote differently from other Denver suburbs. Are they much more socially liberal due to their proximity to Boulder? IIRC the gay marriage ban passed in all of the Denver suburban counties, except for Boulder obviously.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 11:17:35 PM »

Affluent, but also very socially liberal and generally agree with Democrats on foreign policy. The culture war stuff really turns them off too.

But they seem to vote differently from other Denver suburbs. Are they much more socially liberal due to their proximity to Boulder? IIRC the gay marriage ban passed in all of the Denver suburban counties, except for Boulder obviously.
Their employment is largely in IT. Well-educated white professionals, a group that trended strongly towards Obama.

That's very interesting. The IT boom has also made the bay area more liberal, imo. Are the IT companies mostly located towards Boulder? I am just trying to figure out why the southern part of the Denver metro seems so much more Republican. Is it because that area is wealthier?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies