Discuss with maps!: County map requests for 2008 election results (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:12:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Discuss with maps!: County map requests for 2008 election results (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Discuss with maps!: County map requests for 2008 election results  (Read 101974 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: November 14, 2008, 08:20:30 PM »

Union County, NJ

Bergen County, NJ would also be appreciated.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:46:11 AM »

Does this help you, Alcon?

http://gis.co.bergen.nj.us/bergencounty/viewer.asp
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:40:58 AM »

That primary map is really interesting. Especially the Mission District so strongly for Obama. My relatives' precincts around Bernal Heights all voted strongly No and strongly for Obama twice, no surprise.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 12:15:24 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2009, 12:37:10 PM by Verily »

That primary map is weird, the mission district doesn't really make sense. Are those areas south of I-280 heavily hispanic? Or are they Asian?

Right along the south side of 280 is heavily Hispanic (less so than the Mission District, though, mostly below 50% Hispanic). Further south right along the border is more white, the last remnants of Dan White's voters.

% Hispanic: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Latino_sf1.gif
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:30:12 PM »

Doing San Francisco results is a piece of cake for me.  A full-city issue takes like five minutes.  Something like CD isn't that bad either.

Here's Sheehan by precinct.  This'd be a really pretty map, were it not for Sheehan's best precinct, which is tremendously ugly.

I have no idea why, but it then decided to become the Shapefile From Hell and make MapWindow no longer apply my custom themes.  It just had the default fill color.  wtf?  Sorry, no margin-based Prop 8 map.

Interesting pattern there, too. Why the strength in the Mission District, again? (Haight-Ashbury is no surprise.)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 12:39:51 PM »

I know about where Milk's district was, but can anyone tell me where White's was?

Southeast SF -- Visitacion Valley, Crocker-Amazon, probably Excelsior, not sure about Bayview-Hunters Point.

The area where Prop. 8 passed (although for a different reason than it would have then)

Wikipedia has a map of the Supervisor Districts from the time:

Incidentally, Dan White's district number, 8, is now the district number for the Castro Wink Harvey Milk was in District 5.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 12:12:41 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2009, 12:17:25 AM by Verily »

That primary map is weird, the mission district doesn't really make sense. Are those areas south of I-280 heavily hispanic? Or are they Asian?

That is where Senator PiT lives (i.e. south of I-280 in SF).  Ask him. I think it is lower middle class Anglo.

Ah, here we go. Not Anglo, as you and I thought. Asian.

% Asian:

Very, very strong correlation with Clinton primary votes in SF (and also with support for Prop 8, although the black areas must be taken into consideration there). The only area where she was competitive but there were few Asians was in the Castro--no surprise. It looks like the Hispanics in SF loved Obama and apparently supported gay marriage. (Perhaps proximity of the Mission District and Castro geographically played a role in that.)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 02:05:11 AM »

Keep in mind the Mission District is about a third non-Hispanic white, probably more in terms of voters (both for citizenship and many-children reasons), and they are broadly in the culture of what Alcon called "Castro/Haight-Ashbury/Noe Valley etc." In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they were even more pro-Obama than whites in those three areas due to the age difference.

Yes, but in order to influence the Mission District so strongly, they would need to have been voting 80%+ Obama; not likely given that Obama didn't do that much better in Diamond Heights or Noe Valley. (Haight-Ashbury and the Castro are both a different story for the primary, but Diamond Heights and Noe Valley should be comparable.)

Same goes but more so for Prop 8 opposition, which would have been higher turnout given when it was held: Not a single precinct less than 70% against in all of the Mission District!
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:23:15 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2009, 11:25:37 PM by Verily »

Kerry won only Juneau, right? What was the swing like in Nome/that Bering coast borough?

Also, I'm guessing the Republican areas of Hidalgo County are the white enclaves? Although Hidalgo is 88% Hispanic, not sure how there could be any non-Hispanic majority precincts outside of the extremely rural ones, especially so scattered. Explanation?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 09:48:15 AM »

Petersburg City is another possibility, and I think Hudson County, NJ is at least possible as well (although Secaucus probably had a McCain precinct, and maybe Kearny as well).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies