Democratic Senators to vote on Lieberman's fate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:35:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democratic Senators to vote on Lieberman's fate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Democratic Senators to vote on Lieberman's fate  (Read 13049 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 02:25:08 AM »

Lieberman himself never actually joined CfL though. He's still a registered Democrat.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 02:30:56 AM »

I don't think CT has any laws that dictate who the governor has to appoint, so a moot issue.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 02:48:32 AM »

Sadly, they will take this away from Joe.
Poor Joe.  What did he do to deserve this?  Why do appropriate things happen to disloyal people?
Disloyal? How?

Surely you jest.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 07:59:40 AM »

Would this even be an issue if the situation was reversed and a sitting Republican senator not only endorsed but campaigned for Obama? Somehow I don't think Mitch McConnell would be very forgiven, especially if he had a healthy majority.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 09:51:30 AM »

I support taking away Lieberman's current committee chair and giving him another one that has to do with domestic issues. The thing is, he's basically a liberal Democrat on every issue but the one that he's currently in charge of in the Senate. And that just doesn't make any sense.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 09:58:29 AM »

I support taking away Lieberman's current committee chair and giving him another one that has to do with domestic issues. The thing is, he's basically a liberal Democrat on every issue but the one that he's currently in charge of in the Senate. And that just doesn't make any sense.

That makes the most sense to me. Lieberman's shown on a few occasions he'll change his positions to curry favor with those in power so a magnanimous White House would probably get and keep his support on domestic issues. The problem is, and always has been, with putting him in charge of a Government Oversight committee. It meant he refused to look into the Bush Administration's policies for two years and could easily decide to make trouble for Obama moving forward for defeating his good friend and against whom he campaigned.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 10:26:02 AM »

Lieberman should be sentenced to jail
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 10:42:33 AM »

Sadly, they will take this away from Joe.
Poor Joe.  What did he do to deserve this?  Why do appropriate things happen to disloyal people?
Disloyal? How?

Surely you jest.

Nope. He's still doing the job we elected him to do. Unless your talking about him backing McCain, in which I respond that the dems ditched him waaaaaaaaaay before this happened.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 11:12:06 AM »

Nope. He's still doing the job we elected him to do. Unless your talking about him backing McCain, in which I respond that the dems ditched him waaaaaaaaaay before this happened.

Lieberman started his spite trip against the party in early 2004 when he got no traction in the primaries and felt he should have gotten more respect, and support, as the former VP candidate. That's when he became Fox News' favorite go-to guy to bash Democrats and Democratic policy. In 2006, he campaigned in the general election on joining the Democratic caucus, supporting the Dem nominee in 2008, and ending the war, long enough to get enough Indy and Democratic votes to give him a sizable win over Lamont. Then within a couple of months he was back to speculating about his place in the Senate, why Democrats suck, etc. It's been a long process and his support for McCain was merely Act III of the five-act tragedy of Lieberman. Act IV is about to begin, and Act V will begin in 2012.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »

Yeah, but he's already said that he'll resign from the caucus if they take away his chairmanship. So it's a rock and a hard place situation here.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 01:43:47 PM »

Yeah, but he's already said that he'll resign from the caucus if they take away his chairmanship. So it's a rock and a hard place situation here.
Oh noes! Then we'll only have 56 seats. Let him. What's he going to do? Suddenly turn into a right-winger on domestic policy?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 02:00:07 PM »

I remember when my party had that attitude after our "unbeatable" majority after the 2004 election.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 06:13:28 PM »

One of the truest things you've ever said.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 06:17:12 PM »

He's a Connecticut for Liebermanian. Hopefully he loses his committee chairmanship and becomes irrelevant.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 06:17:35 PM »

I remember when my party had that attitude after our "unbeatable" majority after the 2004 election.
Eh, it'd be pretty near impossible for you guys to pick up 6 seats in 2010. The map just doesn't work like that. And by 2012 Lieberman will be gone. Kicking him out is worth the risk anyway.

Gross.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 06:19:37 PM »

Eh, it'd be pretty near impossible for you guys to pick up 6 seats in 2010. The map just doesn't work like that. And by 2012 Lieberman will be gone. Kicking him out is worth the risk anyway.

Yup, they already netted 4 in 2004. I don't think 2010 will be as bad a year for the Democrats. I'm thinking that there will be no more Senators Martinez and Bunning, just for starters.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2008, 08:42:22 PM »

Yup, they already netted 4 in 2004. I don't think 2010 will be as bad a year for the Democrats. I'm thinking that there will be no more Senators Martinez and Bunning, just for starters.

This means about as much as our nonsense about 60 Republican Senators after the 2006 election.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2008, 09:01:47 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2008, 09:05:18 PM by Ogre Mage »

I don't understand what leverage Lieberman has or thinks he has.  He is no longer needed for the majority and the Republicans cannot offer him a chairmanship in exchange for defecting.  If the Democrats strip him of the Homeland Security and Government Oversight chairmanship and give him a lesser one, how is he going to get a better deal if he walks?  It looks like a bluff and a pretty poor one at that.

At this point, Lieberman appears completely untrustworthy.  The Government Reform committee is to some degree the Internal Affairs of the Federal Government, it is an important chairmanship for one who has proven so untrustworthy.  Lieberman abused the power position he enjoyed when he controlled the balance of power in the 51-49 Congress.  But now things have changed.

For some of the right-wingers here defending Lieberman, I wonder what you would have done if Chuck Hagel had not retired.  He was quite critical of McCain during the campaign, although at least he did not speak at the DNC.  Would you have welcomed him back into the caucus with all his committee chairmanships intact had he won reelection?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2008, 09:07:17 PM »

For some of the right-wingers here defending Lieberman, I wonder what you would have done if Chuck Hagel had not retired.  He was quite critical of McCain during the campaign, although at least he did not speak at the DNC.  Would you have welcomed him back into the caucus with all his committee chairmanships intact had he won reelection?

I really don't care about what Hagel did. A better example would be people like former Senator Chafee or Specter. That being said, I'm not saying that the Dems shouldn't be able to do this. I simply disagree with it as a Lieberman fan. It's one of those issues when having a double standard of sorts isn't a problem for me.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2008, 04:37:15 PM »

And Zell Miller is too. What's the point?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »

Except Zell Miller doesn't agree with Democrats on 90% of the issues.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2008, 05:06:43 PM »

We understand that.

That's fine. I don't get worked up over Ben Nelson not voting straight Democratic. He represents his state.

But Joe Lieberman has decided he wants to support the Republicans because of that ten percent.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2008, 05:08:50 PM »

If I were a Democratic Senator I would probably vote to keep him. Nothing good can come from kicking him out or taking his chairmanship away.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2008, 06:40:43 PM »

Nothing good can come from kicking him out or taking his chairmanship away.

Kicking him out is pointless, sure, but taking his chairmanship away prevents him from opening Dan Burton-style investigations into every aspect of the Obama administration simply out of spite or on behalf of the Republicans. Give him any other committee aside from Foreign Relations.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2008, 06:44:34 PM »

They can remove him from his chairmanship at any time, any day they want to.  Why not give him a chance?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies