"Cordell for President" - Political Story (COMMENTS WELCOME)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:06:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  "Cordell for President" - Political Story (COMMENTS WELCOME)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: "Cordell for President" - Political Story (COMMENTS WELCOME)  (Read 20648 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 06:37:54 PM »

It is a rough image of the electoral map from Iverson's election four years earlier.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2008, 09:50:24 PM »

It is a rough image of the electoral map from Iverson's election four years earlier.

Okay. I thought it was a map of current polling, but that didn't make sense.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2008, 09:56:25 PM »

Nah, sometimes I put a storyboard image with the plot. For that image it's "Cordell and Jessica Norris sitting around a conference table, on wall hangs map from the election four years earlier".

I'll do that occasionally.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2008, 09:58:13 PM »

Nah, sometimes I put a storyboard image with the plot. For that image it's "Cordell and Jessica Norris sitting around a conference table, on wall hangs map from the election four years earlier".

Interesting. What'd you make that with?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 12:12:38 AM »

Interesting. What'd you make that with?

Ah, just a PhotoImpression.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2008, 05:05:49 AM »

bump, to remind Naso that he hasn't added anything for over a day now.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2008, 07:30:21 AM »

SCENE OPENS IN GOVERNOR CORDELL'S OFFICE, STEVE KNOX SITS THERE GOING OVER PAPERS.

Cordell: Ya know, Steve...
Knox: Yes sir?
Cordell: What got you involved?
Knox: Involved?
Cordell: In the process...in the system...in politics.
Knox: (chuckles) When I was three, my mother and father were arguing about Obama versus McCain.
Cordell: (lights up a cigar and laughs)
Knox: Ever since then, I've followed the elections and been deeply interested in it. Sir...if I may ask...what got you interested in politics?

CORDELL PUFFS ON HIS CIGAR, LEANS BACK IN THE CHAIR

Cordell: When I was a little boy, I used to have nightmares about nuclear war. I used to dream about Soviet troops driving down my street and capturing all my friends from school...throwing them into concentration camps. I guess I watched "Red Dawn" a little too much.
Knox: (LAUGHS)
Cordell: I had a dream once that I was fishin' up at Hawkback Lake, just outside of my hometown of Binger. I was reelin' in my fishin' pole when a blinding white flash appeared in the distance. My daddy and I ran to the car and turned on the radio. All you could hear was that tone of the old Emergency Broadcast System and then I heard Reagan's voice break in saying that our country was under attack. Just then, the shockwave hit. I woke up crying...pouring sweat...terrified of nuclear war. Everytime the Emergency Broadcast System went off for a test I'd piss myself. I followed the campaign...they said Reagan wanted to put nuclear weapons in Space...it just all seemed so scary. Needless to say, I became a six-year old advocate for arms negotiation and a nuclear freeze.
Knox: (chuckles)
Cordell: But yeah...that's what got me interested in politics and current events.
Knox: I remember growing up with the attacks, the bombings, the war. My parents always fought about Bush's policies and Obama's policies. Things were so difficult to understand at that young age...but I wanted to understand them so badly. But America has always come so far...I mean...in my lifetime we've seen the first black President, the first woman President, the first Indian American President...and I stop and think...just 20 years before I was born that would seem impossible.
Cordell: I can understand, Steve.
Knox: That's why I still can't believe I am where I am today...best friends with the Governor of Oklahoma who just might be the next President of the United States.
Cordell: And let me tell ya, Steve...when I'm President...you're coming with me to Washington.
Knox: I...I just can't believe that you would pick me....
Cordell: Oh quit beatin' that drum, Steve. You are a smart, young, able guy who I know, and trust...you're my friend. You're my go-to guy and you have proven yourself over the last two and half months....you've proven yourself and become my friend more than people I have known for 20 years.
Knox: That means quite alot, sir.
Cordell: Now...down to business.
Knox: Several new polls out, sir. We're trailing Iverson in Missouri, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Oregon.
Cordell: OREGON? How the hell did that slip away?
Knox: Don't know sir, but we're leading Iverson in Florida, New Hampshire, Michigan and Wisconsin.
Cordell: That's good...that's good...we need to take back Florida, New Hampshire and Wisconsin if we want any chance at this thing...
Knox: Jessica and I are calling our campaign offices in all three states to make sure they have a good ground game set up.
Cordell: Excellent.

SCENE ENDS

NEWS REPORT OPENS

Reporter: With just two weeks left to go before the Democratic National Convention in Houston, Texas, the presumptive Democratic Nominee Governor John Cordell wasted no time attacking President Iverson on the campaign trail.
Cordell: (on stump) WE ARE NO LONGER GOING TO TOLERATE A PRESIDENT WHO CARES MORE ABOUT THE WEALTHY THAN THE WORKERS!
Reporter: Trailing in some national polls, Cordell is looking for a boost with a running mate selection, expected to come shortly before the convention.
Cordell: (in Press Conference) I am overlooking potential contenders, and I will select a running mate who I know will help me clean up the act in Washington and bring economic growth back to this nation.
Reporter: Possible contenders for the VP slot include: New Jersey Senator and former Presidential Contender Greg Harris, Michigan Governor Vince Slade, and Nevada Governor Tom Fine. Fine recently endorsed Governor Cordell at a rally in Reno last week, and is considered a top contender.

TELEVISION TURNS OFF, CORDELL AND WIFE LESLIE LAY IN BED

Cordell: It's a tough choice, you know...
Leslie: Running mate?
Cordell: Oh yeah. Vince Slade...Tom Fine...Les Dunham...Karl Mantrose...all good guys. But, what I have to keep reminding myself...I have to work with these guys in the White House for four to eight years. I have to personally like them...trust them...have confidence.
Leslie: Who do you like the best?
Cordell: Mantrose is an ass, and quite frankly I ain't picking him.
Leslie: (laughs)
Cordell: Tom Fine has to lose that mustache if he wants any shot at it....
Leslie: (laughs) Oh John...
Cordell: I'm serious...he looks like a clone of Tom Dewey.
Leslie: Les Dunham is a handsome guy for his age. Vince Slade is too.
Cordell: Yeah, I like both those guys...they are great.
Leslie: I'm sure whoever you pick will be just fine, dear.
Cordell: BUT I HAVEN'T DECIDED ON GOVERNOR FINE, YET!
Leslie: (laughs) Goodnight, dear.

END SCENE
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2008, 04:14:24 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2008, 04:21:46 AM by Reaganfan »

SCENE OPENS, GOVERNOR CORDELL'S OFFICE. GOVERNOR CORDELL SITS AT DESK GOING OVER PAPERS. THE DOOR OPENS, AND HIS SECRETARY VICTORIA NEIL WALKS IN.

Victoria: You wanted to see me?
Cordell: Sit down, Victoria.

VICTORIA SITS DOWN, CORDELL STANDS UP AND LIGHTS A CIGAR.

Cordell: With this election just around the corner, I'm afraid...(SIGHS)...I'm afraid we have to go our separate ways.
Victoria: You mean...like...when you're campaigning we could talk on the phone and then meet occasionally with-
Cordell: NO...Victoria, no. I mean...I can't see you...personally...on a personal level...ever again.
Victoria: I- I don't understand.
Cordell: Victoria, look here. When I first met you, I was young and foolish. I was just beginning to run for Governor and I was under alot of stress...pressure...my wife and I weren't getting along like we used to...I had a little kid at home...you were a 36 year old staffer and I took a chance and...
Victoria: ...and you said you would marry me.
Cordell: Victoria, I never said that.
Victoria: You did so!
Cordell: When?
Victoria: The night before you got re-elected. You and I made love here in the office and you said you would marry me.
Cordell: Victoria...I don't remember that at all...I- I may have been drunk...I don't remember saying that.
Victoria: Well...you did. For two years I have been waiting for you to dump that fuc*ing bitch and marry me.
Cordell: Victoria...whatever we said in the past is just that. It's past. It's history. We're finished as a couple and the only time you and I can see eachother is when you are my secretary and I am your boss.
Victoria: (begins crying) Well than F*** you, SIR.

VICTORIA RUNS OUT OF OFFICE. CORDELL SIGHS AND SITS BACK IN CHAIR AND RECLINES.

END SCENE

SCENE OPENS OF GOVERNOR CORDELL, HAVING FALLEN ASLEEP IN HIS CHAIR, WAKING UP THE NEXT MORNING TO A RINGING OFFICE PHONE.

CORDELL, STILL HALF-ASLEEP, ANSWERS THE PHONE.

Cordell: Ha--Hello?
Knox: (ON PHONE) Governor...what the hell is going on?
Cordell: Steve my boy, Steve...what's up?
Knox: Turn on the news.

CORDELL TURNS ON CABLE NEWS ON HIS OFFICE TELEVISION.

Reporter: ...and again it's 8:14am here in New York City and this morning's top story, a massive bombshell on the presumptive Democratic Nominee Governor John Cordell. Apparently, last night a woman named Victoria Neil ran into the local Oklahoma City affiliate station and claims that she and Governor Cordell have been having an affair for the past eight years. Now again, details surrounding this story are sketchy, but needless to say coming just days before the selection of a running mate and the Democratic National Convention...this cannot be good news for the Cordell campaign.

Cordell: (ON PHONE) Steve...get to the office ASAP!
Knox: I'm on my way.

SCENE SHIFTS TO AN HOUR LATER, KNOX AND CORDELL IN THE GOVERNOR'S OFFICE. STEVE KNOX AND GOVERNOR CORDELL STAND IN THE OFFICE QUIETLY SIPPING COFFEE.

Knox: John...

CORDELL NOTICES THIS IS THE FIRST TIME KNOX HASN'T CALLED CORDELL "GOVERNOR" OR "SIR".

Cordell: Yes, Steve?
Knox: Did you have an affair with her?
Cordell: (looking down) Yes, Steve, I did.
Knox: (sighs) Dammit...
Cordell: I was stressed...it was eight years ago...Leslie and I weren't getting along...and she was flirtly so I fuc*ed her. I didn't think it would turn into some kind of big fuc*ing media event.
Knox: Yeah well...you obviously didn't expect to run for President, did you?
Cordell: No...no I didn't.
Knox: She claims you were supposed to get married.
Cordell: YEAH...GET THIS. Two years ago, I'm in my office, I'm feeling confident about re-election, so I get real flirtly with her. Next thing ya know, we get drunk and mess around. She claims when I was drunk I told her I would marry her.
Knox: Governor, I need to know everything. Is she the only one?
Cordell: (pause) The only serious one.
Knox: What the hell does that mean!?!
Cordell: IT MEANS that I f***ed a North Carolina staffer a few months ago and that cleaning chick who worked at the Mansion....HAPPY?
Knox: Is that all?
Cordell: I swear to you, that's all.
Knox: Okay...look...you want me to shoot ya straight, right?
Cordell: Right.
Knox: You may have just lost your marriage.
Cordell: I am fully aware of that.
Knox: You may have just lost your job.
Cordell: I understand.
Knox: And you may have just lost the Presidency.

LONG PERIOD OF SILENCE BETWEEN CORDELL AND KNOX.

Cordell: I wanna talk to the press.
Knox: When?
Cordell: NOW.
Knox: JOHN! WAIT!

CORDELL WALKS OUT THE DOOR.

SCENE SHIFTS TO PRESS CONFERENCE WITH CORDELL AND REPORTERS.

Cordell: I am here to clarify some recent events that have taken place regarding myself and my secretary, Miss Victoria Neil. About eight years ago, I had an affair with Miss Neil. We continued to see eachother as recently as this past Spring. I also had an affair with two other women, whose identities will remain anonymous, within this past year. I understand how terrible this is, for me, for my family and for my supporters. The allegations of an affair with Miss Neil are true. The allegations of a potential marriage between myself and Miss Neil are not. This is, the one and only time I will ever speak on this matter. I ask that the press give myself, Miss Neil, and our families the respect of privacy, and I hope to put this behind us all.
Reporter: GOVERNOR, WILL YOU STILL BE SEEKING THE PRESIDENCY?
Cordell: My goodness, OF COURSE! Just because I made a serious mistake in my personal life, you expect me to end my campaign to rebuild this nation's faltering economy? To fix our schools and reform education for America's children? To stop this Iverson/Quinn policy of taxing the middle class and giving relief to the rich in America?  You expect me to end all that? HOGWASH.

GOVERNOR CORDELL EXITS STAGE WITH REPORTERS SCREAMING QUESTIONS. HE WALKS BEHIND STAGE AND GOES UP TO STEVE KNOX.

Cordell: How did I do?
Knox: The best you possibly could.
Cordell: Yes...now I....I have to go home and...and talk to Leslie.

CORDELL, DEPRESSED, WALKS AWAY.

Knox: GOVERNOR?
Cordell: Yeah, Steve?
Knox: (BRIEF PAUSE)...I still believe in you.

CORDELL SMILES AND WALKS AWAY.

END SCENE

OPEN SCENE, CORDELL CABIN, GOVERNOR CORDELL WALKS IN, THE HOUSE IS QUIET. HE TURNS THE CORNER AND GETS A MASSIVE SMACK ACROSS HIS FACE FROM LESLIE.

Cordell: LESLIE!
Leslie: (CRYING AND SCREAMING)  YOU, YOU SON OF A BITCH! YOU SON OF A BITCH!
Cordell: BABY...BABY...I DIDN'T WANT TO...IT JUST HAPPENED...
Leslie: Oh yeah...it just happened. You just happened to bang your slutty secretary, right John!
Cordell: Honey...she means NOTHING TO ME. ABSOULTELY NOTHING AT ALL. I COULD CARE LESS. YOU ARE MY WIFE, LESLIE...YOU...NOT HER!
Leslie: (CRYING)

CORDELL AND LESLIE KISS, AND HUG.

END SCENE

SCENE OPENS IN WHITE HOUSE, PRESIDENT JACK IVERSON SITS WITH FEET KICKED UP, EATING POPCORN AND DRINKING A COKE WATCHING AN EPISODE OF "M*A*S*H". WIFE JEANNE SITS NEXT TO HIM.

Jeanne: Jack, what are you feeling?
Iverson: Honestly, I feel like watching Hawkeye and Klinger.
Jeanne: Honey, I'm serious.
Iverson: Look, Jeanne...I don't like seeing a man's personal life come under scrutiny. I know that better than anyone, you know that, Jeanne.
Jeanne: Of course.
Iverson: That being said...politically...for myself and Hank...this is good news. Look, I know that the American people have a short memory...and I know what happened two years ago will be forgotten. But Jeanne, when I saw the families of those people on the trains...I made a vow...and when I get those briefings...I know the threat that exists...and I trust myself more than John Cordell.
Jeanne: I know baby. I know, Jack.
Iverson: I'm gonna comment on the Cordell scandal tomorrow.
Jeanne: Are you sure you wanna do that?
Iverson: Yes, I'm sure...and plus...I have to.

FIRST LADY JEANNE IVERSON KISSES THE PRESIDENT AND CUDDLES WITH HIM, AND THEY BOTH RETURN TO WATCHING "M*A*S*H".

END SCENE

SCENE OPENS, SAME NIGHT, NEW JERSEY SENATOR GREG HARRIS STANDS IN KITCHEN, LOOKING AT TELEVISION NEWS REPORT ON SCANDAL IN HIS LIVING ROOM THROUGH THE DOORWAY. HIS WIFE KAREN HARRIS CUTS VEGETABLES FOR DINNER.

Harris: That bastard blackmailed his way to his nomination.
Karen: You already told me.
Harris: Look honey, you know we had marital problems in the past...but that was behind us...and that son of a bitch dug it up just to keep me from that nomination.
Karen: He isn't nominated yet, Greg.
Harris: Yeah...I know.
Karen: Why not jump back into the race?
Harris: Are you insane?
Karen: At this point...his poll numbers are down the tube and he is riddled with scandal.
Harris: (deep in thought) I can't believe what I'm about to say...but Karen...you're right. That son of a bitch kicked me outta this race, and now he has no chance. I can reboot my campaign, all my supporters, disaffected Cordell supporters...delegates...I can do it...
Karen: Will you?
Harris: (shakes his head) Right now what I need is some dinner! (laughs)

END SCENE
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2008, 05:42:38 AM »

SCENE OPENS FOUR DAYS AFTER SCANDAL BREAKS, CONFERENCE ROOM AT NASHVILLE CAMPAIGN HEADQUARTERS. CORDELL AND KNOX SIT AT THE TABLE.

Knox: Governor, we have daily national and state tracking polls.
Cordell: Of course.

KNOX PUTS UP ELECTORAL MAP, MANY STATES IN RED FOR IVERSON, MANY IN BLUE FOR CORDELL, AND SOME IN GRAY FOR TOSS-UP.

Knox: This was the electoral map four days ago.
Cordell: Not bad...
Knox: This is the electoral map today.

MAP SHIFTS TO ALMOST ALL RED FOR IVERSON, WITH SEVERAL STATES IN GRAY AND VERY FEW IN BLUE FOR CORDELL

Knox: Sir, that's a landslide electoral defeat.
Cordell: (angry) Well what the hell do we do to change it?
Knox: The running mate, sir. Have you decided?
Cordell: I'm down to three...all Governors. Fine of Nevada, Slade of Michigan and Dunham of Iowa. I'm gonna choose this weekend. What are each of their advantages electorally?
Knox: Well, picking Dunham will help solidify Iowa, possibly pull back Minnesota and Wisconsin, solidify Michigan, maybe Ohio and Missouri...
Cordell: What about Slade?
Knox: Pretty much the same. Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin.
Cordell: I've been leaning towards Fine.
Knox: Governor Fine brings in the Southwest...infact...we're trailing in Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Arizona...all states Moon was very strong in four years ago.
Cordell: Does internal polling show that?
Knox: Big time. A Cordell/Fine ticket brings in the Southwest and cancels out any gains Iverson makes in the Pacific Northwest.
Cordell: I see.
Knox: Sir...
Cordell: Yeah, Steve?
Knox: Clinton got over his past. You will too.
Cordell: (brief pause and chuckle) Yeah...Yeah...I know. It just...wasn't exactly what I had planned, you know?
Knox: I understand.
Cordell: Look, I want posters...buttons...you name it... made up of three running mates: Fine, Slade and Dunham.
Knox: Got it.
Cordell: Thanks, Steve. I really appreciate all the hard work you do.
Knox: Sure thing, John.

END SCENE

OPEN NEWSREPORT

Reporter: Governor John Cordell is hard on the campaign trail following last week's bombshell story of an affair with a longtime secretary. Cordell has only publically commented on the affair once, and has since been hotly contesting the electoral playing field with President Iverson. The President, running well ahead of Cordell in the polls, wasted no time attacking his opponents lack of national security credentials, but refused to bring up the affair on the stump. However, the President did make this remark two days ago at a press conference.
Iverson: Look, whatever Governor Cordell has done in his personal life is just that...his personal life. This campaign will be about the issues.
Reporter: But the aides say the President is "well aware" of the political significance of the scandal, breaking just days before Cordell's running mate announcement and the Democratic National Convention. Also adding fuel to the fire, New Jersey Senator and Former Presidential Candidate Greg Harris has stated that if his supporters rally a "sufficent number of delegates" at the Democratic National Convention next week, he will be a contender for the nomination once again. Senator Harris dropped out of the race back this past April.
Harris: If the leaders of our party decide they want to take a second look at me...I'm all for it.

TELEVISION SHUTS OFF. GOVERNOR CORDELL STANDS IN OFFICE WITH STEVE KNOX AND JESSICA NORRIS.

Norris: Governor...this is bad.
Cordell: Nah...I'm not even phased.
Knox: How can you not be?
Cordell: Because this guy is a f***ing joke, you guys. He says if he can get a sufficent amount of delegates...this isn't a century ago...this isn't the old days of F.D.R. and smoke filled rooms...this is simple politics. I won the neccesary amount of delegates to be nominated...they are strongly committed....and I'm about to choose a running mate that will solidify the party behind me and boost me back up in the polls and no Greg Harris or Jack Iverson is gonna get in my f***ing way!
Knox: When will you decide on the veep, John?
Cordell: I'm calling them in the morning.
Knox: Alright. Look, I think you should relax and take a breather. Jessica and I are gonna go have dinner, I think you should go home, relax, and make your decision tomorrow.
Cordell: (brief pause) ...perhaps you're right. I'll go home and have dinner with Leslie and Ashley...they too have a stressful week ahead.
Norris: See you tomorrow, Gov.
Knox: Night, John.
Cordell: See you guys.

END SCENE

SCENE SHIFTS TO NEXT MORNING, 6:00AM, CORDELL RECLINES IN CHAIR, SETS CIGAR IN ASHTRAY, PULLS OUT HIS CELL PHONE AND MAKES THE CALL.

Cordell: (ON PHONE) GOVERNOR! Good morning, sir, it's John Cordell. Yes, it's a pleasure to speak with you. I have a big question for ya...

END SCENE

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2008, 03:20:58 PM »

SCENE OPENS IN WHITE HOUSE, PRESIDENT JACK IVERSON SITS WITH FEET KICKED UP, EATING POPCORN AND DRINKING A COKE WATCHING AN EPISODE OF "M*A*S*H". WIFE JEANNE SITS NEXT TO HIM.[/b]

They're still gonna have M*A*S*H reruns that far in the future.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2008, 04:51:07 PM »

SCENE OPENS IN WHITE HOUSE, PRESIDENT JACK IVERSON SITS WITH FEET KICKED UP, EATING POPCORN AND DRINKING A COKE WATCHING AN EPISODE OF "M*A*S*H". WIFE JEANNE SITS NEXT TO HIM.[/b]

They're still gonna have M*A*S*H reruns that far in the future.

OF COURSE! LOL

Man...the more I write this the deeper the twists and turns get...
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2008, 01:47:19 AM »

SCENE OPENS WITH GOVERNOR CORDELL AT A RALLY IN BOULDER, COLORADO WITH HIS RUNNING MATE, MICHIGAN GOVERNOR VINCE SLADE.

Cordell: I had to choose a person whom I felt was qualified to be President, and who would serve America with their best intentions at heart as Vice President, and I found that person in Vince Slade. Vince served in the United States House of Representatives before being elected Governor of Michigan. He has a centrist voting record, and he will be a centrist Vice President. He understands the needs of middle Americans, and as Vice President, he will fight for them. Let me turn the microphone over to the next Vice President of the United States, Governor Vince Slade of Michigan!

CROWD GOES WILD AS GOVERNOR SLADE WALKS ONTO STAGE

Slade: THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH! THANK YOU! I want to thank Governor Cordell for his offer to be Vice President...incase you didn't hear...I accept and intend to fight ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE!
(CROWD CHEERS)
Slade: After the last four years of Iverson, America needs a new brand of leadership in Washington. Someone who can fight for the average American, the average American who works so hard, and yet sees the rich get richer under this administration. We will fight for them...we will fight for them because they represent REAL AMERICA that needs REAL REFORM from REAL LEADERS and John and I will be sure to fight for it when we get to the White House!

SCENE SHIFTS BACKSTAGE FROM RALLY. CORDELL, SLADE, AND KNOX STAND TOGETHER.

Knox: Hi Governor Cordell, Governor Slade.
Cordell: Vince, I'd like you to meet Steve Knox, my Senior Advisor.
Slade: Nice to meet you, I've heard good things.
Knox: Thank you, Governor...it's great to have you on board and I look forward to working with you and Governor Cordell for the rest of the campaign.
Slade: Now, John...what's the deal with Harris?
Cordell: Who the hell knows and who the hell cares? The guy is a loon.
Knox: Word is...he has agreed to put Senator Karl Mantrose of Minnesota on the ticket if the delegates push him to nomination.
Slade: Nah, it's a pipe dream. We're the official presumptive Democratic ticket...and we already have the amount of delegates needed for nomination, so it's all just a pipe dream for him
Cordell: The minute one little story broke that showed the Democratic ticket in a negative light...boom...he assumes the worst. Ya know, doesn't that show what type of erratic President he would be?
Knox: That's for sure.
Slade: No doubt.
Knox: Anyways...good to have you on Governor.
Slade: Happy to be here.
Cordell: Hey Steve, can I talk to you in private for a minute?
Knox: Sure.

STEVE AND CORDELL WALK INTO CORNER

Cordell: So, what do you think?
Knox: He was probably your best pick.
Cordell: I ended up scratching out Governor Fine...and had to decide on Dunham or Slade, and Slade's appeal on Iverson's hometurf and his fresh, new appeal really gave me an edge to give it to him. He accepted immediately, of course.
Knox: We should get a sizeable bump out of this...
Cordell: I sure hope so, we're down by double digits.
Knox: Combine this and the convention, and we should be fine.
Cordell: Barring any Greg Harris surprises.
Knox: Of course.

END SCENE

NEWSREPORT OPENS

Reporter: The Cordell/Slade ticket proved a hit infront of 30,000 people in Boulder, Colorado on Saturday. Governor Vince Slade of Michigan, 46 years old, has been Governor for six years, re-elected by massive margins two years ago. He holds 75% approval ratings throughout his state, served a term in the House of Representatives, and says he is fully prepared to take on the Iverson/Quinn ticket. It may prove to be an uphill battle though, with several new polls showed Cordell trailing Iverson by double digits across the country, one new AP poll even showing President Iverson leading Governor Cordell by a significant 22-point margin.
Analysis: While it is still early...and alot can happen...the Iverson campaign has to be feeling pretty good right now.

TELEVISION SHUTS OFF, PRESIDENT JACK IVERSON AND WIFE JEANNE LAY IN BED AT CAMP DAVID.

Jeanne: It's looking good for you, honey.
Iverson: I try not to get overconfident. Reagan always used to say that when he was running far ahead in polls.
Jeanne: Didn't Reagan win almost every state?
Iverson: Yep...49 out of 50.
Jeanne: Which state did he lose?
Iverson: Minnesota, just barely. It was Mondale's homestate.
Jeanne: (laughs) Well if you pull a Reagan, you might outdo him...your homestate of Minnesota sure loves you.
Iverson: Yeah. Ya know, in some ways, I almost wish I could just retire after January and move back home to Minnesota.
Jeanne: Really?
Iverson: YEAH, babe. Think about it. Ice fishing with Karl Mantrose and leaving him out there in the shanty all by himself.
Jeanne: (laughs)
Iverson: I'd lock him in and turn off the heat. "That's what you get for opposing my proposals, Senator!"
Jeanne: (laughs) You really would like to retire?
Iverson: Yeah...I mean...being Governor was a stressful job...and I thought after doing that for six years, being President would be just a little harder than Governor. Ya know...President of a state to President of a country...I thought I was ready. Quite frankly, I wasn't.
Jeanne: But you were, Jack. America loves you.
Iverson: You think so?
Jeanne: I KNOW SO, HONEY. You're decently popular in approval polls, your current leading Cordell by 20 points...they love you. They love how tough you are and they love you because they know in their hearts that you'll keep them safe.
Iverson: It's a big thing to have people put their faith into you. I mean...people go to sleep at night easier because I...me...Jack Iverson...am the President of the United States. It's a really big thing.
Jeanne: But you've been tested. You have passed.
Iverson: I hope so.
Jeanne: Jack, don't be so pessimistic...you will get a second term.
Iverson: (chuckles) We'll let the people decide, honey.

PRESIDENT IVERSON KISSES JEANNE AND THEY GO TO SLEEP.

END SCENE

SCENE OPENS AT CORDELL'S CABIN, OKLAHOMA. ASHLEY SITS AT THE DINNER TABLE WITH LESLIE AND CORDELL.

Cordell: So Ashley, you wanna go swimming over at the lake tomorrow?
Ashley: SURE!
Cordell: Great! I'll set the alarm early, that way we can all grab Breakfast first.
Leslie: You two can go, I'll stay here.
Cordell: Aw, come on mommy...don't be a party pooper.
Leslie: No...you two should have quality time together.
Cordell: Well...if you wish, dear.

SCENE SHIFTS TO LAKE NEXT MORNING, CORDELL AND DAUGHTER ASHLEY SWIM.

Ashley: So daddy, who exactly is Vince Slade?
Cordell: He's the Governor of Michigan, sweetie...and I picked him to be my Vice President if I win.
Ashley: So if someone shot you, Vince Slade would be President?
Cordell: (laughs) YEP!
Ashley: My friend Katie has a crush on Vince Slade. She says he's a hottie.
Cordell: (laughs) Well let's hope the rest of America agrees and votes for me, honey!

END SCENE
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2008, 12:13:34 PM »

Good so far.

The stupid pictures keep throwing me off, because I have images in my mind who the people look like.  Actually, Cordell is white in my mind - kinda looks like Chuck Hagel, but a little less maintained hair.

Slade looks just like your pictures.

Iverson looks kinda like Slade, but taller and a bit of a longer face.  Black hair.

Harris is kinda a cross between Howard Dean and Joe Biden.  A full face (not round though), with white hair.  Howard Dean's face with Biden or Dodd's hair.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2008, 10:20:59 PM »

I like this story, except I can't stop picturing Allen Iverson as a character. Smiley
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2008, 05:58:45 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2008, 06:23:27 AM by Reaganfan »

SCENE OPENS, OVAL OFFICE, PRESIDENT IVERSON STANDS WITH SENIOR POLITICAL ADVISOR, BILL THOMAS.

Iverson: So Bill, tell me how I stand...
Thomas: Well sir, polls are holding strongly in your favor. You have double digit leads nationally...you're ahead by five in Oregon, three in Maine, six in Florida. Polls also show you might be able to win Iowa and Pennsylvania, this time.
Iverson: How does Slade change this election?
Thomas: Well sir, I think we'll have to wait and see...I do know that he is a pretty dynamic pick, young, energetic, centrist, and clean as a whistle as far as everyone knows. Michigan is pretty much out of play with him as the pick, but since we don't have Governor Fine on the ticket, Nevada seems strong as does Colorado. Fine would have really played well for Cordell in the Southwest, Dunham would have made Iowa solid Democrat again, but Slade keeps Michigan once again for the Dems.
Iverson: If we could pull Oregon, is it over?
Thomas: It would be very hard for Cordell. I mean, Oregon goes...along with Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin and Minnesota...even winning North Carolina and Oklahoma wouldn't make it up.

PRESIDENT IVERSON TAKES A SIP OF COFFEE, STANDS UP OUT OF CHAIR AND LOOKS DEEP IN THOUGHT

Iverson: I'm worried, Bill.
Thomas: Sir?
Iverson: I have this feeling...I get those feelings, you know that.
Thomas: What type of feeling, sir?
Iverson: The type of feeling that there are a great quanity of Americans aching to hit the button against me...not just for Cordell...but against me.
Thomas: But sir, your approval rating is at 60%.
Iverson: Actually I just saw a new poll today, it's at 52%. Now Bill we saw this happen before...52% is not safe ground for an incumbent President.
Thomas: Mr. President, I understand how nerve racking a campaign can be. I only wish you had the 80% approvals you had two years ago, but times change...people's perceptions of Presidents change. They come into office in landslides and leave four years later that very same way. It's all part of the game, Mr. President.
Iverson: I suppose you're right, Bill.
Thomas: Sir, if it's any consolation, we have a top-notch ground game in every state we won four years ago...we have a strong amount of grassroots support coming out of states that Moon won last time like Oregon, Washington, Iowa and Pennsylvania...and we can greatly expand this electoral map. Just stay consistant with a clear message of leadership and strength through trying times, and the American people will reward you.
Iverson: (pauses for a moment and sips coffee) We shall see.

END SCENE

SCENE OPENS IN HOTEL CONFERENCE ROOM, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS. GOVERNOR CORDELL IS GETTING WIRED UP FOR A LIVE-FEED INTERVIEW WITH THE NBC NIGHTLY NEWS HOST. GOVERNOR SLADE ALSO SITS NEXT TO HIM, WHILE SENIOR POLITICAL ADVISOR STEVE KNOX STANDS NEARBY.

Cordell: So Vince...you got that Convention speech prepared?
Slade: Just about wrapped it up, John. Infact, I think it will get a good reception. Atleast I hope it will. (chuckles)
Cordell: I just hope Harris keeps his ass in line...last thing we need is a setback.
Slade: He has no shot.
Cordell: Of course not...but some people never stop. There are those Harold Stasson's of American politics...they run even when they know they're screwed.
Knox: Hey guys...you have 2 minutes.
Cordell: Thanks, Steve.
Slade: I just don't understand why Harris would want to jeopardize his party's chances at the White House, you know?
Cordell: For him it's simple...if we win he's done. The guy is almost 61 years old, he looks like hell, and if we win he has to wait 8 years...and then if you have ambitions...another 4 or 8. The guy will be 80 years old before he has a snowball's chance in hell.
Slade: That's true.
Cordell: He looks and sees Iverson being re-elected, then in four years he runs as the frontrunner...
Knox: One minute, fellas.
Cordell:...I mean...honestly he would have a decent shot. Hell, he might even be matched up with Vice President Quinn.
Slade: (chuckles) A run against Hank Quinn sounds like fun.
Cordell: Don't joke, Vince...we may have to face him someday...
Newsman: Ready to go, Governors?
Cordell: Yes, sir!

BROADCAST STARTS. NBC NIGHTLY NEWS.

Correspondent: Good evening, with just hours left before the start of the Democratic National Convention, tension is high among delegates and party insiders. Presumptive Democratic nominee Governor John Cordell of Oklahoma and his running mate Governor Vince Slade of Michigan are anticipated to be formally nominated at the Convention Tuesday, however New Jersey Democratic Senator Greg Harris has once against rallied support and said if enough delegates out his name into nomination, he would accept and choose Minnesota Senator Karl Mantrose as his running mate. Political observers and party insiders say that is unlikely, but it could still cause problems for the Cordell-Slade ticket, which continues to run very far behind the Iverson-Quinn ticket. With us now in an exclusive live interview are Governors Cordell and Slade, gentlemen welcome.
Cordell: Hey there, David how are you?
Correspondent: Very well, gentlemen let me get right to it. Governor Cordell, the latest NBC News Wall Street journal poll shows that if the election were held today, you and Governor Slade would lose to President Iverson in a landslide defeat. Also, a new AP poll shows that more people find the President honorable, more trustworthy, and more qualifed that yourself. What do you have to say about that?
Cordell: Well David, I have to say thank goodness the election isn't being held today. (laughs) Look, we have a wonderful ground game built up, we have great advisors and we're gonna come out of that convention next week united as a party and ready to take on Jack Iverson and Hank Quinn, look...I know polls say what polls say but we've seen time and time again when these polls have been off. We're gonna be just fine...just fine.

(END SCENE)

SCENE OPENS MONDAY EVENING, JULY 5TH AT PRIVATE DINNER FUNDRAISER FOR IVERSON IN NEW YORK CITY, PRESIDENT IVERSON MAKES THE ROUNDS WITH WEALTHY DONORS. IVERSON WALKS UP TO AN OLDER MAN WITH WHITE HAIR, SMOKING A LARGE CIGAR AND HOLDING A GLASS OF WINE IN HIS HAND.

Iverson: Well if it isn't Andrew Nicholson, Mayor of the biggest city in the world. Mr. Mayor, how wonderful to see you, sir.
Nicholson: Mr. President, it's a pleasure, and let me say I made a "wealthy" donation to your campaign.
Iverson: Thank you so much, Mayor, I greatly appreciate it.
Nicholson: Sure thing, Mr. President. This country has been through alot...hell...you have been through alot...
Iverson: Yes, yes, it's been rough.
Nicholson: But you and Vice President Quinn...you keep on leading us...stronger than ever before. You guys will continue to make America proud for the next four years.
Iverson: Yes, I sure hope so. Thank you, Mr. Mayor.

IVERSON WALKS OVER TO SENIOR POLITICAL ADVISOR BILL THOMAS.

Iverson: Hey Bill! How are you doing?
Thomas: Ah just mingling with the crowd.
Iverson: Really fits into the rich Republican stereotype, doesn't it?
Thomas: (chuckles) Well the wine is good and the hors d'oeuvres are tasty, atleast.
Iverson: Bill...do me a favor and fill me in...what's the latest? I haven't seen any news all day...
Thomas: Harris is trying the "smokefilled room" technique....he's driving Cordell batty...
Iverson: He has no shot but...it's the last thing the Democrats need.
Thomas: Sir, he's still trailing by 20 pts in polls even post-running mate announcement. I say the most he could make up during this convention is 10 pts, and that's IF Greg Harris backs down.
Iverson: I still have a bad feeling...my approval rating is slipping.
Thomas: Yes sir, but that is natural during a campaign. Look at all the famous campaigns...Richard Nixon wasn't overwhemlingly popular when he got re-elected...George W. Bush wasn't popular at all...sir I would not worry about the approval rating.
Iverson: Bill, it's just that concern, you know? Republicans have luck but all luck runs out...I mean we're pushing for 16 years here for God's Sake...I mean the last time Republicans had a shot at 16 years in the White House was 40 years ago and we didn't make it.
Thomas: I understand sir.
Iverson: The last time a party has held the White House more than 12 years was back during F.D.R. for crying out loud. We're talking doing something in American politics that hasn't been seen in a century!
Thomas: Sir, think positive. We have a great ground game, we have tons of campaign staff and offices, tons of money, we're popular ENOUGH, we have an overly significant lead in the polls and we are about to have a convention in a few weeks that will boost you and Vice President Quinn into September riding high. Then it's just the debates and we're home free.
Iverson: I suppose you're right, Bill. Let's go mingle. (laughs)

END SCENE
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2008, 02:29:12 PM »

Good so far.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2008, 05:17:42 AM »
« Edited: November 25, 2008, 04:58:58 AM by Reaganfan »

OPEN SCENE, TUESDAY MORNING, JULY 6TH, CAMPAIGN OFFICE, FAIRFAX, VIRGINIA. GOVERNOR CORDELL, FOLLOWING A RALLY, WATCHES A TELEVISION SET INSIDE CONFERENCE ROOM.

Reporter: So the situation today is that the convention is ready and prepared to formally nominated Cordell and Slade, but Senator Harris just released a statement saying quote, "I refuse to back down for the values I believe, and I fully intend to fight on and ask all delegates to consider wisely against the nomination of Governor John Cordell of Oklahoma as the nominee of the Democratic party" end quote. So again, Harris not backing down and while it's almost universally accepted among the convention and it's delegates that Harris has almost no shot at the nomination, it is still keeping what should be a celebratory atmosphere here in Houston. Back to you.

CORDELL SHUTS OFF THE TELEVISION, GRABS A METAL CHAIR AND THROWS IT AT THE WALL IN A FIT OF ANGER. STEVE KNOX WALKS IN THE ROOM.

Cordell: That co*ksucking bastard! He's killin' our convention!
Knox: John, take it easy.
Cordell: HOW THE F*** CAN I TAKE IT EASY WHEN THAT RAT IS TURNING THIS CONVENTION INTO 1968 ALL OVER AGAIN?
Knox: You're overreacting.
Cordell: OVERREACTING?

CORDELL GRABS A FOLDER OFF THE CONFERENCE TABLE AND HANDS IT TO KNOX.

Cordell: We're tied in Washington. We're behind in Maine. We're behind in Pennsylvania, Iowa, Ohio, Florida, Oklahoma, Virginia, Wisconsin, Minnesota, should I f***ing go on!? How can I be overreacting when we are losing this badly?
Knox: (pauses while looking at the numbers and looks up at Cordell) Call him.
Cordell: CALL WHO!?!
Knox: Harris.

BRIEF PERIOD OF SILENCE AS CORDELL SITS DOWN AT CONFERENCE TABLE, LIGHTS A CIGAR AND RECLINES.

Knox: Call him and tell him to back down.
Cordell: What if he says no?
Knox: Then offer him a cabinet position.
Cordell: Oh damn...the last thing I want his Greg Harris my cabinet.
Knox: It might be your only chance at convincing him to end this in reconciliation.
Cordell: (puffs on cigar) You may be right, Steve. You may be right...

SCENE SHIFTS TO CORDELL ON PHONE WITH HARRIS IN PRIVATE ROOM.

Cordell: Senator, for the good of our party, I ask you, please, step down and endorse the ticket.

(HARRIS IS IN OFFICE ON PHONE)

Harris: What's in it for me?
Cordell: (reluctantly) I'll...I'll offer you a cabinet position.
Harris: (chuckles) Governor, come on...you know what I really want.
Cordell: Come on Greg, take it or leave it.
Harris: Nah, I think I'll fight on...I actually like it...I think- (INTERRUPTED)
Cordell: NOW YOU LISTEN TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH...DO YOU THINK I HAVE FORGOTTEN ABOUT YOU AND YOUR SIXTEEN YEAR OLD LOVER? SON OF A BITCH YOU WON'T HAVE THE PRESIDENCY OR A CABINET POSITION OR YOUR SENATE OFFICE, ALL YOU'LL HAVE IS A F***ING NOOSE TO HANG YOURSELF WITH AFTER I GET THROUGH WITH YOU. NOW I ASK FOR THE FINAL TIME...BACK DOWN.
Harris: (sighs and looks down) You're one cold hearted son of a bitch, you know that Cordell.
Cordell: Yes or no, Senator.
Harris: You get your wish, bastard.

END SCENE

OPEN SCENE, TUESDAY NIGHT, JULY 6TH, DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION IN HOUSTON, TX. SENATOR GREG HARRIS WALKS ON STAGE TO GIVE AN INPROMPTU SPEECH. BOOS COME FROM THE CROWD. KNOX AND CORDELL SEE IT ON TELEVISION.

Knox: WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING?
Cordell: (sipping a vodka on rocks) He's saving his ass...and ours.

Harris: Thank you, all. I am here tonight to say that for the sake of party unity and the future direction of our great country, I am 100% behind Governor Cordell and Governor Slade and we're gonna help them go all the way to the White House!!

CROWD ERUPTS IN THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE AND CHEERS THAT LASTS ALMOST TWO MINUTES. CORDELL AND KNOX LOOK AT EACH OTHER IN ROOM.

Knox: How the hell did you get him to back off, John?
Cordell: Simple...I told him I had dirt on him.
Knox: Do you?
Cordell: Yep. (sips drink)

KNOX LOOKS AT CORDELL

Cordell: Oh Christ, Steve...every politician has some kind of skeleton. Hell, I offered him a cabinet position and he said no...so I told him I would go public with some affair he had back in the day.
Knox: As if we haven't heard enough about affairs this past week.
Cordell: The point is, he's out of the picture, and Vince and I are going to be formally nominated tonight.
Knox: I suppose it all works out.
Cordell: Sure. Tomorrow night, Vince gives his acceptance speech and then it's time for the biggie Thursday night.

END SCENE

WEDNESDAY, JULY 7TH, DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION - HOUSTON, TEXAS. IOWA DEMOCRATIC SENATOR LEWIS STARKLEY, MIDDLE AGED, GRAY HAIR, WALKS UP TO THE MIC.

Starkley: Ladies and gentlemen, delegates, fellow Americans, it is with a great honor and privilege that I introduce to you, the next Vice President of the United States of America, Governor Vince Slade of the great state of Michigan!

CROWD CHEERS WILDLY AS GOVERNOR SLADE WALKS ONTO PODIUM. CORDELL WATCHES ON A TELEVISION FROM A HOTEL ROOM IN ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI. HE AND HIS WIFE LESLIE AND DAUGHTER ASHLEY ARE EATING HAMBURGERS FROM A FAST FOOD RESTAURANT.

Cordell: (mouthful chewing) You know, Leslie...this burger is great.
Leslie: (chewing) Yes it is.
Cordell: What was that place called again?
Leslie: Crazy Pete's Burgers.
Cordell: Well then I'm making Crazy Pete my health and human services secretary! (laughs)
Leslie: (laughs) Look at that reception Vince is getting in Houston!
Cordell: (still eating burger) Yep...they love him. I doubt Dunham or Fine would have gotten quite that reception.
Ashley: Daddy, how's your shake?
Cordell: Pretty good, sweetie.
Ashley: What kind is it?
Cordell: Strawberry. The shake, the burger and Vince Slade's reception are really hitting the spot. (chuckles)

ON TELEVISION:

Slade: My fellow delegates, it is with great pride that I proudly and enthusiastically accept your nomination to be Vice President of the United States!

CROWD ERUPTS IN HUGE CHEERS.

Cordell: (watching) It can still happen....

END SCENE
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2008, 09:14:09 AM »

Oh gosh, I want a cheeseburger now.

Also, you misspelled "health" as "heath" for health and human services.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »

Oh gosh, I want a cheeseburger now.

Also, you misspelled "health" as "heath" for health and human services.

Thanks Wink

Yeah...it was like 4 or 5am I wrote that...and I was craving a big ole' hamburger. Infact...I still am...maybe that is why I wrote it in....
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2008, 05:30:03 PM »

So, did Harris end up getting offered a Cabinet post after that exchange?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2008, 05:34:43 PM »

So, did Harris end up getting offered a Cabinet post after that exchange?

It's up in the air...but we do know he backed down.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2008, 10:08:43 AM »

SCENE OPENS WITH NEWSREPORT

Reporter: Tonight, expectations are running very high among delegates as well as party leaders who desperately want to regain control of the White House which has been in Republican hands for the last 12 years. Again, Governor John Cordell of Oklahoma will in just a few short hours, face the delegates here in the convention hall, accept the nomination of the Democratic Party, and then begin four months of vigorous campaigning and debating against President Jack Iverson. Back to you guys in the studio...

SCENE SHIFTS IN ROOM IN THE WHITE HOUSE AS PRESIDENT IVERSON WATCHES THE TELEVISION WITH HIS WIFE JEANNE.

Iverson: We'll nail him hard at the convention in September...he lacks foreign policy experience.
Jeanne: He doesn't seem to be running on foreign policy, Jack.
Iverson: Exactly...he's ignoring the issue. Democrats are always doing that. We could be in the middle of World War III, hell some say we are, and you'll go up to a Democrat and they'll begin talking to you about education reform.
Jeanne: (chuckles) You were talking about education reform at that school in Kansas last month, honey.
Iverson: Of course I was, education is an important issue...but when we have this Holy War that's been going on for thousands of years...tribal killings...beheadings...bombings....
Jeanne: It's a scary world and you have a hair trigger.
Iverson: Hell yes. I mean things have been quiet for too long. This always happens. Our enemies act up and shock everyone, then we don't see one of them do so much as squash a bug in our country for over a decade, and then bam...there they are. And Jeanne baby, people forget. I mean imagine if this happened back in the 1950s. Something big occurs in 1955...the next time it happens is 1972. Completely different times, different social and cultural issues...and yet that very same enemy. We can't let our guard down. One blip two years ago has awakened my dormant sense of security and I know I have that security the American people can trust.
Jeanne: Cordell seems to imply he does...
Iverson: Cordell seems to imply that he wants to "change"
Jeanne: (chuckles)
Iverson: (laughs) Oh man I need a break.
Jeanne: Later tonight, I'll make you a drink and you can come to bed and relax.
Iverson: Where's Rachel?
Jeanne: With her friends.
Iverson: Oh jeez, Jeanne...you let her out by herself!?
Jeanne: She's 17 years old and trust me...she's alright. She only has about 100 secret service agents following her.
Iverson: I suppose I always have that hair trigger.
Jeanne: Sometimes that is a good thing (chuckles)

END SCENE

OPEN SCENE, THURSDAY, JULY 8TH - DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION, HOUSTON, TX. CROWD HAS WILD CHEERS AND APPLAUSE AS YOUTHFUL RHODE ISLAND SENATOR ROGER PULLMAN STEPS UP TO THE MICROPHONE.

Pullman: Ladies and Gentlemen of the Convention, we sure have one heck of a show for you tonight!

Iverson: (watching on TV) Pussies can't even say hell. (snickers)

Pullman: Tonight is the night that we will show America why we are finally bringing real leadership back to Washington, D.C. by making John Cordell and Vince Slade the next President and Vice President of the United States!

CROWD WILDLY CHEERS

Pullman: In my great state of Rhode Island, people know...people know the heartache that Iverson/Quinn has bestowed upon the Middle Class in this country. People know that Iverson and Quinn do not care about the hard working people of this country as much as they care about the rich and powerful. Ladies and Gentlemen, the man I am about to introduce understands the needs of hard working Americans. He understands the type of change America needs. Join me for a moment to watch this magnificent video on the man we all admire and will soon call Mr. President, John Cordell.

CROWD APPLAUDS AS LIGHTS DIM IN CONVENTION HALL, DNC VIDEO PLAYS. PICTURES SHOW A YOUNG JOHN CORDELL IN RURAL OKLAHOMA IN THE 1980s.

(BACK AT WHITE HOUSE)

Thomas: Mr. President, sorry I'm late, has Cordell's speech begun yet?
Iverson: No Bill, they're doing the video thing first.
Thomas: Ah, I see.
Iverson: He's trying to pull the Southern good ole' boy vote.
Thomas: Yeah, he's running pretty strong in his homestate of Oklahoma.
Iverson: Yeah well, as long as we expand the electoral map in the Northwest and the Northeast...we should be fine.
Thomas: Yes sir, I think we have an exceptionally good shot at Oregon and Washington this time.
Iverson: Yep, I'm headed to Portland for a rally next week. I figure we can afford to lose some Southern States, like Oklahoma and North Carolina...as long as we make it up.
Thomas: I'm in agreement, sir. Oh look...here he comes.

(BACK TO CONVENTION)

Pullman: Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my pleasure to introduce to you...the next President of the United States....Governor John W. Cordell of the great state of Oklahoma!

CROWD ERUPTS IN THUNDEROUS CHEERS AS CORDELL WALKS ONTO THE STAGE. CORDELL WAVES TO THE LARGE AUDIENCE AND STEPS TO THE MICROPHONE.

Cordell: Thank you, Thank you all!

CROWD ERUPTS LOUDER, THIS CONTINUES FOR A SOLID THREE MINUTES.

Cordell: Let me start off by tellin' all you folks that I PROUDLY ACCEPT YOUR NOMINATION TO BE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!

CROWD ERUPTS INTO CHEERS

Cordell: When I was a boy growing up in Binger, Oklahoma in the 1980s, my mama always told me to try my best in everything I ever do in my life. I've tried my best at several things. I've tried to be the best husband I can, the best father, the best Governor of a state I love so dearly. Let me be the first one to admit, my best hasn't been great everytime. But I always look forward...keep my chin out...keep fighting for what I believe in...what I know is truly and morally right. I always try to give everything my all. Tonight, I am pledging to the American people...if you allow me the honor of serving as your next President, I will put you first always and always give you my all....AND YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK!

CROWD CHEERS AND APPLAUDS, BACKSTAGE CORDELL'S WIFE LESLIE TEARS UP.

AT THE WHITE HOUSE, PRESIDENT IVERSON WATCHES THE SPEECH WITH ADVISOR BILL THOMAS.

Iverson: He sure gives a southern comfort speech, doesn't he, Bill?
Thomas: Yes sir, he does.

BACK TO CONVENTION

Cordell: In closing, I understand the challenges America faces. I understand the average American. I also understand that America wants a President who has an understanding of the wants and needs of the average American...and that is why I am running. I AM ASKING EACH AND EVERY AMERICAN TO RISE UP AND HELP ME HELP YOU IN THIS QUEST TO REVITALIZE OUR COUNTRY AND FIX ALL OF OUR PROBLEMS! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

CROWD CHEERS WILDLY AS "AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL" BEGINS TO PLAY. CONFETTI AND BALLOONS FALL AS CORDELL, HIS WIFE AND DAUGHTER, WAVE TO THE CROWD ALONG WITH VINCE SLADE, HIS WIFE LISA, AND TWO TWIN TEN YEAR OLD SONS KURT AND VINCE JR.

CORDELL AND SLADE INTERLOCK HANDS.

END SCENE
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »

SCENE OPENS SEVEN WEEKS LATER, LATE AUGUST. GOVERNOR CORDELL SITS ON A POOL CHAIR, WIFE LESLIE AND DAUGHTER ASHLEY SWIM. HE PICKS UP A TIME MAGAZINE WITH A PICTURE OF PRESIDENT IVERSON AND VICE PRESIDENT QUINN ON THE COVERAGE. IT READS - REPUBLICAN CONVENTION ARRIVES IN ST. LOUIS.

Cordell: Hey hun?
Leslie: (swimming) Yeah, babe?
Cordell: You think Iverson is a handsome guy?
Leslie: Sure, I think he's alright...not as handsome as...
Cordell: STOP...no need to butter me up.
Leslie: ...well I was gonna say not as handsome as Vince Slade.
Cordell: (jokingly) WHY YOU!

CORDELL JUMPS IN THE POOL AND SPLASHES LESLIE. ASHLEY, ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE POOL, LAUGHS.

END SCENE

SCENE OPENS - SEPTEMBER 2ND - REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION - ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI. PENNSYLVANIA SENATOR NICK ALPENSI IS INTRODUCING THE PRESIDENT.

Alpensi: He is a man of strength, determination, resolve...he is a man that never waivers, never backs down...he is the man we all love and admire...the 48th President of the United States of America...PRESIDENT JACKSON PAUL IVERSON!

CROWD GOES WILD AS PRESIDENT IVERSON WALKS ONTO STAGE. APPLAUSE LASTS TWO MINUTES.

Iverson: Ladies and Gentlemen of the Convention, it is with a great sense of responsibility that I ACCEPT YOUR NOMINATION FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!

CROWD GOES WILD ONCE AGAIN. SHIFT TO CORDELL CABIN, CORDELL AND LESLIE WATCH SPEECH.

Cordell: He always has to make it sound so serious...why can't he loosen up?
Leslie: Well John, it's a big thing.
Cordell: I know that Leslie, I've been there.

PHONE RINGS

Cordell: (on phone) Yeah?
Knox: (on phone) John...we have a serious problem...I need to see you at the Governor's Mansion NOW.
Cordell: Can it wait, Steve? I'm sittin' here drinkin' an iced tea and watchin' Iverson's speech.
Knox: Sir...it's Victoria Neil.

CORDELL FREEZES WHILE HOLDING THE PHONE

Cordell: (voice cracking) What...what's the problem?
Knox: She committed suicide, sir.

CORDELL'S FACE IS STUNNED. HE HANGS UP THE PHONE, JUMPS OUT OF BED, AND RUSHES OUT THE DOOR.

Leslie: John....John what the hell is going on?!
Cordell: JUST SOME CAMPAIGN WORK, I GOTTA GO SEE STEVE AT THE OFFICE.
Leslie: Will..will you be home?
Cordell: Yeah yeah...I'll be back.

CORDELL LEAVES, LESLIE LOOKS PUZZLED.

SHIFT SCENE TO GOVERNOR'S MANSION, OKLAHOMA CITY. CORDELL AND KNOX STAND IN THE OFFICE, CORDELL HOLDS A CIGAR AND A GLASS OF SCOTCH ON THE ROCKS. KNOX POURS HIMSELF A GLASS OF SCOTCH.

Cordell: (somber) Alright, Steven. Fill me in.
Knox: She overdosed on sleeping pills.
Cordell: Jesus Christ.
Knox: She left a note.
Cordell: (takes a sip of scotch) What did it say, Steven?
Knox: She blamed you, sir.

CORDELL, SHOCKED BUT SOMBER AND SEEMINGLY UNPHASED, FINISHES THE ENTIRE GLASS OF SCOTCH AND POURS ANOTHER. HE SITS DOWN IN HIS CHAIR.

Cordell: How long until the public finds out?
Knox: I'd say within an hour or so.
Cordell: I'm in deep sh**t, aren't I?
Knox: Not if you keep your head up. I say, as soon as it is known to the public...go out there...give another Press Conference like you did last Spring. Say how sorry you were that Victoria was sick, but that her fantasies of you and her being a couple and her suicide were not directly connected to you. It's your best shot, sir.
Cordell: I suppose so.

END SCENE

SCENE OPENS - SEPTEMBER 3RD - PRESS CONFERENCE, OKLAHOMA CITY

Cordell: I wanted to touch on the tragic suicide of my former Secretary, Victoria Neil. Victoria was a warm person, very pleasant, and it is a tragic loss to see her go. May she rest in peace.
Reporter: GOVERNOR, ANY COMMENT ON HER SUICIDE NOTE WHICH MENTIONED YOU?
Cordell: Well, like I said, she was my secretary and everyone knows the past concerning us. If she had mental problems, that is something I truly wish she could have been treated for, and it is a tragic loss, very tragic.
Reporter: GOVERNOR...WHAT ABOUT-
Cordell: Thank you, that's all I have to say on the matter...let's get back to this campaign!

CORDELL LOOKS AT KNOX, WHO RETURNS A CONFIDENT NOD.

END SCENE

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2008, 09:10:49 AM »

NEWSREPORT OPEN

Reporter: Despite the setback for the Cordell campaign involving the recent suicide of Cordell's former secretary and mistress Victoria Neil, Governor Cordell and Governor Slade continue to run strong and fight hard at their rallies. Governor Cordell spoke today at a rally in Bismark, North Dakota.
Cordell: (at rally) I know many people may say a Democrat can't win North Dakota...but I'm willing to bet a good ole' Oklahoma boy like me might just be able to pull it off! (CROWD CHEERS)
Reporter: Meanwhile, Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee Vince Slade rallied a large crowd in Tampa, Florida.
Slade: Governor Cordell and I have the vision to lead this country, to strengthen our economy, to create more jobs and improve education for all. That's our vision, and that is what we intend to do! (CROWD CHEERS)
Reporter: In the meantime, President Iverson was campaigning hard at a rally in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Iverson lost Pennsylvania four years ago, and hopes to win it in an increasing close election battle.

TELEVISION SHUTS OFF, PRESIDENT IVERSON STANDS IN ROOM AT WHITE HOUSE ALONG WITH VICE PRESIDENT QUINN, AND SENIOR POLITICAL ADVISOR BILL THOMAS.

Iverson: Where to next, Bill?
Thomas: Sir, we will have rallies all the way through the next week leading up to the debate on September 22nd.
Iverson: I spoke to my campaign chairman Jerry Broudfeld, and we're making a stop in California. We figure we might as well try and scare the Cordell campaign.
Thomas: Cordell has been steadily gaining in the upper midwest, and he's leading in his homestate of Oklahoma.
Iverson: What kind of ad buys do we have?
Thomas: We've got a national security ad playing in 45 states, and we have an anti-Cordell ad playing in 30 states.
Quinn: What kind of anti-Cordell ad?
Thomas: Inexperienced for national security.
Iverson: Sounds good, sounds good. I wanna be sure to prep hard for the debate next week.
Thomas: Sure thing. Who will be playing Governor Cordell?
Iverson: Broudfeld tells me that Mike Tank will be playing Cordell in the prep.
Thomas: Mike Tank? He sounds like the perfect type of guy to play Cordell. Feisty, full of vigor. Cordell is one hell of a debater, Mr. President.
Iverson: Yep, I'm well aware.
Quinn: I'll be fine against Slade, he was in Congress but he really doesn't seem to be all that great regarding national security.
Thomas: Mr. Vice President, Mr. President, I'm sure both of you will be just fine.
Iverson: Thanks Tom.

END SCENE

OPEN SCENE, BACKSTAGE FROM PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE, VIRGINIA TECH UNIVERSITY. GOVERNOR CORDELL LOOKS IN A MIRROR AS STEVE KNOX STANDS NEARBY.

Cordell: (anxious) I'm a good debater...but Iverson is pretty good himself.
Knox: Not really, John.
Cordell: What do you mean not really?
Knox: Moon pretty much beat him to a pulp four years ago in those debates.
Cordell: I suppose you may be right...but after four years as President...all he went through...he may be more prepped.
Knox: He used Mike Tank for debate prep.
Cordell: To be truthful, that was a pretty good choice for preparation. I thought Les was good as the President, too.
Knox: Governor Dunham played a very good Iverson.
Cordell: Yeah, he did. Even had that arrogant swagger down-pat. (chuckles)
Knox: (laughs) Look, John. Just go out there and be honest and real. Look strong. America loves a strong leader.
Cordell: That's true, Steve. I have to go out there with the stature of Reagan, the coolness of Obama, the folksiness of Bush, and I suppose I could do some of those Clintonesque hand gestures.
Knox: (chuckles) That's about it, Governor. Just be sure not to pull an Al Gore and sigh or sweat like Nixon and you should be alright.

SCENE SHIFTS TO PRESIDENT IVERSON AND FIRST LADY JEANNE IVERSON BACKSTAGE FROM DEBATE. JEANNE STRAIGHTENS THE PRESIDENT'S TIE.

Jeanne: You nervous?
Iverson: A little.
Jeanne: You're so cute when you're nervous. (chuckles)
Iverson: You know...sometimes I wake up and for a moment I think I'm lying in our bed back in Duluth at our lakeside home....back in the early 20s when I was first running for Governor.
Jeanne: Oh that was a beautiful house, Jack.
Iverson: Rachel was only eight years old...we used to look out over the lake and talk about how it all linked up with the Atlantic...
Jeanne: Yep, yep...a decade gone by...
Iverson: Then of course it hits me, that I'm the President of the United States.
Jeanne: Just go out there and give it your all, Jack. I know you can do it. (kisses Jack)
Iverson: Thanks honey.

END SCENE

SCENE OPENS, MODERATOR OPENS DEBATE.

Moderator: I welcome you to the first of three Presidential debates between the Republican nominee, President Jack Iverson of Minnesota and the Democratic Nominee, Governor John Cordell of Oklahoma. We are here at Virginia Tech University in Blacksburg, Virginia, and the debate is sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates. Tonight's debate will be 90 minutes long and will cover the U.S. Economy. The crowd will remain quiet, except for now, as we introduce the two candidates, Governor Cordell and President Iverson.

CROWD CHEERS AND APPLAUDES AS GOVERNOR CORDELL WALKS OUT FROM THE LEFT, AND PRESIDENT IVERSON WALKS IN FROM THE RIGHT. BOTH MEN SMILE AND SHAKE HANDS.

Cordell: (whispering to Iverson) Good luck, you're gonna need it.
Iverson: (whispering to Cordell) You just watch your own back, Johnboy.

THE HAND SHAKE TIGHTENS IN ANGER AND BOTH MEN GO TO THE PODIUMS WITH FAKE SMILES.

Moderator: The first question as determined by a coin toss will go to President Iverson, and you will have two minutes for a response. Mr. President, unemployment in this country has increased by 1.5% in the last six months. What do you think has caused this rise in unemployment and what, if re-elected, do you intend on doing about the problem?
Iverson: Well thank you for moderating this debate, and I wanna take, thank, those who are watching and yes also thank Virginia Tech University for hosting this debate. I believe- and Governor Cordell also, thank you. I believe the rise in unemployment in this country is very troubling, especially for all those hard working American families who try to buy things and keep a roof over their families' head. I believe the way to fix the problem is to cut taxes for all Americans...not just the rich...not just the poor...but every American so that they can take that money, invest and save and help create more jobs and opportunities. The problem is serious but the solutions are simple, and if I am re-elected, I will get unemployment back down again.
Moderator: Governor Cordell, one minute rebuttal.
Cordell: Well, Mr. President, you may believe that cutting people's taxes will help our economy, and you may be right. But unemployment is a different story. We have to put more opportunity out there, create new jobs by fixing our infrastructure. Lower taxes and economic growth won't create more jobs and fix unemployment. I know many middle class families back home in Oklahoma who battle day after day to pay for food, gas, electric bills...they are hurtin' and we have to fix things for them. Governor Slade and I will come into the White House with a clear vision for rebuilding jobs in America, stimulating our economy, and investing in people. That's why I am runnin' for President, and that's why I trust the American people will allow me the honor to serve as President.

SCENE SHIFTS TO POST DEBATE NEWSPAPER HEADLINE: "IVERSON AND CORDELL DEBATE A DRAW".

END SCENE
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2008, 01:49:54 AM »

Again, I like it, but I think you're forcing the historical references, like this:

NEWSREPORT OPEN
Cordell: That's true, Steve. I have to go out there with the stature of Reagan, the coolness of Obama, the folksiness of Bush, and I suppose I could do some of those Clintonesque hand gestures.
Knox: (chuckles) That's about it, Governor. Just be sure not to pull an Al Gore and sigh or sweat like Nixon and you should be alright.

Also, was this meant to be a mis-speak on Iverson's part, or was it a typo?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies