"Cordell for President" - Political Story (COMMENTS WELCOME)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:05:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  "Cordell for President" - Political Story (COMMENTS WELCOME)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: "Cordell for President" - Political Story (COMMENTS WELCOME)  (Read 20645 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2008, 03:13:11 AM »

See - in the end, everybody wins.  Iverson will stay President.  And Cordell realizes his personal flaws.  It's like the perfect world.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2008, 03:14:42 AM »

The ending is a bit abrupt, although it does serve it's purpose... Overall pretty good effort.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2008, 10:55:52 AM »

See - in the end, everybody wins.  Iverson will stay President.  And Cordell realizes his personal flaws.  It's like the perfect world.

When I began writing this story a few weeks back, my original intention was obviously for Cordell, an extremely unlikely and flawed candidate, to eventually win the election and go on to be President. However, once I wrote the Democratic Convention part of the story...it struck me that to the reader's eye (in the story it would be the American voter), Cordell is an unknown, crooked, arrogant, and flawed candidate, while President Iverson, despite sagging popularity, is seen as a durable, strong and likeable leader. I think that despite the story revolving around Cordell, the reader has a better grasp of Iverson and his wife than they do Cordell and his wife. So, I decided that Cordell's story would be the loss of a flawed candidate....not a victory. Most people I'm sure, even myself, followed this story with the general thinking that Cordell would end up winning the election and go on to become President. You know, "Primary Colors" type stuff.

But I pulled the old "Sixth Sense" routine of "the reader sees what they wanna see". The reader wanted to see what was obvious...Cordell gaining...Cordell coming out and acknowledging his skeletons...Cordell giving a rousing speech and patching up his family life. You see polls tightening and a very nervous President Iverson, Cordell's good debate performance and the general expectation that Cordell could end up winning. But what really happened...what the reader "didn't want to see"... was that despite all that...Cordell was still a flawed candidate that nobody expected to be Iverson's opponent...who had numerous scandals and was seen as pompous, arrogant man. On the other hand, Jack Iverson was seen as a decent President, still pretty well liked who ran a decent campaign during generally prosperous times.

Realistic result? A landslide re-election for the President.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2009, 08:21:53 PM »

Excellent Story....

I supported Cordell up until the sex sting, then supported Iverson.

Keep writing more! Your talented!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies