"White Flight" in the Jackson MSA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:06:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  "White Flight" in the Jackson MSA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "White Flight" in the Jackson MSA  (Read 12206 times)
David S
Junior Chimp

« on: September 19, 2004, 01:57:37 PM »
« edited: September 19, 2004, 05:18:26 PM by David S »

Compare population figures and election results in Hinds and Madison counties (MS) between 1976 and 2000

Anyone got a better example of the political effects of "White Flight"?

I know their has been "white flight" from Baltimore City since 1964 but I don't know if it has had any affect on how Democratic the city is. Although I do know the quality of life has declined as well as the asthetic beauty. Mostly because ghetto people don't care about improving their neighborhoods.

The same thing happened to Detroit. The city is close to 90% African American now. The Detroit vote goes heavily Democratic.

The change that has occurred there in the last 40 years is shocking. Once well cared for neighborhoods are now in shambles. Talking a walk down the street would be a dangerous thing to do now. Many houses have bars on the windows, something rarely seem in the suburbs. The high school my wife attended there 35 years ago was very nice then, but today it is in constant need of repair because of vandalism.

This is a terrible problem facing many cities. To be honest I don't know the answer to it, but pouring more money into it is not an  answer.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 11:06:29 PM »

I came across this site while doing a little internet research for this post. The site shows some of the more blighted areas of Detroit. Before You go there I should warn you that whoever put this website together is pretty racist. Also I don't know if his statistics are correct. But the pictures do depict many areas of Detroit that have seen white flight.
http://www.stormfront.org/whitehistory/hwrdet4a.htm

Not all of Detroit is like this. There are some nice places.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies