"White Flight" in the Jackson MSA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:27:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  "White Flight" in the Jackson MSA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "White Flight" in the Jackson MSA  (Read 12226 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« on: September 19, 2004, 10:17:43 AM »

Compare population figures and election results in Hinds and Madison counties (MS) between 1976 and 2000

Anyone got a better example of the political effects of "White Flight"?

I know their has been "white flight" from Baltimore City since 1964 but I don't know if it has had any affect on how Democratic the city is. Although I do know the quality of life has declined as well as the asthetic beauty. Mostly because ghetto people don't care about improving their neighborhoods.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 10:24:33 AM »

Compare population figures and election results in Hinds and Madison counties (MS) between 1976 and 2000

I know their has been "white flight" from Baltimore City since 1964 but I don't know if it has had any affect on how Democratic the city is. Although I do know the quality of life has declined as well as the asthetic beauty. Mostly because ghetto people don't care about improving their neighborhoods.

Well, when you are under constant threat of crime, as well as in extreme poverty, the aesthetic beauty of your neighborhood tends to not be your first priority.

I believe that if you try to prevent your neighborhood from falling into shambles it will help prevent crime. Awareness leads to safety.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 10:35:53 AM »

Well, when you are under constant threat of crime, as well as in extreme poverty, the aesthetic beauty of your neighborhood tends to not be your first priority.

I believe that if you try to prevent your neighborhood from falling into shambles it will help prevent crime. Awareness leads to safety.

I would agree, but such solutions can't come from the people themselves, because they have too many other things to worry about, like simply trying to stay alive. It has to come from someone who has the resources along with the creativity to make it happen. Whether that comes from government or the private sector is irrelevant, but to blame the individuals for not caring when they have far bigger problems is not the right solution.

Simple mantienance can prevent long term destruction. For example, if I am having some money problems and neglect to mow my yard and the grass is 3 foot high. Should it then become someone elses problem to take care of or am I, as a property owner, still responsible for the land? Many neighborhoods dont even have associations or watches and that leads to a lot of problems as well.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 06:44:44 PM »

White flight is virtually universal in the US, facilitated by the Interstate Highway boondoggle.  The upper middle working class has imprisoned itself in the automobile to avoid contact with blacks.  

I have noticed since I've lived in the deep south that the situation is a LOT different here. I live in a mixed neighborhood of whites, mexicans, and some blacks. Everyone is very friendly with each other and we even bring plates of food to each others houses when relatives die. When I grew up in Baltimore if you were white, you'd be deathly afraid to walk down the streets of some black neighborhoods. I feel comfortable going into any neighborhood around here or in Tampa. Exclude Miami of course, that town is terrible.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 08:36:37 AM »

Are you trying to tell me that the 'ghetto' is exclusively not white? The way that comment was phrased ALMOST sounds racist in nature.

The majority of those who live in broke down poor inner cities are black. Its usually about 70-80%. YOU GO TO BALTIMORE CITY AND WHO ME ALL THESE WHITE PEOPLE LIVING IN THE GHETTO, OK? Get a clue. Just because you can't accept that fact does NOT make it racist.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 05:34:36 PM »

I'm not trying to stifle debate here, but c'mon, do you really understand what the "ghetto" is really like?  Have you ever really talked with anybody who lives here?

It really a lot better than the media lets on.

If you've ever spent time in the heart of Baltimore City. Not the nice inner harbor, then you would know what 'the hood' is all about. I would not even bet any white person (for fear of their life) to walk down North Avenue at 11pm.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 06:09:26 PM »

I'm not trying to stifle debate here, but c'mon, do you really understand what the "ghetto" is really like?  Have you ever really talked with anybody who lives here?

If you've ever spent time in the heart of Baltimore City. Not the nice inner harbor, then you would know what 'the hood' is all about. I would not even bet any white person (for fear of their life) to walk down North Avenue at 11pm.

I have walked down the streets of North Philadelphia (Broad and Erie in Nicetown, Girard in Brewerytown) late at night many times.  A spot on NBC News on the lifting of the assault weapon ban was filmed three blocks from my house, with the implication that these were the "bad areas."  It's not.  This is just paranoia.

Do any of the people posting actually know anybody from the "'hood?"  Ever sat down and talked with us, visited them at home, socialized with us.  I think you might be pleasantly suprised.  We're not all that bad, really.

Yes I spent 20 years in the hood. I know EXACTLY what it's like to live there and EXACTLY what those hoodlums are like. That's why I left.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 07:35:33 PM »

Tell them to quit whining about being "oppressed" and the other such foolishness and maybe blacks in this country can finally get somewhere. Sad but true. I don't see the Jewish/Irish or other formerly oppressed groups running around crying every chance they get about how 'the man' did them wrong. Suck it up, get over it and move on!!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 07:40:18 PM »

Tell them to quit whining about being "oppressed" and the other such foolishness and maybe blacks in this country can finally get somewhere. Sad but true. I don't see the Jewish/Irish or other formerly oppressed groups running around crying every chance they get about how 'the man' did them wrong. Suck it up, get over it and move on!!

And you have not heard me say it either.  I fankly don't know too many people in the 'hood that say that.  The only ones that I have are funded by Soris.

I have heard it over and over again. Believe me. Its not so bad in the south as it is farther north. The people around here get along fairly well. Big urban areas such as Miami/Orlando is where you get the problems.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 11:21:43 AM »

Sad but true. Unreasonable fear for their lives. Drummed in by TV.

No. I grew up very close to that neighborhood. Believe me it's NOT unreasonable. Plus I have several relatives who were B.C. police officers. Even the police are scared to go into some neighborhoods.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies