"White Flight" in the Jackson MSA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:53:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  "White Flight" in the Jackson MSA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "White Flight" in the Jackson MSA  (Read 12225 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: September 22, 2004, 07:20:58 AM »

Well, in a sense that's true...
"White Flight", which exists elsewhere but is nowhere as bad as in the US, is a prime cause of the ghetto.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 07:51:15 AM »

"White Flight", which exists elsewhere but is nowhere as bad as in the US, is a prime cause of the ghetto.

In France they have an interesting variation: build hideous ghetto's just outside City Limits
Yes, but most of these places were first populated by Whites. Often forcibly moved out there in the 60's from inner city Paris slums earmarked for destruction...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 09:20:51 AM »

In France they have an interesting variation: build hideous ghetto's just outside City Limits

This is preferable - the well off get to live in convenient areas.  In America one's reward for making more money is spending more time in the prison of the automobile.  In general.
I kind of knew you'd say that...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 06:54:54 AM »

I'm not trying to stifle debate here, but c'mon, do you really understand what the "ghetto" is really like?  Have you ever really talked with anybody who lives here?

It really a lot better than the media lets on.

If you've ever spent time in the heart of Baltimore City. Not the nice inner harbor, then you would know what 'the hood' is all about. I would not even bet any white person (for fear of their life) to walk down North Avenue at 11pm.
Sad but true. Unreasonable fear for their lives. Drummed in by TV.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 11:02:13 AM »

I'm not trying to stifle debate here, but c'mon, do you really understand what the "ghetto" is really like?  Have you ever really talked with anybody who lives here?

It really a lot better than the media lets on.

If you've ever spent time in the heart of Baltimore City. Not the nice inner harbor, then you would know what 'the hood' is all about. I would not even bet any white person (for fear of their life) to walk down North Avenue at 11pm.
Sad but true. Unreasonable fear for their lives. Drummed in by TV.

No. I grew up very close to that neighborhood. Believe me it's NOT unreasonable. Plus I have several relatives who were B.C. police officers. Even the police are scared to go into some neighborhoods.
But then, the police see every single blue-collar crime, losing sight of the big picture. And of course, the way they all too often behave, they'd better be afraid. Just like gangsters are afraid of the police - they have a reason to.
Let's face it: "Crime is a young minority male phenomenon" is about as true on the victim's side as the other one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies