"White Flight" in the Jackson MSA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:37:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  "White Flight" in the Jackson MSA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "White Flight" in the Jackson MSA  (Read 12201 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« on: September 19, 2004, 10:23:08 AM »

Compare population figures and election results in Hinds and Madison counties (MS) between 1976 and 2000

Anyone got a better example of the political effects of "White Flight"?
I know their has been "white flight" from Baltimore City since 1964 but I don't know if it has had any affect on how Democratic the city is. Although I do know the quality of life has declined as well as the asthetic beauty. Mostly because ghetto people don't care about improving their neighborhoods.

Well, when you are under constant threat of crime, as well as in extreme poverty, the aesthetic beauty of your neighborhood tends to not be your first priority.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 10:31:40 AM »

Compare population figures and election results in Hinds and Madison counties (MS) between 1976 and 2000

Anyone got a better example of the political effects of "White Flight"?
I know their has been "white flight" from Baltimore City since 1964 but I don't know if it has had any affect on how Democratic the city is. Although I do know the quality of life has declined as well as the asthetic beauty. Mostly because ghetto people don't care about improving their neighborhoods.

Well, when you are under constant threat of crime, as well as in extreme poverty, the aesthetic beauty of your neighborhood tends to not be your first priority.

I believe that if you try to prevent your neighborhood from falling into shambles it will help prevent crime. Awareness leads to safety.

I would agree, but such solutions can't come from the people themselves, because they have too many other things to worry about, like simply trying to stay alive. It has to come from someone who has the resources along with the creativity to make it happen. Whether that comes from government or the private sector is irrelevant, but to blame the individuals for not caring when they have far bigger problems is not the right solution.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 10:46:14 AM »

I agree, though I would assume that a large percentage of those who live in such areas rent and do not own their own homes. Most of those who are in dire poverty are obviously not able to afford to be a property owner.

I would also agree that enforcement of regulations about the height of grass and such would definitely help.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 03:24:40 AM »

I would agree, but such solutions can't come from the people themselves, because they have too many other things to worry about, like simply trying to stay alive. It has to come from someone who has the resources along with the creativity to make it happen. Whether that comes from government or the private sector is irrelevant, but to blame the individuals for not caring when they have far bigger problems is not the right solution.

I spent the majority of my first 22 years of life growing up in a neighborhood that was 95% black.  So trust me when I tell you that most poor people in America are poor because they are fools.  They constantly make choices that perpetuate their poverty and it carries over into the appearance of their homes (and thus their neighborhoods).

We had no more money than anyone else on our block.  But we made sure the grass in our yard was cut and our trees and shrubs were trimmed.  We refused government help because we understood it would make us dependent.  We instead invested in ourselves and made choices to better ourselves.  And now my whole family (my parents, my three bothers, and myself) are out of poverty.

I also have grown up in a very poor area. We don't have the violence that is seen in the cities, and almost everyone here is white, but I can tell you for a fact that while we do have some of the problems you have seen, most people simply cannot get ahead because they cannot get good quality jobs, and they can't afford to move to someplace where they can get one.

I completely agree that government needs to enfoce regulations on lawn mowing and the like, and take a more active role in urban revitalization.

I completely agree with you on personal responsibility. People have to take responsibility for their lives, and their own actions.

However, that is often not enough. There are often not jobs available for people to get that they are qualified for. In order to get qualified, they have to go to college. This costs money, and also requires time to be able to attend classes, which these people often do not have an abundance of due to having to work long hours simply to make ends almost meet.

In addition, if they had a poor childhood, they may not have been equipped with the ability to take full advantage of their childhood. Yes, ultimately the answer is good parenting. But in the meantime, we have to do something for those people who aren't fortunate enough to have good parents, or else we can't break out of the cycle.

Your neighborhood is not at all necesarily representative of all of America, by any means. Most black people and poor people in general that I have dealt with have been extremely hard working, knowledgeable indivduals, but there are simply not the jobs nor the education availble to them to allow them to get ahead.

We can't help the poor get ahead by simply assuming that they must be lazy if they can't make it. If we continue to turn our backs on them and refuse to give a helping hand for those who are responsible enough to be able to utilize it effectively, we won't turn around these neighborhoods. Instead of playing off of racial divisiveness, people of both sides of the racial divide need to set it aside and focus on what they can do to make these neighborhoods better.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 06:36:32 PM »

Nym90,

Illegals crossing the boarder have no trouble finding jobs.  Why?  Because they are willing to work!

90% of the poor people I have been in contact with (whether they are black, white, brown...live in the city or country) are IGNORANT.

Everyone probably goes broke at least once in their lives, but to be in a constant state of poverty in this country is a sign that something is wrong with the individual.

For instance, during the BOOM, the unemployment rate was still 4%...who the heck were these 4%?  If you couldn't find a job during the boom, then you were simply unemployable.

Yes, but at the same time, those illegal aliens are illegally in this country, and employing them is also illegal. It just goes to show that corporations don't care, they will take anybody, especially if they can hold over their head the threat of being deported if they dare to report unsanitary or unsafe working conditions or ridiculously low wages. They often prefer to hire illegals because they want to pay low wages and be able to treat them however they'd like.

And these illegal aliens are mostly still poor! They fit the definition of being "in poverty." So the fact that they have jobs doesn't mean they aren't poor. The same goes for many other poor people who aren't immigrants, also.

The unemployment rates prove my point. Unemployment has been between 4-6%, but yet the poverty rate is about 12%.

A lot of people work, and are still poor. That should never be the case...anyone who has a job should be able to make enough to keep them above the poverty line. Corporations should feel a moral obligation to give something back to the workers in exchange for their hard work and pay them decent enough wages to be able to get by.

I agree that if someone is too lazy to get a job, and has no disability preventing them from working, they don't deserve our support. I don't support welfare except as a temporary helping hand for those who are in a situation that is not at all permanent in nature.

I'm talking about the working poor.

What is wrong with these people? How are they ignorant?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies