"White Flight" in the Jackson MSA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:48:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  "White Flight" in the Jackson MSA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: "White Flight" in the Jackson MSA  (Read 12185 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2004, 11:57:22 AM »

I'm not trying to stifle debate here, but c'mon, do you really understand what the "ghetto" is really like?  Have you ever really talked with anybody who lives here?

It really a lot better than the media lets on.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2004, 05:34:36 PM »

I'm not trying to stifle debate here, but c'mon, do you really understand what the "ghetto" is really like?  Have you ever really talked with anybody who lives here?

If you've ever spent time in the heart of Baltimore City. Not the nice inner harbor, then you would know what 'the hood' is all about. I would not even bet any white person (for fear of their life) to walk down North Avenue at 11pm.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2004, 05:55:09 PM »

If you've ever spent time in the heart of Baltimore City. Not the nice inner harbor, then you would know what 'the hood' is all about. I would not even bet any white person (for fear of their life) to walk down North Avenue at 11pm.

I have walked down the streets of North Philadelphia (Broad and Erie in Nicetown, Girard in Brewerytown) late at night many times.  A spot on NBC News on the lifting of the assault weapon ban was filmed three blocks from my house, with the implication that these were the "bad areas."  It's not.  This is just paranoia.

Do any of the people posting actually know anybody from the "'hood?"  Ever sat down and talked with us, visited them at home, socialized with us.  I think you might be pleasantly suprised.  We're not all that bad, really.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2004, 06:09:26 PM »

I have walked down the streets of North Philadelphia (Broad and Erie in Nicetown, Girard in Brewerytown) late at night many times.  A spot on NBC News on the lifting of the assault weapon ban was filmed three blocks from my house, with the implication that these were the "bad areas."  It's not.  This is just paranoia.

Do any of the people posting actually know anybody from the "'hood?"  Ever sat down and talked with us, visited them at home, socialized with us.  I think you might be pleasantly suprised.  We're not all that bad, really.

Yes I spent 20 years in the hood. I know EXACTLY what it's like to live there and EXACTLY what those hoodlums are like. That's why I left.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2004, 06:46:40 PM »

Yes I spent 20 years in the hood. I know EXACTLY what it's like to live there and EXACTLY what those hoodlums are like. That's why I left.

Then you would that 'hood doesn't refer to "hoodlums" but a shortened form "neighborhood," which is a more accurate description of the 'hood.

I've quoted a few things from Republicans, Democrats, and non-affiliated:

"Mostly because ghetto people don't care about improving their neighborhoods."

"... such solutions can't come from the people themselves, because they have too many other things to worry about, like simply trying to stay alive. It has to come from someone who has the resources along with the creativity to make it happen. Whether that comes from government or the private sector is irrelevant, but to blame the individuals for not caring when they have far bigger problems is not the right solution."

"So trust me when I tell you that most poor people in America are poor because they are fools.  They constantly make choices that perpetuate their poverty and it carries over into the appearance of their homes (and thus their neighborhoods)."

The message that I'm getting, from the Left and the Right, is that people in ghettos are really children that can't take care of themselves.  Either they are "fools," or massive governmental intervention is needed because they have created so many problems that the can't handle it (which I guess is another way of saying they are "fools").

The people that live in the "'hood" are cabable of running their own lives and prospering if left to their own devices.  If you really want to end ghetto problems, give the residents the ability to take control of their economic destiny.  Develope policies to help them do it.  We are entirely able to manage from cradle to grave and many (South Philadelphia and some sections of North Philadelphia as well, and of course Harlem) have done so even without government help. 

Provide good city services (plow the streets), give the people access to what they need and we'll take care of ourselves.  We might even start voting Republican!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2004, 07:35:33 PM »

Tell them to quit whining about being "oppressed" and the other such foolishness and maybe blacks in this country can finally get somewhere. Sad but true. I don't see the Jewish/Irish or other formerly oppressed groups running around crying every chance they get about how 'the man' did them wrong. Suck it up, get over it and move on!!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2004, 07:38:59 PM »

Tell them to quit whining about being "oppressed" and the other such foolishness and maybe blacks in this country can finally get somewhere. Sad but true. I don't see the Jewish/Irish or other formerly oppressed groups running around crying every chance they get about how 'the man' did them wrong. Suck it up, get over it and move on!!

And you have not heard me say it either.  I fankly don't know too many people in the 'hood that say that.  The only ones that I have are funded by Soris.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2004, 07:40:18 PM »

And you have not heard me say it either.  I fankly don't know too many people in the 'hood that say that.  The only ones that I have are funded by Soris.

I have heard it over and over again. Believe me. Its not so bad in the south as it is farther north. The people around here get along fairly well. Big urban areas such as Miami/Orlando is where you get the problems.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2004, 08:46:39 PM »

I have heard it over and over again. Believe me. Its not so bad in the south as it is farther north. The people around here get along fairly well. Big urban areas such as Miami/Orlando is where you get the problems.

You don't here it here.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2004, 06:54:54 AM »

Sad but true. Unreasonable fear for their lives. Drummed in by TV.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2004, 11:21:43 AM »

No. I grew up very close to that neighborhood. Believe me it's NOT unreasonable. Plus I have several relatives who were B.C. police officers. Even the police are scared to go into some neighborhoods.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2004, 10:17:27 PM »

No. I grew up very close to that neighborhood. Believe me it's NOT unreasonable. Plus I have several relatives who were B.C. police officers. Even the police are scared to go into some neighborhoods.

I live in a neighborhood that is 96% African American, in North Philadelphia.  I had a houseguest, an old friend, well connected with the GOP, about as conservative as I am.  He comes from a well connected political family (GOP) and has blond hair and blue eyes.  While he was here, he made a call to a friend who knew he was coming.

He said two things on that call, which made me laugh.

1.  "I've never seen so many Black people." (He lived in Atlanta for a year

2.  "Everybody here is nice."

Yep, he's been back. 

You've got to ignore the media. 
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2004, 11:14:35 PM »

There are places you just don't go if you're white.

Anyone that says otherwise is ignorant.

What, are crime rates made up? Crimes do happen. Not only do they happen, but violent crime is a "young minority male phenomenon" (words of my leftist sociology prof).

Sure, little old ladies in the hood don't rob you, but the self-styled gangstas sure might.

Urban revitalizations are under way in many places, but some are beyond hope. Detroit... sheesh.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2004, 11:29:14 PM »

There are places you just don't go if you're white.

Anyone that says otherwise is ignorant.

What, are crime rates made up? Crimes do happen. Not only do they happen, but violent crime is a "young minority male phenomenon" (words of my leftist sociology prof).

Sure, little old ladies in the hood don't rob you, but the self-styled gangstas sure might.

Urban revitalizations are under way in many places, but some are beyond hope. Detroit... sheesh.

North Philadelphia issuppose to be that way.  It isn't in reality.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2004, 11:48:13 PM »

I lived in a suburd of Johnstown, PA, prior to moving to Phila.  When I left, there were drive by shootings in some neighborhoods, by Jamacians.  Of course, they had to drive in to the area first.

BTW: The state senator there resigned and about sx months later, was arrested for smoking Crack.  Convicted, too.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2004, 11:02:13 AM »

But then, the police see every single blue-collar crime, losing sight of the big picture. And of course, the way they all too often behave, they'd better be afraid. Just like gangsters are afraid of the police - they have a reason to.
Let's face it: "Crime is a young minority male phenomenon" is about as true on the victim's side as the other one.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies